Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kong and Planet of the Apes

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tampagtr, May 18, 2024.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This may not be the correct forum but will post here. Sent this to my daughter. Anyone else find interesting?

When you wake up, I just had a thought for your far superior mind to expand on. You thought about deeply and interestingly how popular movie themes often reflect some unrealized fear/wound deep in our national psyches, like Marvel after 9/11.
    Two old-time movie franchises/ character genres have gotten extensive reboots in recent years to fairly decent commercial success, existing IP that seems again relevant.
    Kong and Planet of the Apes. In both cases, seemingly lower level primates are suddenly able to exert dominance over the Apex primate. What does this say about our national psyche?

2. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I don’t think movies like this say much of anything about the “national psyche”.

Not in the way of the original Japanese Godzilla movie, for example, which had lots of fearful overtones relating to Nuclear energy (not surprising considering it was made 10 years after the bombs dropped).

In terms of these new movies, I think it speaks more towards studios liking money and doing whatever they can to keep previously lucrative franchises going. Maybe some of the scripts have unintentional overtones, like the new Planet of Apes movies had some virus/vaccine stuff that explained the fall of humanity. But that reboot happened years before COVID, so even that is more of a coincidental plot overlap IMO.

3. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with everything you say, especially about the Japanese psyche with Godzilla. I've read quite a bit about that and find that fascinating.

But as you say, they're making money. The question is, at least in my mind, is why? Why do they sell so well? That's where I wonder if there's something in the national psyche.

My daughter will go on for a long time and has a lot of scholarship to back her up, that the Marvel resurgence was largely a response to 9/11. Some have suggested a lot of the zombie variants were a response to the financial crisis. I haven't seen anyone yet posit what type of movies we make because of the way the pandemic sits in our head.

And of course, studios are horrible about wanting to stick with existing IP. So that may be all it is. But it was just something that occurred to me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    Never understood why Kong wasn't actually on the planet of the apes. Seems like an appropriate place for him....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    The type of movies that are popular indeed reflect society’s hopes and fears. The Joker and Parasite are two that come to mind.

The new Godzilla minus one was a perfect recreation of the original Godzilla anti war themes.

Superhero movies rise in eras of angst.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I’d watch.

7. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    That Trump and his minions are in ascendancy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Not trying to trivialize your thread topic, but what I think it says first and foremost is that if people are going to spend way too much money sitting in a theater, they want an incredible CGI enhanced experience.

Last edited: May 18, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No offense taken, and the most likely explanation. But I like to think about such things, and it could be something. Both could well be true.

• Like Like x 1
  10. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Why does it matter how people spend their money? I’m sure you are into some BS thing others would scoff at. I spend too much on hiking gear for instance.

If you didn’t see Dune 2 in the theater it’s not the same movie on TV.

11. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Actually, it is the exact same movie viewed on a different display device with different audio, yet it is the same movie. It is only your experience while viewing the movie that has potentially changed.

I don't care what anyone spends their own money on, but the cost of theater tickets is far too high relative to the increases that they have seen over the past decade. They, like most other industries, have elected to outsize their profits by benefitting from the pent up demand. Yet, if people choose to spend money regardless, great. That does not change the fact that movie theaters, in part due to contractual agreements in part to profiteering, are charging the public much more than they should be for everything.

As for how I spend money, I am sure someone would call anything and everything I spend money on BS from their point of view if they do not see value in it. Yet, the thread was not about my spending habits nor yours. You have to admit, most people will acknowledge that the cost of going to a movie is too high, AND, if the move that he or she is viewing does not have something spectacular in either plot, skilled of actors/directors or fantastic CGI, people will be far less likely to spend all of that money in the theater, no? I am guessing from your response, even you admit that theater trips are too expensive.

12. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Wife and I, discussing tix for Furiosa and Wildcat next weekend, said we need variety in weekend entertainment. I then reminded her historically that movie theatres got a big boost by being among the first air conditioned buildings, leading to the summer blockbuster, and that we were just about to the time of year when we cannot go outside long during the day, no more hikes.

Movies look pretty good in summer.

As far as cost AMC Stubs is a good deal if you see even 2 a month

13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It’s the same movie, but come on, it’s a totally different experience from watching on a 65” screen, or even a very high end home theater (although I guess if a person spends enough they can get there… for $10’s of thousands of dollars). How many movie tickets to cover a high end home theater projection system? The “experience” can vastly alter the perception of a film.

Are tickets really super expensive? I was out of town last week, and went to a matinee showing to kill some time. I was actually shocked by how cheap tickets were. $6 and change to see the new apes movie. Maybe it was some crazy deal that happened to coincide. Still, my usual theater I think is like $15 for prime time and $10-ish for matinee. That’s probably more typical, but is that really outlandish? Eh. I think what they always got you on was concessions. $20 for a popcorn and drink is what’s nutso. Probably like $50-ish concessions to satisfy a family. You could easily spend more at the concession stand than the tickets. But nobody has to do that.

Last edited: May 19, 2024
  14. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

All of our local theaters cut seating in half by turning every seat into a relining king sized bed that pumps popcorn butter into you via IV. * ...And then charging twice the old price.

The days of a boy sneaking his arm behind his date are long over.

All that said, it is still a pretty good sensory experience.

*This slight exaggeration isnt far from reality.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Kong movie has a somewhat bizarre plot. PotA was well done, but not one of the best in the series. It is. however, a far better movie than Kong...wait for Kong on "cable."

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I like immersive experience so it’s worth it to me. I have a subscription for unlimited movies. $19 per month/$38 for both of us. 1.4 movies a month is break even. I average 1 a month in the down months Jan-May/Sept/OCT and several movies a month in the summer and holidays. I make out on mine. I think I lose money on my wife though to be honest. She can barely tell if a show is in HD or not much less appreciate the theater experience so she skips a lot of the summer movies.

But it ain’t cheap if you go all in for 2 at an IMAX full price with popcorn and soda.

Last edited: May 19, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I honestly respect that (not even a hint of snark). I am not much of a movie guy. I have watched all Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and Avengers movies. Beyond that, I might not have watched 3-4 movies over the past few decades. Just not my thing. I would rather read books or play music. However, I do not criticize those who do if that is how others want to spend time and money. If you love it, do it. However, just like I have seen the price of books go up over the past 20 years for absolutely no reason that I can fathom, so has the price of the theater experience and I believe that most folks know it. They just choose not to let it stop them from their enjoyment.

18. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I’ve only watched a handful of movies in the theater over the last 5-10 years, including Top Gun 2 and Oppenheimer. Both were worth the big screen IMO. I also love butter lol.

Will go see Twisters in July. Already nervous it may be bad but the original is probably the best weather geek movie ever made.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    The planet of the apes is Earth, so he is on it

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    By the way the new Planet of the Apes was really good. Son and I liked it. Wife could not get dragged to it.

• Like Like x 1