1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Lebron To Become a Free Agent...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by UFG8rGuy3283, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +902
    I agree Art, and just had a similar thought this morning as this process has dragged on. Which was worse, The Decision, or him putting almost the entire free agency period league-wide on hold while he's doing his soulsearching for 2+ weeks?
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,090
    I disagree entirely. Since when is it incumbent on him to make a prompt decision? What if he in fact wants to see where some chips fall first? He has given Riley plenty of time to line up moves, and right now all he sees is McRoberts, Granger, Napier, and maybe Temple.

I find it terribly ironic that James can't win either way. He holds a very calculated free agency tour with a definitive announcement, then he gets criticized for drawing too much attention to himself. Now, he runs a fairly subtle, clandestine exploration of prospective teams through Paul, then gets castigated for taking too much time and not being public enough.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jcp

jcp VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +808
    Liking LeBron again! :D

I wonder how many fans are left in Miami. 4 or 5? Or is that estimate too high?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +902
    Where did I castigate him? Where do I even say that was my position? I only said...this was a thought I had this morning. As in, "hmm, I wonder if people will criticize him for taking too long". I never did so myself because that would be petty and foolish. Sorry, I could have been more clear on where I stood.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,152
    Yep.

Why would people think LeBron is just "soulsearching" or studying his navel or whatever for that last few weeks? It makes more sense that he is monitoring the moves teams are making so he can go to a good situation (i.e., where he's not trying to single-handedly carry the team in the Finals again).

I heard someone (it sounded like the heavy/fat guy that I keep seeing on ESPN discussing this) on Cowherd's show this morning saying that he thinks LeBron is not seeing any good situations available, and for that reason he was guessing that LeBron will end up signing a short-term contract (1 year with a 1-year option) with Miami.
  6. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +775
    Been away a couple of days, so I missed this. Have to say I've heard Miami called a lot of things but never heard the city called boring before. That's quite creative, thanks for the laugh. Btw, I've been to both places also and Cleveland is all yours. Congrats to all the Cleveland fans.
  7. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +829
    Even if the Cavs end up with Love to go with Irving. LBJ is still going to have the carry the load since both those two miss 30+ games a year EVERY YEAR with injuries
  8. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,324
    I chuckled when I read that. IF you take away the beaches from Miami, well at least they have the beaches. I despise everything about miami but ohio is an absolutely miserable state.
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,090
    Was speaking more generally about potential discontent, in addition to the post you quoted from Art.
  10. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Lebron James and a bunch of his friends and family disagrees with you. BTW - The beach and the mall ain't all that.

The arrogance Miami fans have had as if Miami is a better destination was proven wrong. :p

11. mac4lyfe

Ratings Received:
    +844
    A quick google search of "City Miami Boring..."

http://www.city-data.com/forum/miami/28775-south-florida-especially-miami-boring.html
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090427185404AALqHFs Why is Miami such a boring place
    http://forum.lookbook.nu/topic/1078-I-m-I-the-only-Person-who-thinks-Miami-is-boring
    http://www.topix.com/forum/city/miami-fl/TTPGQF40D5IDANT6A Miami Sucks

Always a first time for everything.

12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,090
    Most people would say Miami is a better destination. If Miami had put together a better roster and let James's mother run the show like she did in Cleveland, then this might be a different story. Plus, "Lebron James and a bunch of his friends and family" disagree because they are all from there. Props to James for swallowing his pride and taking the high road throughout the process (including when Cleveland's loan shark, sophomoric owner made an ass of himself despite repeatedly failing to get good management, roster, coaches, etc., in place), yet it still doesn't negate the quality of life in Cleveland. Or as a Noah liked to say...

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,141
    Cleveland actually has a pretty nice revitalized downtown area now. Personally, I wouldn't want to live there but I think Noah is probably missing out if he's just there for short periods.

There are actually a couple pretty funny Cleveland videos saying "at least we're not Detroit."
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,090
    It is undoubtedly a joke by Noah, but it is funny. And, yes, anything is better than Detroit. At least Cleveland's streets aren't lined with abandoned corpses. Nor must they lay claim to Eminem.
  15. mac4lyfe

Ratings Received:
    +844
    I would say most people have never been to either city and would base any opinion on what they read and hear on TV. Cleveland has been the brunt of many jokes but many are unfounded. I have a lot of experience living in both cities. For as much as I hate the snow, I also dislike the transient, like you're not in the USA feel of Miami. If I had to choose, I'd choose Cleveland when it wasn't bitterly cold and Miami the rest of the time. If I was raising a family, I'd choose Cleveland 100% of the time. The quality of life in Cleveland, FOR ME, is much better than Miami. As a sports city, Cleveland fans are much more die hard. Cleveland people are much more interesting to talk/dialog with. I could write a long list but I'm not trying to convince anyone. Just throwing out the possibility that some people may like Cleveland more than Miami.

• Like Like x 1
  16. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    What's there to do besides go to the beach or going clubbing in Miami? Barely any museums. Very little historical to visit. Oh, yeah, you can go shopping for really overpriced stuff, wooo great times.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  17. mac4lyfe

Ratings Received:
    +844
    http://www.thisiscleveland.com/

Much more things to do outside of downtown. Plus if you are bored with the city, Cleveland is within 500 miles of 1/2 the USA population. From Ohio you can drive to many, many cities in a few hours. You are pretty much isolated in Miami. It is very difficult driving to other major cities and Miami is a little more expensive to live.

18. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Miami is a great hub for flying places, though. Cheapest for reaching Latin America. Very cheap flights to NYC or even coast to coast.

Cleveland is very close to Cedar Point, though.
  19. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Miami is one of the premier places to live not just in the U.S., but in all of the world, especially if one is into the subtropical paradise environment (Please spare me the xenophobic comments about the Spanish language and Latino culture...I know someone wants to say it). There's a reason why some of the most valuable real estate in the country is nestled in and around South Beach and downtown Miami (Brickell, the mansions near the port, etc). Boring? Yeah it's real boring if you take away the beach, the intracoastal, stunning Latina women, nightlife (go hang out on the Terrace at Club Space on a Sunday morning around 8 am and tell me how "boring" it is...lol), sportscar culture, diverse selection of restaurants (especially if you're into Cuban and South American food...some really nice Argentine steakhouses in Brickell -- mmmmm), and international flair. Oh and the balmy Miami falls and winters are horrible compared to the overcast snowy Cleveland winters which last half the year :D.

With that said, glad LeBron went back home. Great story for the NBA and basketball fans in general. I have a strange feeling that Riley will somehow construct a competitive roster and still make the playoffs at no worse a 6 seed. Wade and Bosh are winners, and if they can snatch Deng, they'll have a nice core. They aren't contending for the Finals, but not much is worse for a basketball fan than to be stuck in "tank mode" which is what they would've been doing if Bosh bolted for Houston. Riley will be able to manipulate the roster to his liking with the capspace and flixibility they will have going forward. The key in all of this is making Wade happy with a deal without giving him too many years/money. That's the tricky part.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Miami is more expensive to live, but there's a reason for that. But having no state income tax is a bonus -- so is the beach. And electricity/heating bills during the winter in a place like Cleveland has got to be insane. As stated above, Miami is an aeronautical hub. For a young guy with money, access to an airport like MIA with cheap flights to places like Medellin in Colombia, NYC, Chicago, Toronto, etc is much more preferable. It just really depends on your life situation. Married with kids -- fine Cleveland might be a good place. If you're a single guy looking to have a blast and you have some money: Miami, without the slightest bit of doubt. The only cities that could rival Miami would be NYC, Chicago, L.A., and Toronto.