KY radio personality says...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GboroGator, Mar 31, 2014.

1. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +407
    • Boring Boring x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +528
    I don't GAD about what a KY sports radio personality has to say regarding us.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Hillbillies care more about basketball. Edumacation, not so much.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. pnpgator

pnpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    How sad, we have beaten them 3 times already, won the SEC (season and tournament) and are the number 1 ranked team in the country and his response is "they don't care". LOL.

Every Gator I know is following and supporting the Bball team. Gators care about winning Championships.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  5. G8trJasonB

G8trJasonB Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +933
    UK fans say this all the time. Based on what? Just because we have a smaller arena? If so, then they don't care about football. Who gives a s---!
  6. G8trJasonB

G8trJasonB Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +933
    Just want to add to my rant....Florida fans spend a hell of a lot more money on Gator Athletics than UK fans spend on their teams. Go compare athletic budgets. Gator season tickets for football are a hell of a lot more expensive than Kentucky's. We also pack in 25 thousand more people. We also have other sports that are very high achieving and supported by our fans: baseball, women's softball, lacrosse, tennis, indoor and outdoor track, etc.. At UK, basketball is EVERYTHING because they have NOTHING else. Plus, they live in Kentucky. What the hell else are you going to do in Kentucky besides watch basketball? Exactly. End of rant.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
  7. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +366
    In Kentucky? Hunt, fish, make babies. I would not hate living in Kentucky.

But you are dead right about the sports program. He should have said UK ONLY cares about basketball. That would have been accurate.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,997
    Which "Gator fans"? Our student body is every bit as enthusiastic about Gator hoops when it is good as the UK student body is. I would say the same for more recent Donovan-era alums. What we lack is a high volume of pre-90s alumni who are invested in the program, pass down season tickets, make road trips, etc.

But such a statement mistakenly compares shared support for one of the best athletic programs in the country with Kentucky's single sport obsession.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +507
    They say it all the time. Have no idea where it comes from, but I've seen time and time again them telling anyone that will listen we don't care about Billy or the program.
  10. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +646
    I see some hurt feelings in here. He also said that what Donovan is doing is unprecedented and that he's appalled if he ever hears Donovan's name not listed as one of the best coaches in the country.

From an outsider's perspective, Florida fans don't support their basketball team in the way most people measure support like they "should" compared to the quality of coach and the product on the floor - not to mention past success. Florida is a highly populated state and is a huge school that has a tremendous national following and a fan base that seems fairly spread out. So why the underwhelming numbers of UF fans in the stands for things like the SEC tournament? Why not more in Memphis last weekend? I kinda thought the turnout in Orlando seemed less than I expected - think I saw some comments on here about that too. Why not more in the final four next week?

You can suggest its because of a lack of past success (prior to Billy), but then why criticize UK fans for not caring about football? You're contradicting yourself.

Some of you may have decent answers to the questions I posed. I'm not trying to prove anything other than why outsiders might be miffed about Florida's apparent lack of basketball support. The fact is, football gets A LOT more support. I don't just mean bigger numbers - I mean disproportionately bigger numbers and fan interest from how it appears.

Maybe rserina's comment about what UF lacks (people passing down season tickets, making road trips, etc) is exactly what people are talking about when they wonder where the support is. I'm not sure I've ever heard someone equate student support with overall fan following or support. The college sports programs that have the best reps for passionate fan bases don't get this because of whatever students happen to attend the school at the time.
    • Dislike Dislike x 8
  11. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,979

You left out having to fiddle with kerosene heater and make a cover for the hole in the floor where the dog gets in.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 352Fella

352Fella Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +83
    This is hilarious. What more do Gator fans have to do to "support" their team? The ONLY fans I EVER hear about basketball support are UK fans. I've NEVER heard of any other fan base ripping UF for not sending more fans to tournaments or selling out every game at the O'Dome.

This subject only comes up with UK fans. Gator fans don't have this conversation/discussion with any other fan base.
    • Agree Agree x 8
  13. TheRealTejasGatorII

TheRealTejasGatorII Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +69
    mine coal?
  14. West_End_Gator

West_End_Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    I don't think we Gator fans support our basketball program the way we should. It's always bothered me. When I was in school in the 1980s, I could walk into the O'Dome a half hour before tipoff and have no problem getting a seat in the bottom student general admission section. The alumni section across the court was never full. And we were really starting to turn the corner then with some competitive teams under Norm Sloan, including our first-ever NCAA tournament appearances. Donovan has done amazing things with the program but the fans are still lagging a bit.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    And I don't care what Matt Jones says!

Go Gators!
    Just 2 games to go!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +178
    What we don't care about is KY fans, when are they going to understand that.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    I grew up in New York, and one of the first things I had to be accusomted to after moving to Florida was the difference popular sports. The reality is, basketball was/is not among the state's passions.
    This is true across Florida, and not isolated to any school or institution. As a result, we do not compare well to Kentucky when looking at overall fan support for hoops.
    It is not an indictment on our fans. It is simply a regoinal reality.
    That said . . . I have watched, followed and to some degree covered Gator basketball for 20+ years. And i can say with certainty that it is a reality being changed by coach Donovan and our program. Our home venue has become one of the country's most difficult. In 2006, I saw Florida's Final Four attenance outnumber that of UCLA. A few weeks ago I witnessed the largest Gator crowd to attend the SECT in the last 13 years of my attendance.
    So, do Florida fans care about basketball?
    An ever gorwing number indeed do.
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
  18. 4UFIM

4UFIM Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Not saying our fans will dominate Arlington because we all know Kentucky fans will... But... In Indy in 2006 we had the most fans and Atlanta the following year ... At least. 20 k gator fans ...it was a home game for us!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ufgator865

ufgator865 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
    Flordia fans certainly support their team but the problem is most of them do it by watching them on TV. we don't travel well even when we are the clear favorite. It frustrates me that we don't have the most fans when we clearly have the largest school and the largest fan base. We can make fun of Kentuckians for where they live, that they have nothing else besides UK basketball etc. However they travel in droves to support their team. I wish we had that level of passion toward our basketball program. Every gator fan that makes the effort to attend the final four gets my utmost respect. I know it's expensive and I admire the sacrifice.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    They ran Bear Bryant off. We've managed to keep Billy Donovan. So, which school has fan support problems?
    • Winner Winner x 3