Left worried about Cruz?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PSGator66, Sep 30, 2013.

1. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    Agreed. He gets a certain percentage excited, but that type always wilts under any real scrutiny simply because he traffics in so much falsehood and exaggeration.
  2. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +296
    The Moochers of America will never elect anyone conservative again-until t's too late.
  3. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Yeah, let's put in a couple of appeasers like McCain and Dole, that worked real well. Romney was not exactly a bomb thrower, he was about as diplomatic as it gets, but that worked out real well, too.
  4. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    and when you lose, you just blame it on moochers. really no different than Sharpton blaming everything on racists. no different at all.
  5. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +342
    Cruz is nothing more than a rabble rousing ideologue that does more harm than good. He knows how to stir up the right-wing extremists but that's about it. I sure hope that he makes it as the Pub's presidential nominee. It would be a slam-dunk pub loss on the order of Goldwater-proportions. You never know, though, the pub party has been veering further and further to the right, so they might just feel froggy enough to choose him.

[​IMG]
  6. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    Truthfulness is really a separate issue. Most voters just don't care for that style in a presidential candidate. Howard Dean is the last one that comes to mind, and after an initial burst his candidacy went nowhere.

Personal style is just part of the package in a presidential candidate. Ideally, a candidate's personality attracts votes from people who don't necessarily share his/her views on the issues. For an extreme example, think Obamamania in 2008.

Cruz' style will have the opposite effect in a national race. It will cost him votes, rather than gaining them. For a candidate like Cruz whose policy positions don't have majority support, that's not a prescription for victory.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    do you guys forget that Cruz was born in Canada? for all those birthers that believed Obama was born in Kenya and shouldn't be the president should realize his canadian ass cant become president
  8. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +634
    Doesn't matter that he was born in Canada.
  9. geauxgator1

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I will disagree on that point.
    I think he will get the base excited, something that hasn't happened since GW Bush II.
  10. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,589
    Woohoo, 21% of the vote here we come!

In all seriousness, "exciting" the tea party doesn't do much good if, like Cruz, you also run off all the moderate republicans and alienate everyone without an R on their voter registration cards in the process.
  11. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,147
    It was enough to win in 2000 and 2004.
  12. geauxgator1

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    The base is a lot more than the Tea Party, although that's part of it. The average conservative that doesn't get to the polls because they are uninspired and have been laying low in the last two elections, are what we are talking about. If they get excited about a candidate, then conservatives can win.
  13. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,589
    Cruz is way right of Bush. Bush won moderate Republican votes, Cruz can't.

Want an example? I voted for Bush twice, the only way I even consider voting for Ted Cruz is if the Dems nominate Elizabeth Warren. I'll put the R voter registration away long enough to gladly vote for either Hillary or Biden if Cruz is the nominee.

Cruz is an electoral trainwreck in a national election, although if that's what we need to shut the Tea Party up and let our party get back to actually doing something, maybe that's not all a bad thing.
  14. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    really? so to some who think our current president was born in Kenya makes him ineligible to become president, yet it's okay for a Canadian?
  15. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,589
    So cute, the "somewhere we have undiscovered nutjobs who might win us elections if only we can get crazy enough to bring them out from their compounds" fantasy that completely ignores how many people you run off chasing this nonexistant "base."
  16. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +634
    Both are natural born so, no, it doesn't matter.
  17. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,429
    This
  18. geauxgator1

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I think you are wanting to court the non existent "moderates" that are nothing more than democrats that claim to listen to both sides of an issue, and don't want to appear to be too leftist. Thye claim to "listen" to both sides before voting democratic. That's Mccain's base. Praise his enlightened views, and cheer John on and then they keep voting lefty. Keep falling for the same old line, eventually you may see the light..
  19. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,589
    I'm wanting to court myself. I vote Republican in presidential elections, but if Republicans nominate nuts I will not hesitate to vote Democratic.

I also think it is wholly irrational, given the demographic shifts in the country, to continue courting a smaller and smaller "base" - one that's already small enough to be at real risk of losing elections even when they all vote - while running off a bunch of voters that you do have and ensuring that the fastest growing demographic groups in the country won't ever vote for you because of the positions you have to take to win that "base".

Throwing away the foreseeable future of the party in the hopes that the demographics might let our "grumpy old religious rich white men" strategy work for at most one or two more electoral cycles would seem to be the height of insanity, at least to me.
  20. geauxgator1

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I think you are wanting to court the non existent "moderates" that are nothing more than democrats that claim to listen to both sides of an issue, and don't want to appear to be too leftist. Thye claim to "listen" to both sides before voting democratic. That's Mccain's base. Praise his enlightened views, and cheer John on and then they keep voting lefty. Keep falling for the same old line, eventually you may see the light..