Kudos to PY

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Dec 18, 2013.

1. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +317
    As I mentioned in another thread, Patric is viewed to me somewhat like an offensive lineman in football, doing a lot of positive things that is not appreciated by the fans or appears in the boxscore. Unfortunately, when on a rare occasion he commits a bad play or misses foul shots, those things are often magnified., like an offensive linemen committing a holding penalty or missing a block
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    I am sure part of it is fatigue, but in past seasons Billy has not been shy about sometimes questioning Pat's energy and effort. I am not saying this to be insulting, but I do think Pat sometimes struggles with focus and intensity, especially if he is being closed off on the offensive end.
    He did a wonderful job overcoming this last night.
    Kudos to him.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,997
    Don't recall those comments from Donovan. What I recall Donovan criticizing was A) his ability to fight through fatigue; B) his awareness on the court when he does get tired, such as staying connected to his defender in transition or getting to the blocks immediately in the half court; C) his work ethic in practice; D) his rebounding productivity, and E) playing with a more consistent motor, which he at the same time has attributed to him playing too many minutes for extended stretches, and is also the reason Young lost the weight this past off-season.
  4. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    Here is one from last season....

"Two days later, Donovan singled out junior center Patric Young, who had just two rebounds in Rupp Arena. It was Young's sixth game in seven with five rebounds or fewer.

"When you see our starting center with two rebounds in 24 minutes of play, that clearly to me is an effort issue," Donovan said.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,997
    Okay, keep 'em coming.
  6. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,129
    word
  7. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361

rserina, I agree with you. Headcase is an inappropriate label for PY. If a TV commentator said something like that they'd be run out of town. If someone wants to label a Gator in disparaging way on a pro-Gator board they ought to come up with something better than "he struggles with his focus and some mental components of staying in a game when things are going poorly"...therefore he's a "head case." It's quite natural for a player to get distracted from his focus with the flow of the game when things aren't going their way. That doesn't make that player player a head case. I'm glad BD and people like you have his back.

I just wish that he was a better FT shooter.
  8. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    I didn't know I had a quota! LOL!

Donovan references focus and the mental component:
    “The biggest thing for Patric in all this stuff is mentally being in the right place to be able to deal with the confrontation every day of pushing himself to go to the next step physically. … I think from a maturity standpoint, that’s an area where Patric has got to get better.”

On what Patric needs to improve moving into his senior season, citing intensity lapses that have caused problems:
    “I think he realizes the importance of playing with a sustained level of intensity. I think he realizes that when he doesn’t do those things, he puts himself in a position where he picks up fouls and he could be on the bench early in the game.”

Following win over UNF this year. I don't think you need to read between the lines here. . .
    "The expectations that I have is for Patric Young to get more than two rebounds," Donovan said.

Donovan on Young, following a great performance. . . the "want to" is a telling comment:

“He can do that every time on the court, if he wants to."

Donovan, seemingly undermining any "injury excuse":

“It’s that up and down-ness of, ‘I’m tired. I’m sore. My knee hurts. My foot hurts.’ You can’t one minute say that and the next minute jump up and tomahawk dunk," Donovan said. "That doesn’t make any sense.”

On a side note. . . Is Beal calling Pat, dare I say, a head case? ;)

When his head is right, he can do those things,” freshman guard Bradley Beal said. “Pat just has to be focused and mentally prepared and not worried about other things, like his injuries, and just keep playing ball.”

Anyway. . . I really did NOT want this to be a PY bashing thread. Quite the opposite.
    But I think you are kidding yourself if you feel Donovan has been consistently satisfied with Young's effort, intensity, focus or energy.

Again... the point of the thread was to praise him for overcoming some tendencies and having a great game last night.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Did you ever under perform in a stretch of games? If so, I don't think that would justify someone calling you a "head case." Using your criteria you could call just about every player a head case.
  10. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    Yeah. . . I think you are really over-thinking this one and making it something much more than it is.
    I explained my connotation of "head case" earlier in the thread. I am sorry if you find it offensive.

Fwiw, I was a ranked junior tennis player. I was an admitted head case, and was often called such by my coach. I let a single point or error unravel my entire game at times. I was a head case.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    There are comments in which Young seems to acknowledge his own struggles with focus and sustaining his mental edge.
    This blurb followed our game versus Middle Tenn. a few weeks ago. . . .

“I thought Patric did a great job tonight,” Donovan said. “He set the tone. He was really engaged.”

Young said he made sure he “had his mind in the right place” entering Thursday night’s game after averaging just eight points and five rebounds in Florida’s first four games.
  12. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    One more Rserina . . .

“For me, it’s never been about living up to expectations. It’s been more of him playing at a consistent energy level throughout.”
  13. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +661
    Glad to see that I'm not the target :)

I agree with the sentiments on both sides. While you can justifiably say that consistent effort and focus is a mental aspect of the game and any short coming in that regard can be broadly defined as a "head case." The term is typically used to describe a higher degree of mental shortcomings or deficiencies. That is where people are having an issue with the term being applied to PYoung.

And while I understand that, unfortunately around here we have a more sensitive, defensive crowd who allow very little latitude for context and varying degrees of interpretation. Let alone difference of opinion.....
  14. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    ^^ Agreed. Though I think much of the debate has moved past my usage of the term and now centers on whether or not PY has had issues realting to sustained focus, energy and effort. . . and if Donovan ever acknowleged those.
  15. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    Not that it matters, but I guess I feel compelled to note that I prefaced my comment with the phrase "a bit of", and then follwed the term by explaining the ways/reasons I feel as such.
    I hardly think it was an inflammatory or insulting post. I think most agree, including Rserina. . . who acknowledged just a difference of connotations in our personal usage of the phrase.
  16. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +824
    I've always felt PY was a very cerebral basketball player, sometimes to his detriment. He went to an academic magnet high school before transferring to a basketball school. He's a two time SEC Academic Player of the year. Obviously he has more brains than most basketball players. I think once he realized he was a poor FT shooter, he went out of his way to avoid getting to the line. It got in his head. He seems to have shaken that a little lately. I understand what AKA meant when he said "head case" but not the greatest choice of words. He's a very analytical player, and it sometimes affects him. He'll probably make a great coach one day though.
  17. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +145
    Yeah! It's good to see Aka & his Fish get a good 'grilling' by some of the posters here. :)
    It should be well done by now!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +661

He's a great poster......that's all I have to say about that. :)
  19. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +865
    Also a great show of sportsmanship when he fouled the one little guy and insisted on helping him up...just the kind of person PY is. A GREAT Gator.
  20. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    Say what u will about me but I'll be damned if I gonna sit by and let you criticize my tuna!
    • Funny Funny x 1