Lebron To Become a Free Agent...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by UFG8rGuy3283, Jun 24, 2014.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    No doubt. I live in St. Louis right now and consider it my favorite place to live, including my hometown of Tampa and my alma mater town Gainesville (gasp!). I hate the winters because our kids drive us nuts stuck inside the house, but there is more to life than weather. Better education, better civil services, better healthcare, better cultural amenities, etc. Of course, ask my Houston-bred wife and she would trade our entire family for a chance to live in Tampa. To each one's own.

But in my opinion James and his crew did not base their opinion upon a preference for living in Cleveland over Miami; they based it on the deep roots to the communities where they were raised (let's not forget that the guy who brokered this entire situation, Rich Paul, is the only guy in Lebron's camp from Cleveland proper), their reservations about the directions of the Miami organization versus the possibilities of Cleveland's roster, the Heat's unwillingness to accommodate James's entourage the way Cleveland did, and James's own personal guilt over leaving Cleveland. This wasn't as simple as Cleveland > Miami. As a matter of fact, I don't think that had a blessed thing to do with it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    Miami:
  3. diamondted13

diamondted13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    LeBron and his crew/inner cirle/posse/family are going back to Cleveland because it's home. Period. That's not hard to understand. LeBron, after all, married his high school sweetheart, and his crew consists mostly of high school teammates/friends. Comfort, trust, and security are obviously big things for him.

To each his/her own, and I'm not about to debate Cle/Mia with folks (yes, I've been to both as I have a good friend in Akron). Because Miami is certainly not for everyone, and tends to draw very visceral responses from many. As a Miami native, I'm tired of having those arguments. But I think it's safe to say that if you took a poll nationally or internationally, and asked obscenely wealthy people their preference, Miami takes at least 90% of the vote. We're not talking about middle-class schlubs here, like myself. I'm a native and Miami is definitely not for me at this point in my life (42/married/children). Hypothetically, however, if I was a multi-millionaire there would be very few places in this country I would choose to live over Miami. I think just about every NBA player not from Akron would take Miami over Cleveland.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    Thinking about this more, the Carmello Anthony situation is much the same. Everyone is reviling Anthony for taking the money to stay in NYC rather than chasing titles in Chicago. The irony of how sports media/fans spin this is just fascinating. James was attacked tooth and nail for taking less money to go after titles in Miami, then is celebrated for taking the max to return to a loaded Cleveland roster back home rather than taking a shorter max deal and trying to help Miami get back to the top. Yet Anthony chose to remain with the team to which he forced a trade in the city where he was born and his wife was raised, despite their absolute lack of immediate or future assets, and everyone wants to make this about the money (including his purported buddy, Steven "Ass" Smith).

Don't get me wrong: James's story is quite redemptive, but it is also a much better opportunity for him in both the short term and the long term. But it seems to me Anthony has made a far greater sacrifice in terms of his aspirations and is doing so almost out of blind faith in Phil Jackson.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Exactly. LeBron is married with kids. He's done the Miami thing. And: rich NBA players don't necessarily live in one place. They have access to the entire world in the offseason. It's not like he's shackled to the Cleveland community for the rest of his existence. He can experience what the world has to offer when it's not basketball season. So yes, the Cleveland vs Miami argument in terms of lifestyle is a bit overblown.
  6. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Ridiculous isn't it? Glad Carmelo is staying put. While I admire LeBron's move to Cleveland, I didn't really want to see another megastar switch teams. It's just too much for one offseason. I think some continuity is good for the game. And it's good when the Knicks have a chance at being relevant. Let's see what Phil Jackson can do with the Knicks. He's definitely got some cards up his sleeve. He needed Melo, though, to have a chance at building a competitive team in the near future. With Melo and a few quality supporting pieces, the Knicks should be able to attract quality free agents in the next couple of offseasons.
  7. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Now, the most compelling storyline in this free agency period (and maybe beyond that) is the Kevin Love saga. He's got a beastly PER statistic, and of course he's an elite scorer and rebounder. Defensively, I think he's just average. Minnesota wants Wiggins. Do you dump Wiggins to get Love? It's a tough call. And frankly, Love rubs me the wrong way as far as personality and attitude go. He sort of reminds me of Dwight Howard. He laments about not making the playoffs, saying the organization needs to make better moves. But for a franchise player to make those comments is disturbing, even if they are somewhat true. Is Love playing the best possible defense night in, night out to stop other teams from scoring? Is he really giving it his all? Or is he just filling up the stat sheet and making himself as marketable as possible? Don't like his vibe at all.

If I'm Cleveland, I balk at trading Wiggins and stand pat with the offer of Bennett and Waiters plus a pick. LeBron mentoring Wiggins is something that I want to see as a basketball fan. I really think Wiggins has TMac-like ability both offensive and defensively (yes, he was elite defensively when he was fired up). Love just doesn't seem like a glue/chemistry guy to me. Soft. And with what we've seen from teams like San Antonio, team cohesion seems to be the most important thing, provided you have enough star power. With Irving, LeBron, and Wiggins, I think Cleveland already has the requisite star power, without needing to get Love. Varejao is a great dirty-work player, and Tristan Thompson is a guy who can be groomed. Keep the core intact and let it play out. When will teams finally take a hint from organizations like the Spurs and Thunder: let your promising talent develop.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  8. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,151
    Not sure I agree, but interesting thoughts.

You may be right; I haven't watched Love enough to have much of a vibe yet - although he does have impressive skills. Funny thing is - I have somewhat similar reservations about Wiggins who didn't always seem fully engaged to me. But, appearances can be deceiving. That's for sure!
  9. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,151
    Well said!

I find it easier to respect a player for forfeiting a few million to play for a contender. But, I certainly can't condemn any player for maximizing his earnings.

Sort of like how I view college players leaving early for the pros. I really appreciate/respect players who stay in college (even when a consensus arises that they're being foolish to stay). But, I have no problem with any player that decides to leave early (again, even if the general consensus is that they should stay in school).

What's amazing to me is how wound up people get with their levels of love and (particularly) hate for players based on these decisions. LeBron is my favorite player, but I haven't even read the letter; not that interested. C'mon people; they're just deciding where to play basketball. It's not like Adams deciding to align with the Patriots versus the Loyalists; or Lee deciding between fighting for Virginia versus the U.S. :cool:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    I sure as heck wouldn't sacrifice Wiggins immediately. Give it some time. Flip Saunders is fine letting it play out a bit, and they sure as heck won't send Love to Golden State or Boston without at least checking with Cleveland one last time about Wiggins. Plus, I would want to see how things look with this team at the outset. If you add Miller, then maybe Allen or a veteran backup guard, you will have Varejao/Haywood at the five, Thompson/Bennett at the four, James/Wiggins/Miller/Waiters on the wings, and Irving at the one. Bennett looks much improved, and of course Wiggins is Wiggins, so there is a chance that team could be pretty darn competitive even without Love, provided they pick up Blatt's system, mesh together with James, stay healthy, etc. Heck, if you give it some time and Bennett looks the part, you might be able to get away with him plus the Haywood or Varejao deals. Never know.

On Love himself, as a part-time Rockets fan who has seen them flirt with acquiring Love a bit, I honestly do have mixed feelings. The guy is an offensive machine, without question. He can shoot from anywhere on the perimeter, he is solid scoring on the blocks, and he is a tremendous passer. He is also an insanely productive rebounder for a guy who doesn't jump a lick and isn't too terribly long. But his defense in the past has been certifiably terrible. He isn't quick enough to defend fours who play outside the paint (which basically means just about every four in the league nowadays) and he simply cannot defend the rim along the backline of your defense. You would need to team with a legitimate, defensive-minded five like Varejao, but how much does he even have left in the tank? The guy has bean injured wreck for several seasons now. The last thing Cleveland can afford come playoff time is to have 2-3 sieves out there on defense in Irving, Love, Waiters, etc.
  11. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +859
    For like 8 months of the year in Cleveland you don't get to see the sun. Yeah there is a 2-3 month period of nice weather but for the most part it is EXTREMELY dreary. It is also ranked 7th in the US in violent crime per 100,000 people. Miami isn't much better at 15th but I wouldn't live in either city.
  12. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,141
    My parents told me it was bad to look at the sun.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    If you look up the actual weather averages for Cleveland, it will tell you that from Mid February to mid November the temps are between 50 and 84 degrees. So actually there's only about 3 months where it's in the 30's. OSU fans always complain about southern teams not having to play in the cold but they rarely do as well (1 or 2 games most a season).

Now, I hate the cold and the snow. That's why most northerners retire to the south. It's the only reason why I left Cleveland. It's only 3 or 4 months out of the year but I just don't like shoveling and slipping around. Yet for 7 - 9 months the weather is pretty good. I miss the evening chill, the 4 seasons, the leaves in fall, better air quality, lack of pollen.

It all depends on the person. I think a city is what you make of it and the grass is only greener where you water it. Like someone else said, a lot depends on your circumstance. If you're broke, you really aren't going to enjoy living anywhere. If you have money, any city can be fun. I loved living in LA when I was single and had money. I was absolutely terrified of the thought of raising my family there which is why I left. I could see myself retiring back in California because the weather is awesome.

I've never really liked living in Florida (Orlando, Miami, Jax and Tampa for a bit). Gainesville was good being in college but not many opportunities outside of the university. Florida is not a leading state for technology and big business. It's a tourist/transient state. My line of work just isn't in Florida. Because people move around so much it's hard to have long lasting friends in Florida from my experience. I would also say that it's harder to find people you can relate to intellectually in Florida as well. I found the woman in Florida to be shallow, not very cultured and not real challenging. Pretty much the same in Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina from my experience.

Other people will have other views and none is neither right or wrong. I just felt the national media dumping on Cleveland 4 years ago and using the city as fodder was very misguided.

14. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +714
    The media lives off of stereotypes (of people, corporation, cities etc.). If they didn't, they would have to do (gasp!) research for a change.
  15. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +859
    I wasn't talking about the snow or temperature just the cloudiness and dreariness (though the snow is its own issue).

Also, Gainesville is one of the most enjoyable cities to live in (as long as you aren't seeking big city life). It is a totally different town when you live away from UF. Living in northwest Gainesville it is quiet, there is no shortage of outdoor activities, very good food, and you have Tampa/Orlando/Jax all within 1.5 hours. Not too big and not too small.
  16. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +775
    Hope you didn't spend too much time coming up with those. Still find the Lifestyle comparison irrelevant if not absurd in the Lebron decision. Guess Dwade choosing Miami over Chicago a couple of years ago makes Miami a better place to live than Chicago and the same for Bosh choosing Miami over Houston?

As for Miami, I lived in Miami when I was younger and found the different ethnicities made it exciting and never boring, hence my comment and that was before South Beach became so prominent. Now live in Ft Lauderdale and love it, totally hate going down to Miami and fighting the traffic and would never live there. For me Ohio is the epitome of boring, but boring isn't always bad. As the saying goes I spent a year there one weekend.
  17. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +775
    Ha ha, Yea I was just up in the "garden state".
  18. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +775
    You're trying toooo hard. We have airports in S Fla with direct flights to most anywhere, probably even Cleveland.
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    But they are probably delayed or cancelled seven months of the year due to lake effect.
  20. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,073
    I don't know if Cleveland is "loaded", but I do know this.....I had the pleasure of watching King James for 4 years. The guy has played a lot of basketball. Every night he had to bring it because everybody wanted to beat the Heat, regular season or not. You saw the effects this season. Remember, even with King James, the Heat came in second in the East and was not just beaten, but executed by the Spurs.

What does this all mean? First and foremost, Lebron can tell his "loaded" team what to expect, but until they experience it, they will have no idea. All of a sudden there are no more taking nights off. All of a sudden, Irving is catching an elbow to his mouth he generally doesn't catch. All of a sudden, going on the road becomes that much more of a grind. Every game is like a playoff game. Lebron had great veterans surrounding him in Miami. Guys with experience who got it, and it STILL wore their arses out. Now he brings the show to Cleveland. Maybe his "loaded" team steps up. I just wouldn't bet the farm on it. What the Heat did the past 4 seasons is not just good but historic, as in it doesn't happen very often at all.
    • Like Like x 1