Kurt Roper spoke at the Angelo Football Clinic on the 19th

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Jun 20, 2014.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    http://www.footballscoop.com/news/13888-kurt-roper-notes

A few notes from Roper's 80 minutes on the podium.

- Everything Roper does on the practice field is at game speed. Warm up drills are done at game speed. Once practice moves into a team setting, Roper drops fundamental work and focuses solely on the situation at hand. At that point, he says, it's about helping his quarterbacks make the right read and not correcting their footwork.

- Two key Roper catchphrases: "Train your eyes to see" - to see through the traffic and clutter around the pocket - and "train your hands to see" - to grip the ball without taking your eyes off the defense.

- In keeping with the theme of coaches who are not sticklers for technique, Roper is agnostic on whether or not a quarterback should grip the laces to throw the ball. He said that a quarterback's middle finger and thumb should rest on opposite points of the ball.

- To train a quarterback's eyes to see, Roper does drills to create havoc in the pocket. "The more you strain their feet, the better they'll get."

- Two points on throwing the football. First, Roper believes throwing a ball is an upper-body movement. "I don't want them using the lower body in their throwing motion," he said. Second, he believes we're either born with the ability to throw a football or we're not. Roper said he'll know in two years if his son Luke, age three, has that ability.

Here are some of the quotes that were found on @zach_barnett twitter account

Roper, on not enforcing a uniform throwing motion: "I tell people I don't care if they punt it left-footed as long as it beats the defense."

Roper works almost exclusively in gun but trains QBs as if under center because "the more you make their feet work, the better they'll get.

Roper going over talented QBs he's coached. Joked "coaching is overrated. It's about recruiting."

First two things Roper looks at in game planning: "Is there a DL we can't block? And how do they defend the flats?"

Roper: "Air is your friend on deep balls. There's a reason those guys are playing defense. They can't judge the ball like we can."

Roper is an offensive guy through and through. "Can you imagine going to practice every day and never having the ball? How awful."

Roper: "I only bring four bags and cones to the practice field. Other than that, I want it to be what we do in a game."

Hearing Roper speak reminds me how unbelievably foolish Ole Miss was to fire David Cutcliffe and staff after one down year.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,678
    I really like the guy, as I said in another thread, we will be mid pack sec in total o. If our d is top 4 we should be happy for a basecamp type year..
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +531
  4. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,052
    It will be nice to see - or at least have the threat of seeing something other than a dive play between the tackles on third and short. Spreading the ball around will do more for our O than anything short of several 4 & 5-star OL.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,314
    Like a breath of fresh air. When was the last time we had an O.C. who was actually passionate about the offense? Coach Mullen would be the answer.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +343
    I like this guy a lot! I hope the Gators do well enough to a) keep Will Muschamp employed so we can b) keep Kurt Roper and c) maintain some semblance of stability. I say this, because many posts I read focus on Muschamp and whether he should be fired if the Gators go 7-5 or 8-4. I look at the long term problem. We do not need another Mark Richt, but we really do not need another major turnover in coaching when the program could be on the cusp of turning things around.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,314

Well said, AF. I'm not even focusing on Coach Boom but rather our offense and the direction is will be taking. Our defense has always been stout and I don't expect that to change. It's our offense that needs a boost and with Coach Roper and Coach Summers on board, along with our returning players, and our new ones - if we stay healthy - we could be very formidable. We need to maintain our current staff and build on some consistency.

Go Gators!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +172
    Agreed. What people don't seem to realize is when you fire a coach, you're almost guaranteed to have couple of transition years. Recruiting suffers, usually there are a lot of transfers, it takes a while for players to buy in and to implement a new system, etc. We got very lucky in Meyer's 2nd year and I think it's warped expectations of how fast a program can be turned around. In reality, the 2005 & 2006 teams really struggled especially on offense and the 06 team didn't put it together until the bowl game and all those extra practices.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +237
    Kind of funny seeing how one of the two things he looks at is if there is a DL we can't block and then remembering Moore getting no help against Sam.
  10. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,979
    I will just he happy to see passes thrown in front of the line of scrimmage.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    Seriously, I don't think I can like this enough.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  12. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,979
    Welcome.
  13. gators04

gators04 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    I guess I'm the glass "half full" guy. Looking forward to a new look on offense and expectation is high for this team. Can't wait for the season to start.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +343
    I try to be optimistic without being labeled a sunshine pumper. I think this season will be a pleasant surprise.
  15. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
  16. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,012
    It'll be better than basecamp:

Team---------Total Offense--------Total Defense------W/L Record

Louisville................28th....................................1st.........................12-1
    Michigan State.......80th....................................2d.........................13-1
    Alabama.................33d......................................5th.......................11-2
    Wisconsin...............18th.....................................7th.........................9-4 (underachiever)
    Southern Cal..........72d.....................................13th.......................10-4
    LSU........................35th....................................15th.......................10-3
    Stanford.................69th....................................16th.......................11-3
    USCe......................36th....................................19th.......................11-2
    Oklahoma..............52d.....................................20th.......................11-2
    Vandy.....................93d.....................................23d...........................9-4

If we have good health, a legitimate top 10 defense and a 50th ranked offense, we will win in double digits.
  17. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,678
    I agree, but unfortunately I do not see a top ten d.....I will jump for joy with 9 wins..
  18. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +807
    I tell you, after the Vandy and then GSU games last year I was ready for a new HC. Letting the season get in the rear view mirror a little bit and with the coaching changes made, I'm really looking forward to the start of the season. I may be just setting myself up for a fall but I like this staff and I like our team. Of course I felt the same at the start of last year too.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +488
    This season is so important to our long term success. If we have a coaching change-I don't care who is hired, we could go through several more down years. Those yelling for change-well be careful what you wish for.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  20. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    The people saying they wanted change following last season believe that UF will be a perpetually mediocre team (8-4 average) in the SEC with one or two break through years, such as 2012, sprinkled in under this staff. If they are right in their predictions I would much rather take a regime change and everything that comes with it because I believe we will better off in the end (regardless of any short term consequences we may suffer).

But this thread isn't even about him and so I'll leave it at that.