1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Lebron To Become a Free Agent...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by UFG8rGuy3283, Jun 24, 2014.

1. UFG8rGuy3283

UFG8rGuy3283 Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    Per multiple sources

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...t-lebron-james-will-opt-out-become-free-agent

Interesting, just from the perspective of, what does it say about James if he is going somewhere else? There is still an option to return to the Heat, but apparently this is Lebron trying to impose pressure on the Heat to improve his supporting cast.

I don't get this guy....has there ever been a consensus "best player in the game" who would have been with 3 different teams potentially, especially while in his prime?

Not sure what it is about the guy....I'm just not a fan....
  2. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +446
    I'm not a fan either but maybe there is another scenario here. I'll believe this when I see it, but could he be choosing to become a free agent so the Heat can follow the Spurs example and have their stars take less money and thus be able to build a better team? I realize that they were supposedly doing that already but when we see a guy like Tim Duncan opting in for $10.3 million for next season while Lebron was due to make $20.59 million...
  3. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,475
    He is not leaving the heat, the heat need to put something around the guy, he has nothing it's Cleveland all over again without wade. The heat are the issue here, Riley is the most overrated gm/coach in history.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    Exactly. James, Wade, and Bosh will all opt out, give Riley a month to get competitive on the trade/free agent market, then re-sign for less money on longer deals. Opting out for players at that stage in their careers is always a smart play because it locks in a longer contract; all the more so when it gives your organization the flexibility to improve its roster.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    I think Wade is going to throw a wrench into. I don't see him giving up money he won't sniff elsewhere.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    I don't see it. Wade has made his money and wants to win. There is no way he can expect James and Bosh to shoulder the load while he sits out a third of the games unless he is willing to sacrifice some to improve the roster. That's what they did in 2010 with the Miller and Haslem deals. No reason they can't do it again.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +156
    Yeah, I think Lebron is trying to force Wade to renegotiate. If he refuses, then Lebron leaves.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,339
    That's what's going to be interesting. He's due $40+ million the next 2 years, which with his body I'd be reluctant to give to him that total for 3-4 years, so he'd basically be asked to play a year for free. Now he'll sit out that many games so it'd be fair.

This off court stuff is what I find so interesting about the nba
  9. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +992
    BS. The Heat have put plenty around him. They've made 4 straight finals with no supporting cast? They've got 3 All Stars, would you like them to just bring in the dream team?

This is another reason I can only be a casual fan of the NBA. These players are so soft. Jumping teams at the first sign of animosity. Chasing titles thru whatever team they cab jump to. It's like the UK version of the NBA.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    First of all, opting out is what any NBA player would do in this situation for strictly economic reasons. Second, Miami emaciated its roster last year with terrible reaches (Beasley, Oden), selling off its draft picks, trading away its backup center for nothing (Anthony), and amnestying a popular contributor to each of its three previous Finals runs (Miller), while relying upon declining retreads to match their previous success (Battier, Anderson, Allen, Lewis). I mean, Rashard Lewis was their starting four. Rashard Lewis.

Granted, it was all financially related, but I don't see why management should get off the hook for that if the players aren't going to get killed for doing what is in their best financial interest. I would add, also, that baseball is infinitely worse when it comes to players having no loyalty to teams, but chasing contracts and/or titles. Just ask the Rays.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Not BS. Players got old and managememt went cheap even though they had just won 2 titles. If they were in West this year, they don,t even male the conference finals.
  12. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +864
    Rashard Lewis was not the problem in the playoffs but I agree with the rest.
  13. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +992
    Without Lebron, Miami still has a top 7-10 roster.
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  14. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,339
    in the east, sure
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,184
    Not one, not two, not . . . . . . . . well, okay. Maybe two. ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Without Lebron, they wouldn't have made it past either the Hawks (even without Horford) or the Bobcats in the first round this year. There are maybe 3 or 4 teams in the whole NBA that would trade thier roster straight up sans Lebron.

Milwaukee, the Knicks, and ok so maybe only 2.
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    He shot okay, which they needed, but he was terrible defensively. He wasn't quick collapsing the paint, got lost in rotations, and did not close out on threes the way they needed. They really struggled with him in the game on that end. I suspect Riley and Spoelstra envisioned him taking the Miller role, but Lewis doesn't rebound as well as Miller does on either end, he doesn't pass as well as Miller, and he is no upgrade defensively.
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    Precisely! Some think of Miami's roster as it would have been five years ago. Wade hardly played this year and was terribly defensively. Bosh has (by design, mind you) become a jump shooter woefully ill equipped to defend the five. Haslem, Allen, Battier, and Lewis were shells of their former selves, Anderson was their only legitimate post defender, and Chalmers and Cole were inconsistent at best--and just plain bad, at worst.

Off the top of my head, I would take the rosters of OKC, San Antonio, Indiana, the Clips, Portland, Houston, Golden State, Brooklyn, Chicago, Atlanta, Memphis, and the Wiz all above them without James. Heck, I might even take the Knicks with a healthy Chandler. About the only credible teams with worse rosters would be Toronto and Phoenix, which were probably only second and third behind San Antonio in terms of their phenomenal offensive execution and productivity a year ago.
  19. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +992
    The Heat beat both the Blazers and Bulls this season with Lebron out. Even still, top 12 roster, add the best player in the world, no excuses. They're a fine team, they just ran into an amazing one this season.
  20. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    I don't understand this attitude...you don't like him because he switches teams at the end of his contracts? Why does that make him unlikable? Because he isn't "loyal" to a franchise? It's a two-way street...franchises aren't really all that loyal to people not named Kobe Bryant, so why should a player be expected to be loyal to a franchise when the notion of a franchise being loyal to a player is a pipe dream? People are criticizing him for leaving one job when his contract is up to find a job at a different "company". What the hell is wrong with that exactly? Isn't that, like, pure America?
    • Agree Agree x 4