Leron Black

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gator_gary, Aug 5, 2013.

1. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +454
    Arizona was nothing before Lute Olsen. It is a perfect example of a school that will or will not succeed depending on who it hires as its coach. Even UK stumbled when it didn't have the right coach.
  2. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +873
    All, please stop quoting gator_gary. It avoids the ignore function. Thanks
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    Arizona is a fringe blue blood institution with one championship and really only a 25 year history with Lute. I include them in the blue blood conversation because their time with Lute was pretty amazing. Recruiting at big name basketball factories is just that, big name recruiting, to a large extent. For instance, what in the world has Sean Miller ever done in his life besides go to a few elite 8s and a sweet 16 or two. Go look at Arizona's recruiting classes the last few years and tell me he wasn't using their brand name for success. You think he could have obtained those classes at Xavier? Please. To some extent it is coaching, but coaches can rarely work massive recruiting hauls without a basketball factory behind them.
  4. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    And of course UK stumbled when they didn't have the right coach, but it wasn't hard for them to go get the right coach. Why you may ask? Well that is simple Tampa, because their basketball following is like our football following and anyone would want to work there. If you were a big time bball coach, and Billy left Florida, are you going to jump at this job? Probably not. Why is that? Well for starters, we have an apathetic fan base. Round and round we go. Isn't this fun.
  5. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Wow Gary, "Blue Blood" is a term basketball fans of schools with poor athletic programs but decent basketball programs have coined. I prefer my coinage of one sport athletic programs. So yes teams like UK, Duke, IU, and Zona on the fringe are one sport athletic programs who only matter in basketball and NOTHING ELSE. There are not blue bloods but one dimensional. I will have more on who has been good at recruiting later maybe tonight.
  6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    I was at both games as well.

Your 4K to 5K estimates are way too low.

A couple of thousand no-show season ticket holders for a mid week game is normal. That is the nature of our fan base and where the school is in the State.

And there are other problems. When students didn't get into the Level 1 RR section they scanned in to get RR "credit" and left. Another problem is that neither UW nor Marquette have a huge local fan base, so there wasn't that much activity to pick up tickets on StubHub. Thirdly, maybe you need to take your shoes off when you need to count that high.

Added in edit: Sorry for the "quote". I will do it differently next time.
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    I disagree.

I bet Spurrier and Meyer left because of the unrealistic expectations of the football fan-base.
  8. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    Insti, I have always followed recruiting religiously. I am less concerned with who we got in our classes and more concerned with who we targeted, and of those subsequent targets, who we missed on. I am well aware of how we have faired in regard to everyone else(i.e. who we have gotten and our ranking every year). You do not need to make a list for me.
  9. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    If you guys have never been, go to statsheet.com

It'll give you guys a ton of info on past recruits, burger boys, etc.

I am not advertising, I just think it's a really good site
  10. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    I can forgive your argument about attendance as we are no UK but the bolded line borders on ridiculous. In that way, shape, or form is our recruiting headed in the wrong direction? We are always going to have a tough go competing with Calipari but we have gotten our fair share of great recruits and there seems to be no sign of that stopping. This year we pulled in two McDs players. We've already have two top 50 guys signed on for next year and we are on the short list for a ridiculous number of other top recruits (Lyles, Johnson, Looney, Winslow, Victor, Black are all top 25). We've also already got a top 60 player for 2015.

So I ask again...in what way, shape, or form is our recruiting headed in the wrong direction?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DuPontGator

DuPontGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +254
  12. DuPontGator

DuPontGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +254
  13. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    Headed in the wrong direction, meaning we miss an awful lot. The big boys rarely miss, and when they do, their backup plans are still very good. Our backup plans are projects. Some of those projects turn out to be good, others, not so much. We get our name mentioned with a lot of the top targets (a credit to Billy), but rarely win battles for who we want with the big boys. I will say billy has done a pretty good job locking down Florida, save for Washington, Rivers, Russell and a couple others that slip my mind. And I know about appelby, Harvey, Nelson, lee, white, thunder Dan, Lucas, beal, miller, etc. Out of staters. The last few years have been rough on the misses. The transfers have been direct products of misses. You can look at hill and walker, but go look at who we missed on. You can look at beal, but go look at who we missed on. Credit to Donovan for revolutionizing the transfer market. He has put is in good shape with/because of transfers
  14. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,660
    Why in the sam hell are you so worried about who we miss on? None of them play bb for UF. The only ones I concern myself with are those that come to Florida and want to play for Donovan. If you wish to spend your time dwelling on the misses then so be it but I won't. All programs miss on kids they want even Cal doesn't get them all. Billy Donovan does a fantastic job and that is the real bottom line of the Gator bb program.
  15. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    In order to get better, you always must dwell on who you miss. It's not wise to say 'we didn't get such and such, he isn't on our team so he must be terrible.'

Is anyone watching Adidas nations on the U. Stan Johnson and Justice Winslow are pretty nice.
  16. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    By the way, Billy D was at the beach today walking his dog. Kinda weird that I know that. Hopefully he texted Leron a few times.
  17. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,660
    That's Billy and his coaches jobs Unless you are somehow in on recruiting these kids then you're just spinning your wheels.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    You should go to awesome recruiting and see what happens when we miss on a recruit. Go to catspause, the shiver or point guard U and see what happens when they miss out on a recruit. Don't settle for mediocrity guys. We gotta give Billy the resources to be great and compete with the big boys on a level playing field (hardwood if you will). Caring about basketball and giving the program better fan support can fix that. You guys on here know that (even though some deny it). Tell your friends. Run go tell that
  19. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    We are never going to be Kentucky or Duke or Kansas. We are going to have more misses then them. Who cares? Enjoy the Bradley Beals and the chandler Parsons. Enjoy the players here.
  20. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Long before the internet a Gatorbait writer, maybe Marty Cohen, cleared this up for me. He was talking about football but the same thing goes for basketball. You offer and miss on many more guys than you get everyone does. So you must concentrate on your roster, not who you missed on.

BTW, I am not preparing a post merely for you. I am looking into something on recruiting, but it will need to wait until tomorrow now.