Kudos to PY

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Dec 18, 2013.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    I loved Pat's game last night.
    He missed a few chip shots around the hoop, and his teammates missed a couple times on the block. . . but he stuck with it and impacted the game in a huge way on the glass and with his hustle.
    He can be a bit of a head case, and disappear when not getting the ball. And that is understandable. But last night he stuck with it and was a major component of the win.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,039
    Agreed. He has played very well his last three games. It is sad that he is having such issues with his knees (or something). He's actually not atheltic any more because of it. He used to play above the rim. But I think he may be a better player now.
    Will Yeguete is also much less athletic than he used to be because of injury. His game is suffering from it a bit more. He was a huge hustle energy guy. He simply doesn't have the explosion any more. Still a huge and valuable member of this team. I worry about them down the stretch of the season. Will they be able to hold up.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    Why the shot at him as a "head case," AKA? I don't get it.

At any rate, I agree he was very good last night before the fouls. He matched up very well with Memphis and, were it not for our terrible ballhandling and passing in that second ten minute stretch, he could have easily reached a double-double. We need him on the court for 25 minutes a game. Our defense suffers without him and he also forces some doubles in the post that Yeguete doesn't get. I thought his passing was superb, too. The skip pass to Frazier for three and the duck in to DFS for the reverse were both great examples of him recognizing the help and rotations and getting it to the right guy.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    This is where C. Walker could pay huge dividends. If he can progressively get more minutes, to the point that he can suck up 15-20 that are out there, he will allow Young and Yeguete to cut down their minutes by a few per game, but more importantly give them more frequent rests. That will give them a much higher energy level and keep their legs stronger.
  5. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +844
    What don't you get? This is a message board. . .meant for discussion and analysis. Part of my analysis of PY is that he struggles with his focus and some mental components of staying in a game when things are going poorly.
    He did a great job avoiding this last night.

I am not sure why you find that offensive.
  6. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    yup, good post AKA - I think for his senior season Pat has become a lot more of a leader than in years past. I definitely feel like there was a bit too much passivity from him in the past where he would disappear for long stretches and even seem a bit disinterested at times, but so far this year he's eliminated that completely.
  7. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    There was one really impressive play where Pat managed to rip down an offensive rebound over and through three different Memphis players. Unfortunately, all of our guys had moved back on defense (I suspect that was emphasized in an effort to neutralize their transition game), Pat didn't have anything to do with the ball and lost it shortly thereafter. But it was a remarkable play.
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    Uh, "head case" is pretty derogatory. If a poster called another poster a head case, he would probably get banned. Maybe you didn't mean it in a deprecatory way, but there are a thousand ways to describe a player more euphemistically (has mental lapses, mental fatigue, consistency, loses focus, etc.).
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    And, again, as Donovan has said for two years now, it is fatigue. We have asked Young to play for longer stretches than he should because we haven't really had a capable backup to him that gives us any kind of a post presence the last two seasons. He has also been largely responsible (along with Wilbekin out front) with our dramatic defensive turnaround since last season, in part because we ask him to be so active anchoring our help defense and getting out on pick and roll coverages. He can do that for 3-5 minute stretches, but when it gets upward of 6-8, a guy his size gets terribly fatigued. Unfortunately, Harris's issues have kept him from giving us the spots Young needs. I am hopeful Walker will help in that regard, at least by the second half of the league slate.
  10. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +844
    We have a different connotation for "head case". And its very common usage in sports carries a different meaning than every day usage. In sports, "head case" does not mean the person is a nut, odd or bat-$hit crazy. It simply means the player can get bogged down, and that his mentality can negatively impact a performance.
    At least that is how I always understood it, and intended to use it here.
    The subsequent posts seem to suggest others have similar interpretation of the phrase.
    Regardless, it was not meant as an insult. But I am not one to search for euphemisms when making a point.
  11. GatorMcCluskey

Ratings Received:
    +26
    eh, I didn't see it as a shot in the first post since AKA qualified it with "he can be a bit of". I get what you're saying, too, that it has a bit of a rough connotation, but when guys have (as you said) mental lapses/consistency issues/loss of focus, I think "head case" is a fairly normal description.

edit: ha, I need to wait a bit before posting - that's twice now you've basically posted the same response as me, AKA.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    My apologies, then. Maybe I am a little sensitive given the criticism Young has received the last few years. Donovan even went out of his way to mention it.
  13. GatorMcCluskey

Ratings Received:
    +26
    not sure I totally agree on it being fatigue - he's averaging the same mpg (25-26) as the past two years, but he seems to be more mentally invested and consistently active this season. I like Patric a lot and think he's a great kid, but there are plenty of great kids for whom the light switch doesn't go on until late in their careers. For whatever reason, the switch seems to be on for him as a senior.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    I distinctly remember people criticizing him several games earlier this season for not being more consistent, but if he is playing with higher energy right now, I think you can attribute some it to him playing leaner this year--about ten pounds. He dropped a little weight (a la David Lee as a senior) to get quicker and gain some endurance.
  15. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    He was a beast last night and those tip ins looked above the rim to me and athletic! Heck I know I couldn't do that and I have serious hops for my height ( 6'1" )
  16. FranceGator

FranceGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +93
    In the first half there was the time he was screaming for SW to pass him the ball and didn't get a pass. Instead, five seconds later, he punches a rebound out to DFS who drained a shot.

The announcers noted about him screaming for it. I went back and re-listened. You could hear him scream "F*** !" when Scotty didn't try to get it to him.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +465
    PY is definitely playing with Joakim Noah type intensity this season. He isn't having lapses of focus, isn't pouting for extended periods. He is playing like a man hoping to be drafted next year.

Great to see!
  18. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,933
    IMO, Patric played within himself and that is all we can ask from him. And I can see where fatigue will be a factor up until C Walker can get some meaningful minutes. As I posted before, just tell him "see ball, rebound or block it" and he can do a LOT for this team in early January.

Now my problem that I saw, and I think it will be that way for the remainder of the season, is that Patric's style of play is somehow disconnected with the ref's view of what constitutes playing hard and powerful and what is a foul. I thought there were too many times that Patric got the ball on the blocks and he was being pushed by the defenders and no foul was called. And then when he tries to do his thing because the refs were "letting them play" and his actions were "foul worthy." I think he is getting the "Darryl Dawkins" treatment and the calls aren't very consistent on him. But that is mostly refs being human and calling what they see. JMHO
  19. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +465
    I can agree with that. Massively strong big men are tough to officiate on because contact they receive does not have the same impact as contact they dispense.

For example, there are times both in the low post and on help D where PY gets to the spot before the offensive player. The offensive player goes right (sometimes full speed) into PY who has his feet set and PY doesn't move one iota. It's like the offensive player hit a brick wall.

Not once EVER have I seen PY get a charge call in this situation. Either gets a no call (most of the time) or a call against PY. Refs fall into the trap of needing to physically see the defender fall in order to get a charge call. Which is not in the definition of the rule. But for some reason, refs won't call an offensive foul unless the defender falls or the offensive player raises and/or uses his elbows in the contact off the pivot.
  20. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +271
    Not only more rest, but less concern about playing passively to avoid foul trouble.