Let's talk Baseball for awhile

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by BobbyGator72, Jan 3, 2014.

1. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    The craziness and forecasts of doom over on the Swamp Gas and Recruiting boards are bringing me down. Who wants to look ahead and talk some Baseball. We are coming off of a tough year after a great run, but I think we will be much improved this year. Anyone want to comment on the team, or even better post a line card and take a swing at the rotation. GO GATORS (ALL GATORS)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. wrrgator

wrrgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    I'm ready to see the O&B run out at The Mac.
  3. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Anybody that can hit has a chance to crack the lineup. I think it's darn near guaranteed there will be at least 3 freshmen in the opening night lineup, and possibly more. Most of the returning regulars had their moments over the course of the season last year, but very few of them had good enough overall years to just pencil them in as locks for 2014.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,102
    Not sure I agree that 3 freshman are a lock for opening night, although it is possible.
    Of the 8 starting in the field, 6 should be returners. Gushue behind the plate, Martin and Turgeon up the middle, Shafer and Bader in the OF, and just gotta believe Tobias starts somewhere. That leaves 2 slots, likely first and RF up for grabs. If Powers could ever be healthy I think he would be a strong candidate to at least DH. Regardless, this freshman class will certainly play a big role and provide some much needed pop at the plate.
  5. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    I think Sternagel is going to beat out Tobias at 3rd. If the reports on him are accurate (including quotes from Sully), he'll simply be a better player.

I expect Tobias to slide into more of a super utility role this year. He finally got some work in the outfield during the Fall.
  6. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,102
    Yeah, Josh could slide to the OF. But my guess is he starts at 3rd if healthy and Sternagel is in the mix to DHalong with the young guys that play first. Regardless, all those guys will play, I'm sure we see a lot of different starting lineups first month of the season.
  7. ursidman

ursidman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,277
    One thing I noticed about the guys Sully recruited was there is some serious beef. Our lineup last season was a bit diminutive and not a lot of power - mostly singles hitters. As a group, the incoming players are some big fellers. Hope it translates to some more power.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  8. bigtifosi

bigtifosi Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    I was going to mention this. Many times last season you could look at our players and the opposition and see a noticeable "bulk" difference.
  9. ursidman

ursidman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,277
    yep. Heard Sully on the radio today talking about the team. He sounded excited for the season to begin. He mentioned A.J. Puk (6'7") as both a hitter and pitcher and Sternagel (6'4") as a hitter with power in particular. Also mentioned Alonso (6'3")as potentially something special. Said all 3 should contribute a lot as freshman.

PLAY BALL!
  10. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +335
    Need the bats badly.