Lebron's Dunk

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by rserina, Dec 21, 2013.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,679
    I know everyone has seen the dunk:

But what struck me was James's comments about it:
    http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489260

I know some still begrudge Lebron for the Decision or for the fame he had as a prep or even for the unfair comparisons others have made of him to Jordan, but I find him terribly hard to dislike. He really is everything positive about basketball: a team first guy who works hard on his game, has great relationships around the league, and does anything it takes to win. And, so far as I know, he never punched Steve Kerr in practice.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,756
    I'm with you. Freak talent, tremendous team player, constantly strives to get better, and is a good guy who consistently presents himself in a positive fashion.

The initial "show" that he, Wade and Bosch put on when he signed with the Heat was a mistake, but seeing as it's about the only mistake I can think of that he's made, he took way too much flack for it.

Much respect for Lebron.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gaturguru

gaturguru Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    Im so glad this thread was made as I have been defending him for the past year. He has matured nicely since "the decision". He seems to be very passionate, says all the right things and gives back in his free time. I've heard a few bad things about Jordan but NOTHING has been coming out about Lebron that can be substantiated recently.

I think some people just hate him because he is the best and just keeps on winning. It is why Tebow was so hated around CFB circle so much.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    Lebron is the man. look at his stat lines, its unreal! this guy is the most efficient player in the league by far. freak of nature and great ambassador for the game, other the the decision(which raised a ton of money for boys and girls club so it really doesnt bother me that much) i can't see how people don't like him.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Angaza

Angaza Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    His efficiency this year is very impressive-64% EFG%! Durant is 2nd with 54.1.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +744
    Love lebron. Love all the talent in the league right now too.

The only thing he really needs to work on is his free throw shooting. He's still not shooting 80% from the line
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,679
    Sure, Corp. He will squeeze that in right between flying faster than a locomotive and serving as US Ambassador to North Korea.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,756
    If Rodman can do it... ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    Love the color guy getting on McLemore for attempting to play defense...SMH.
  10. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    He's a humble person, in as much as he may be considered the best ever at some point. Class act, grown into a man right before our eyes.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,202
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Yep, he sure did. I always like Lebron, never could understand the hate he received for coming to the Heat. The Tebow support just cemented my admiration for the guy, not afraid to say what's right, and he's a great role model for kids imho.
  13. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +483
    He's a lot easier to like when he's winning. He's been down right childish when on the losing end of a series. Outside of that, I agree he's pretty likable.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,679
    Most great players are like that, though outside of the loss to Orlando with the Cavs, I can't remember another onerous example of it.
  15. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +483
    His comments about "haters" having to go back to their life after the loss to the Mav's was pretty off putting, considering his fans also have to go back to their lives.

It was a stupid question for the reporter to ask, but he really couldn't have answered it any more childishly.
  16. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +549
    LeBron is the best basketball player in the world right now, and it's not even close. Glad to see he's finally winning titles, even if the last one had to come at the expense of my Spurs. He's a class act, and a great ambassador for the sport. Haters gonna hate, I guess.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  17. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    The decision wasn't his best moment, but I agree that he's hard to dislike. Hard to find a star in the NBA that more guys want to play with. As much of a spotlight that is on him, he sure seems to stay out of the news for negative, personal reasons too.

What drives me crazy is the basketball culture that looks down on a player who got dunked on. Ben tried to take a charge and, instead, got pretty much jumped over by one of the biggest, strongest athletes on the face of the earth. Ben was standing still, Lebron was pretty much flying at full speed towards the basket. Why should this be humiliating for the player on defense? Well, other than the fact that we've all somehow decided that it should be humiliating for him, of course. I understand when it involves circumstances where the defender is in a legit position to defend the incoming dunk. Just seems like most posterizations involve someone that looks more like a deer in headlights than a defender with a chance.

I could also do without Lebron's pose (staring down at McLemore) after the dunk. I realize that this is just what players do though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +614
    You really have to be a true hater to not like Lebron.
  19. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,443
    Thanks for posting rserina.

But, I guess I'm one of the ones who makes "unfair" comparisons to Jordan - at least in terms of the GOAT question (not their style of play). Actually, my comparison is more of LeBron to Wilt, because, after almost 40 years, I replaced Wilt with LeBron at the top of my personal GOAT list for the NBA.

I can see how it's kind of unfair to LeBron to suggest he's better than Jordan, because of the the extreme backlash against LeBron it often creates. But, why is that? When someone says (or posts) that they think Russell or Wilt or Magic or whoever is the GOAT (instead of Jordan), it doesn't seem to create as much of a backlash as saying LeBron is the GOAT. I wonder why.

That said, I agree LeBron is a pretty likable guy and a heckuva player.
  20. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    I loved him when he first got to the NBA. Then some things really turned my opinion of him negative (e.g. the decision, not shaking hands after a loss, etc.). Today I am somewhere in the middle. I don't feel too strongly about him in either direction, as a persona.

However, as a player, regurgi and I agree that he is already the best of all time. I look forward to seeing what the rest of his career brings.