Leron Black

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gator_gary, Aug 5, 2013.

1. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    We barely broke 6k for Marquette and Wisconsin. That doesn't seem 'fine.' I just know what I saw, and that is all I can speak on. The SEC games were better, and yes, the atmosphere was much better than it had been in the previous years. I felt almost the same type of energy that existed during and before the championship years. The only glaring problem was butts in the seats.
    Paid attendance is much different than actual attendance, and I am not entirely sure how to fix that. Insti makes a good point. I think last year the ticket office started some program to get more people to use or donate their tickets, but I don't remember what that was called. I also don't recall what effect that had on attendance.
  2. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    Yep in 2007 UF had a great recruiting class, but not such a good roster as guys like Lucas, Tyus, Parson, Calathes etc were young and not strong enough for college basketball yet.

In 2011 and 2012 UF did not have a great recruiting classes, but in 2011-12 and and 2012-13 UF had excellent rosters. So I am with you, I will take a great roster over a great recruiting class any day.
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,285
    Did we really pass on Embid?
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +450
  5. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    We also seemingly had a great class with Kadji, Vargas, Shipman, and Chaney. We all know how that turned out. Usually though, like in most sports, the schools that get more highly rated guys, usually have more success. We have brought in depth with transfers, which is kinda a new and novel idea. Billy has certainly blazed a trail with this transfer game.
  6. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +305
    Wisconsin was a Wed game and attendance is listed at 9,614.

For 2014 ESPN ranks us the number 4 class. You seem hell bent on degrading our program, and I don't follow. We support the notion of adding to attendance but your false claims of impacting recruiting are getting a bit out of hand.
  7. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    GatorLurker, those are nice figures, but again, that is paid attendance vs. actual attendance. Actual attendance is the one that hurts your national perception and implies that you have a fanbase that doesn't care about bball.

Brockway gave the actual attendance numbers for those games here:
    http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20121221/articles/121229949
  8. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I am an avid Gator fan Brewski, and I am in no way attacking the program. I am just pointing out the obvious and trying fix your problems with denial.
  9. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Plus I was at the Marquette and Wisconsin games GatorLurker, and our attendance for those games was downright embarrassing. It was nowhere close to 10k. Being there I estimated about 4k to 5k. In highschool we had some big games with comparable crowds.
  10. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +305
    Your not going to fix my "problem." As I've said many times, we'd all like to see more folks in the stands, but I'm thrilled with the program, Billy's recruiting and where we are heading. The 40m refurbish of the ODome looks amazing as well.
  11. flwgator2

flwgator2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +323
    Kansas is a bigger "name" school than Wisconsin or Marquette. With the best recruit since Lebron also coming to town, I bet the O-dome will be rocking.
  12. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I hope Kansas has the place packed. I can't wait for that game.
  13. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I think Seldon is a stud. Wiggins and Embid up front will be intense. Frankencamp can shoot it. Greene will be a good Freshman too. Kansas went from a lot of peoples 10-15 range to top 5 range with Wiggins. I think Tharpe is back at PG, and he isn't chopped liver. They have some questions with their youth, but will be extremely talented.
  14. flwgator2

flwgator2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +323
    The story about Embiid is he is late bloomer who exploded his senior year. The staff really slow played him when the HS coaches begged him to offer. It doesn't help that Luc Mbah a Moute was his mentor. The coaches offer him a little too late. Then he went to the Kansas midnight madness, and it's game over.
  15. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +678
    Kansas' class is underrated - and its highly rated. Self has been on a roll lately as far as producing an elite team most years. They're going to be good. Pitino, for whatever his opinion is worth, said recently that he thinks Kansas has the first 2 picks of next years NBA draft on their team.
  16. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    flwgator2 hit it on the head about Embiid.
  17. UFG8rGuy3283

UFG8rGuy3283 Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    I respectfully disagree.

Beal, Frazier, Hill and Walker make 3 MCDAAs in 3 years and Frazier flew under the radar due to tranferring to Monverde to play with better players and for a better coach. Otherwise, I believe he would have been a consensus top 20 player with his size and shooting ability.

This doesnt even mention the transfers in Carter, Harris and DFS who could all start at many D1 schools.

I'm not sure what people expect with basketball recruiting. I don't care how many times its said, the truth is we only sniff the top talent because of Billy. Otherwise, this would be like it was before - we would be a run of the mill basketball program toiling in mediocrity.

I thought we've been recruiting lights out lately...I wonder if it would come across the same way if we also got one of Randle or Parker.
  18. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +370
    There are practically no programs that recruit well without the right coach, including UK, UNC and UCLA. If Billy ever leaves, we will be okay if we replace him with the right coach. Look at UNC between Dean Smith and Roy Williams, UK between Pitino and Calipari, Louisville between Crum and Pitino, UCLA after Wooden, Arkansas after Nolan Richardson, Indiana betwen Knight and Crean, St. John's between Carnesecca and Lavin, and the list goes on. IMO, there are no permanent blue blood programs. They all need the right coach.
  19. UFG8rGuy3283

UFG8rGuy3283 Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    I would again respectfully disagree. UK, Duke, Louisville, UCLA....they all, at least to a certain degree recruit by name alone. A good recruiting coach certainly is jey anywhere, but it's no surprise that a guy like Cal has ridiculous success at UK compared to even Memphis. The school and school name does matter, imo.

And I still believe that most hoops recruits realize we are a football first school.
  20. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    UFG8rGuy3283, I agree with everything you have said. We have recruited very well for what we are. It is a monumental tribute to Donovan and what he was able to do. As far as blue blood institutions, those absolutely exist, and they may have a rough patch or two (See Arizona between Lute and Sean Miller or UK between tubby and Cal), but they eventually get who they want because of their name. Those schools are always able to recruit because of their name. Most hoops recruits do realize we are a football school first, and that will probably never change. It's just that most big time recruits want to go to hoops schools first and foremost. They want hoops all the time, not to play second fiddle to football. I am very happy with Beal, Walker, and Hill and I know Frazier flew under the radar. He got hurt by transferring. All I am saying is that we could put ourselves in better position with some of these big boys if we gave Billy D some help and turned into more of a basketball institution. If these big boys saw a rabid fan base and weren't coming to watch football games on their official visits, I think we could get a lot more of them.