Kudos to Billy, his staff, and the players

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Nov 13, 2013.

1. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,046
    Hell of a job by everyone involved to go into a hostile environment against a ranked opponent and play them right down to the wire under the circumstances they found themselves in.

What a great coach and staff we have at Florida, and what a truly gutsy performance by a team that was shorthanded and no one gave much of a chance to pull off a win.

We lost but thanks to all the guys for making it a fun game to watch even when you figure in the rough spots.
  2. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat <font color=blue>Respected Rival</font>

Ratings Received:
    +600
    Great post Hallgator couldn't agree more!
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,674
    I absolutely loved Kurtz's effort. You can tell Donovan trusts him a ton to put the kid out there out of position at the three during key stretches (over scholarship kids like D. Walker and Graham). Donovan also sounded very encouraged by their effort in practice leading up to the game.
  4. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    I was very impressed with the defense tonight particularly when you consider that Wilbekin and Harris were out. Finney-Smith may too be a solid defender.
  5. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Had to work but have it on the DVR. Should I watch it or will I be mad? I expected a loss so Im not disappointed but I don't really want to watch a heart breaker or a game we gave away even when you factor in the circumstances. Thoughts?
  6. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,046
    I think it is well worth watching. Some disappointment but some nice things done too. Gutsy performance overall.
  7. CAGator93

CAGator93 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    not a heart breaker, just one of those games where it just never seemed like we were going to get over the hump -- even though we hung tough
  8. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    since nobody goes undefeated any more, not even kentucky :), this is about as good as a loss can get.

Not only were we shorthanded and nearly won against a ranked team in a very hostile arena, we played serious minutes without our only point guard, who will learn a lot from this experience.

Carter is obviously still hurting and having Graham available for even a few minutes might have made the difference.

Glad to see the both Casey and Will return after getting knocked around. Both are warriors.

Lastly, Patric's second half play was promising.
  9. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    We played with intensity. That's all you can ask. I think Wisconsin got away with a lot of mugging under the basket. When Prather went down, he was undercut. That player should have been ejected, but no he hits the big shot to put it away. Tough always on the road. I hope when all the bigs including Chris W. comes in, brings some scoring down low, because if we can get a few points and rebounds from these guys it will take pressure off Patrick and Will Y. to play so much and be more effective.

Wilbekin back would rest Hill and give us some options to change the line-up during the course of the game. Hopefully with the full compliment of players and getting better playing as a team, everyone will be rested and get better shots. Its tough knowing there are three players that are studs sitting out. Hopefully in the near future we will get to see them before the players that are playing too many minutes possible get hurt. That is a concern. Anybody know how Prather is after the game?
  10. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +379
    I agree with Hall, but I was really disappointed in the loss. I saw a lot of great things, but also saw a lot of things that have haunted us in recent past. Can't extend a big lead (i know it was very early) letting them get too many off rebs and 2nd chance points. Leaving them wide open for 3 pointers and stupid fouls.

Granted, this game means nothing.

The bottom line: This team is going to be SCARY GOOD at full strength.
  11. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    I think the team should be scary good with the full crew, but I'm reserving serious judgment until we see them. On paper though, this should be a tough team to beat come March.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,674
    On giving up offensive rebounds, this game it was a combination of our bigs playing too many minutes and Wisconsin's offense wearing you down with their half court offense. Young played 30, a still recovering Yeguete played 25, and Kurtz and Prather split the remaining 25 at the four. We were way out of whack rotation-wise and position-wise, but I don't expect that to be a problem going forward.
  13. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    I like this team's chances a lot, but I can't say yet that we'll be "scary" good. A team has to shoot better than we have to become scary.
  14. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,349
    I think scary good is a possibility.

we will need to see our defense at full strength to know.
  15. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +275
    We are very lucky to have Billy D for our coach. He seems to get the best out of the players and does it with class
  16. gogators73

gogators73 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    By far the most fun I've had watching the Gators lose.

Just to see guys step up was awesome. They knew 4 guys that will be major contributors were missing, but they took what they had and nearly stole a win. Great, great performance.

Speaks volumes about our depth.
  17. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    The Gators are still searching for a player that can break a cold snap with a basket. Hopefully that is DFS.
  18. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    Well it certainly seems that Frazier and Prather can be those players.
  19. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680
    I think one thing I saw that was really encouraging was there was a point in the second half where we were down by 11, the crowd was roaring, we had just missed and it felt like they were getting ready to drain a 3 and run us out of the building, but we got back on defense got a stop and fought til the end.

Of course by not getting blown out and ending up losing by 6 jackass brockway is continuing his can't win close games crap.
  20. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    They played tough in a very hostile arena when really short handed.

Great Game.

Man, think how dangerous this team would be if anyone but Frazier could shoot (admittedly, Yeguete was 3 for 3 from the field also), but really 8 of 15 from the foul line - I mean, only getting 15 foul shots given the way they are supposed to call it tells you something about the bias of the refs.