Lady Gaga Last Night At MTV's Video Music Awards

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by Jaggator, Aug 26, 2013.

1. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    I agree with you for the most part but both Justin Timberlake and Lady Gaga are extremely talented, Gaga is also a great musician
  2. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +855
    May not like her music but she is as you say. Writes, produces and performs. Saw her at a music festival and I lasted about 4 songs but the production was pretty over the top. Plus, she has a great azz.
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,389
    No doubt, less trashy too.
  4. jwalkergator

jwalkergator Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    I believe that technology has ripped the soul out of good music.

I also think Dave Grohl was correct when he said:

“When I think about kids watching a TV show like American Idol or The Voice , then they think, ‘Oh, okay, that’s how you become a musician, you stand in line for eight f****** hours with 800 people at a convention centre and then you sing your heart out for someone and then they tell you it’s not f****** good enough.’ Can you imagine?"

“It’s destroying the next generation of musicians! Musicians should go to a yard sale and buy an old f****** drum set and get in their garage and just suck. And get their friends to come in and they’ll suck, too. And then they’ll f******* start playing and they’ll have the best time they’ve ever had in their lives and then all of a sudden they’ll become Nirvana. Because that’s exactly what happened with Nirvana. Just a bunch of guys that had some s***** old instruments and they got together and started playing some noisy-a** s***, and they became the biggest band in the world. That can happen again! You don’t need a f****** computer or the Internet or The Voice or American Idol .”
    • Like Like x 1
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,389
    IQ - you got on a hilarious roll here. Not enough rep for ya. :laugh:

6. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,031
    I didn't mean to imply there are NONE without talent--there are. I just am looking back at the older acts and it sure seems to me the actual 'musical' ability--instrument playing for lack of a better word---was much better back then, and was more abundant. There are some great musicians today, but also as I said--what they actually do and can display on their instruments is not appreciated the same way it was back then. Now, it seems more of a 'show'--gyrations, jumping around, twerking(real talent there huh) is what seems to define how 'talented' an act is. And sadly, the audiences of today thrives on that, with many of the younger ones having no clue what a true musician is.

Perhaps it is my age showing, but I much prefer to hear someone with a truly gifted voice and the ability to mesmerize an audience with their guitar, keyboards, drums, etc as compared to what some big names show today. As far as voice--there is no way in hell anyone can convince me a...rapper...has a gifted voice. No way on this planet. All the do is talk and make hand gestures. While I do give credit for them having a great memory to be able to remember the...lyrics(?)....rapping is NOT exhibiting a gifted or talented voice.

To each their own---I'll stick with the legends who CAN play and CAN sing. And use words I can understand. :)
  7. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +903
    Off topic now, but in reference to Jwalkers post, my second cousin is a senior at LSU. In a fraternity, good looking gf, lots of freinds, petroleum eng major, all that jazz.

He said the other day when we were fishing that Facebook is horrible and he won't be on it. Also, showed me his flip phone and said he won't own an I phone.. I think I started to tear up. There's hope out there still!
  8. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +855
    Agreed. If you haven't already, rent Dave Grohl's documentary called Sound City. It is fantastic and exposes everything wrong with pop music today.