L.A. Times will no longer print letters that deny climate change

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Oct 21, 2013.

1. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,919
    Maybe not, but I don't think newspapers are obligated in any journalistically ethical way to publish things known to not be factual just to hold up a non-existent standard.
  2. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +5,919
    And if an expert who actually does research writes a letter to LA that might go against the more abundant findings of some phenomenon and it is based upon empirical fact, I don't think he's saying he'd deny such a letter. It seems he's speaking to those letters he receives that are simple denials from folks that don't actually engage in the research.

Defining who is and isn't an expert is certainly up for debate, but I think a fair starting point can be scientists who actually do the research on the issue they are writing about and are considered experts by other scientists in their field.
  3. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    Honest here. I never really knew letters to the editor had standards. Honestly always felt it was basically a message board of sorts. Am I ignorant on this?
  4. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +5,919
    In many, there are no standards besides things like they no curse words etc...but in others, there are editorial reviews, especially if they are longer letters. Then again, one can come up with all sorts of standards but they'll all have drawbacks.