Krauthammer- Interrupt dinner in Damascas?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatordowneast, Aug 30, 2013.

1. dangolegators

dangolegators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +520
    The 'shock and awe' post really must have struck a nerve. Lot's of responses. I guess you guys now know how stupid it was. But that's the kind of thing we got when your guys were running things -- 'shock and awe'. All part of the Bush marketing machine that suckered you guys into rabidly supporting one of the worst foreign policy mistakes in US history.
  2. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    Because of its brazen absurdity, yes. However stupid you think "Shock and Awe" was, the comparison was moreso. You are trying to make an apples to apples comparison between --

a) an intentional attempt to kill Saddam Hussein and his top military and political leadership at the outset of a large scale invasion to topple his government, and

b) an attack that is explicitly meant to not topple their government, not incapacitate his government, not as prelude to invasion, not for any articulable strategic goal whatsoever other than to try to shore up the idea of Obama as a respected player on the international stage... complete with careful warnings that the Syrians can read in the newspaper or watch on cable news to prepare for and minimize the impact of.
  3. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    US action in Syria is not even comparable to US intervention in Iraq. One is drive by gunboat diplomacy by those playing at war, the other was a major commitment to fighting a preventative war. The jury is far, far from in on Iraq, and I still support the decision that was made based on information not available with hindsight. I don't know where so many Americans got the idea that the only wars worth fighting have no cost.
  4. dangolegators

Ratings Received:
    +520
    Shock and Awe, baby! Just watch those satellite guided missiles blow things up! It's awesome! (in my monster truck advertisement voice).
  5. dangolegators

Ratings Received:
    +520
    Oh, and you forgot the part where one was done by an 'R' president and the other will be done by a 'D' president. That's really the biggest distinction between the two situations as far as our resident conservative military experts are concerned.
  6. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    Well, as long as your happy with a purely surface level of understanding, I'm not one to deprive you of your bliss.
  7. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    This is precisely what's wrong with American foreign policy over the last 60+ years.

We get engaged where we shouldn't get engaged, we lack clear objectives, and we never ever "play to win the game". Instead of winning or achieving the objective the goal is clouded due to politics, PR, or just simply being scared. And of course we never go to Congress.

It's simple. If there is a reason for us to attack Syria and take over the nation then go to Congress, get a declaration, and kick their asses without a single regret. If you can't do that, then don't do anything.
  8. dangolegators

Ratings Received:
    +520
    Nor was the Bush admin one to deprive its conservative Iraq War supporters of their bliss when they sold the war to them like an ad for a monster truck rally.

SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SHOCK AND AWE, BABY! IT'S AWESOME!
  9. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    You shouldn't be so partisan on topics of war.
  10. Minister_of_Information

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Sorry, but you're wrong. The clearest parallel is the '98 cruise missile attacks and the '86 Gadaffi raids. American credibility is not enhanced by symbolic gestures, it really doesn't matter who is President. Saving face is not trivial diplomatically, but it isn't an adequate or productive pretext for military action, especially as gestures intended to save face automatically imply that the will for follow up action is lacking.
  11. dangolegators

Ratings Received:
    +520
    You should write posts that make sense.
  12. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Your FSU degree didn't fix your literacy problem?

But I understand that someone that is so hyper partisan like yourself would have trouble understanding a non GOP or Democrat position. You just repeat what you are told like a good soldier.
  13. coleg

coleg Member

Ratings Received:
    +164
    Would that have been the vote that had Obama's VP, and Sec. of state, and the current Senate leader along with 40 % of the Democratic House and more than 50% of the Democratic Senate passing the resolution? And to think the Dems and the press always wanted us to believe it was ol' George that wasn't so bright!
  14. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    It's just comical how shallow your comparison is -- two events involved cruise missiles? Oh, they are the same, SETTLED, period. Your logic comparing the first assault of the invasion of Iraq by 100,000+ American troops to Obama's firework show plan is the same as comparing D-Day to an staged amphibious assault during an Air and Sea show.
  15. dangolegators

Ratings Received:
    +520
    The 'saving face' thing is funny because a lot of people think a big reason for the Iraq War had to do with a personal vendetta Bush jr had for Sadaam. In any case, justifying the disaster that was Iraq with some sort of hindsight-is-20/20 rationale just doesn't cut it. You don't waste 4000 American lives and trillions of American dollars only to say, 'oops, guess we were wrong, but how were we to know?'
  16. dangolegators

Ratings Received:
    +520
    Actually, I'm not comparing an 8 year war and occupation of one country with lobbing of a few cruise missiles at another one. That would be silly, because there's no real comparison there. I'm actually contrasting the 2 events. And I'm contrasting the views of folks like you (and Krauthammer) for one (the 8 year disaster one that you supported) with your views toward the other (the one day missile strike that you are against).

Maybe if Obama announced that we were going to invade Syria with 100,000 ground troops you'd be for it? Would that do the trick for you?
  17. Minister_of_Information

Ratings Received:
    +968
    When you come up with something worth discussing, let me know. I'm not holding my breath.
  18. dangolegators

Ratings Received:
    +520
    So you posted something, decided you didn't like it, and overwrote it with this? This isn't any better than the post you deleted.
  19. Minister_of_Information

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Feel free to be offended if you like. :wave:
  20. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,273
    You're the one that didn't seem to learn anything from real live (recent) history.