Kiffin + Muschamp offensive philosophy etc.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by danky1313, Sep 8, 2013.

1. danky1313

danky1313 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    "The plan was if we were able to hold up on defense to make sure we didn't screw up on offense. As boring as it was, that was the plan." Kiffin after last nights loss to Wazzu

Sound familiar?

Pretty bad when your biggest rival is rooting for you to stick around for as long as possible. http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_br...e-kffin-washington-state-mike-leach-under-fre

As far as the Gators and the rest of our season is concerned I sincerely hope Will and Pease do some serious self-scouting and realize letting the opposing defense dictate what you do on offense and not the other way around is a sure fire way to lose close games every year.

On a side note, yes Driskel made some seriously dumb decisions and mistakes. But I think Gator Nation is giving him far too much of the blame. I think our coaching philosophy on offense sets him up to fail. I also think we tend to ignore all the good that's come with the bad while forgetting that the guy he replaced, Brantley, did very little good things, and was much worse.

I'm not ready to give up on JD and true Gator fans who actually watch and know the game somewhat shouldn't be either.

In the grand scheme of things yesterday's loss means absolutely NOTHING. Win out and we'll more than likely be in National Title game. Many will scoff at that notion but our defense is THAT good regardless of how bad some may feel our O and QB are. It's almost improbable we will have another game, much less multiple ones, where our offense gives the ball away 5 times and scores no points in 6 trips to the RedZone. Just look at last year and the UGA game being the exception rather than the rule. Because its the second game of the year many are gonna doom and gloom without realizing or looking at reality. I think our O is improved from last year and we have much more explosive potential than last. Plus this loss gives us an early chance to realize just how glaring of a problem the offensive philosophy is and make some slight adjustments to avoid similar fate later in season. It's also something that isn't a major overhaul to where we're starting from scratch. Only thing I worry about though is if Muschamp has it in him to realize just how much the strategy on O is a detriment than way to win.

Granted yesterday could cause the opposite effect to where Jeff and O let it hang over them all year and either press too hard or just fold when confronted with adversity again. Again this is where coaching is key. I also fear Will could be too stubborn to admit there's an issue other than "execution" and be so steadfast in proving his way is only way to win. I'm all behind Muschamp but if that is case he's doomed here. You have to be willing to be self-critical and open to doing it a different way. Not changing the whole strategy but at least give your team an edge. One of things that made Spurrier and Meyer so successful here was their willingness to adapt and to put their foot on an opponents neck from the opening kickoff and don't take it off till they beg you to. IMO we have talent to do that and by not taking that approach it almost gives your team doubt that the HBC believes in them enough to do that and not screw up in the process. It gives your offense a healthy cockiness to their play and belief that when you are in an adverse position, or behind, that you know you're gonna come back and your coach has belief in you to do so.
  2. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +153
  3. moegator

moegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +92
    Amen. Well said. Not much to argue with there.
  4. danky1313

danky1313 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    I would like for once Will tells the team on Sunday, week of game, that guys we are gonna go out and take it to these guys from snap one on O and beat them so bad they'll need an extra digit on the scoreboard. Then keep that mentality through game planning and practice all week and all the way through the game. And, because he can, say Defense just do what you do. Just try it once coach, what can it hurt? Who knows you may get addicted to demolishing a team on scoreboard and not just defensive numbers, TOP and rushing yards.
  5. gatorlaw71

gatorlaw71 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    That's what some people claimed about losing the Sugar Bowl game too.

Add a "nothing" loss to an instate rival to a "nothing" loss in a bowl game and then another and another, and pretty soon you'll find the result is what your football program adds up to:

Nothing.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Dang. Well said.
  7. danky1313

danky1313 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    You're only right if we let this, and Sugar Bowl, loss affect us rest of season and if our play, only the high number of mistakes, Saturday becomes something of regular occurrence and cost us multiple games this year. And as I mentioned in my original post having stats like 5 TOs with 6 RZ trips and no points is almost improbable to happen once more this year much less multiple times.

However, due to our D and potential on O (we dominated UM, take away anyone of the mistakes and capitalize we win) we have an opportunity in front of us with a bye week and schedule set up from here to make necessary adjustments which are not major and win out. If we do that or something very close then this loss would yes mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and most of the downers in the Gator Nation will care less about this loss.

Those who would remain downers if we were do that will still be downers for one or a combo of three reasons and they will say:
    1. The Miami loss hurts us recruiting against Miami
    2. I live in South Florida, or have a lot of Cane acquaintances, and have to hear it from Cane fans.
    3. I'm just a downer and no matter what ill find something to complain about.

...to which reality and logic will suggest:
    1. Miami is going to be feeling the hammer of NCAA sanctions before the season is over and if we lose any recruits to them in the next 3-4 years it will be very few of them and those recruits were probably going to Miami regardless. By time they're done with any sanctions they'll be beginning an uphill climb back and most recruits won't even remember this game.
    2. Grow up, who cares. Tell them congrats we couldn't hear ya because our ears are still ringing from celebrating our Championship (SEC and/or National Title)
    3. See first sentence in #2 right above.

Listen, I understand Saturday was not good and that its possible its an indication of more to come. However if you look at the things we did well, our potential and our schedule in next few weeks logic would tell you it's not all that far-fetched to believe there's a good opportunity to make the loss to Miami fairly meaningless. Look no further than last season, a full year not 2 games in, to be confident that a game like the one Saturday is more of an anomaly than frequent occurrence.
  8. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,599
    U make "winning out" sound so easy. Even though our Oline struggled against a non SEC team Saturday. Would love to buy into this but I honestly just don't see us doing better than 9-3 at best.
  9. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    Agreed on Jeff, even with the bad plays, he probably had the best game statistically he's ever had. Coaches need to fix themselves or they will get fixed.
  10. danky1313

danky1313 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    Well I tried to quantify it as much as I could. It's not easy for the very reasons we are sitting here having to win out to make a loss meaningless: Coaching, strategy and QB play which is a result of first two. Those aren't difficult things to overcome IF the coach, and his staff, are willing and able to admit where the issues are, accept changes should be made, make appropriate changes without trying to over-do it. If there's one thing I've learned though in my 30+ years following football it's that coaches are proud, stubborn and don't like admitting their way of doing things needs changes. Now that makes it sound very difficult. But it's not because the changes we need really only require a slight change in strategy and implementation. Plus they have the talent to work with to make it work.

I just refuse to be someone who looks at something I care, love and am passionate about as a half-empty glass only TWO games into a season. NONE of us have seen an undefeated season from start to finish here so its almost comical to see so many Gator fans acting like we should shut the program down after one loss coming after an 11 win season. Move the UGA loss last year to the 2nd game of the season. Imagine what people's thoughts would've been then compared to winning the rest after in the regular season. You can do that with a number of our one loss regular seasons in the past. I get it, it's mistakes we made and way we made them as to why so many are thinking its gonna be a long painful year. But again, logic should say making that many of those type of mistakes in one game is not very probable to happen over and over throughout the year or even in 2-3 more games this year.
  11. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    We don't need to turn it over a ton of times to lose. And besides turnovers happen to all teams. Miami has a bad defense, lets not forget that. So say we don't have a turnover prone game but we play an elite defense?
  12. danky1313

danky1313 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    That would be a lefir point if we didnt dominate them on O between the 20's. Look at the stats. JD had a career day passing. Patton had over a 100 yards receiving. Miami has a great offense and we doubled their production.
  13. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Meyer felt the pressure after winning two championships. It was so great that he folded. I dont recall losses that were so avoidable under him (as painful, maybe). We have had two unacceptable losses that were completely self inflicted (Georgia and Miami) and one that was unanticipated and humiliating (Louisville). It also left us the whole offseason to stew over it. How much longer until Muschamp begins to cave as Urban did? At least Meyer could point to a loss in outstanding personnel (both players and coaches). His system was not doubted any near the current system. I guess a pro-style offense means styling yourself after the Jacksonville Jaguars, with the same results.
  14. swoosh69

swoosh69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    I recall the Miss St game his final year, lost 10-7. Couldn't score then either. I believe Sturgis was out and Henry had to kick field goals, which he missed.
  15. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    You know you are screwed when comparing your coach to Kiffin.
  16. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +428
    Losing to Miami means a lot. I agree. I also think it has eliminated us from winning the NC because I could see us winning out and still being too far behind since we are coming from 18.

But, it does not impact our immediate goals of winning the East or the SEC. If anything, it may have opened the coaches' eyes and help us beat the other SEC schools.

There is still a lot left to play for.
  17. danky1313

danky1313 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    Only IF there are 2 teams from Power Conferences that are undefeated would be left out. If we win out and are the SEC Champ there is NO WAY we would be left out in favor of another one-loss team. NO CHANCE at all that would ever happen no matter where we are ranked right now. Well, maybe if every other SEC team had 3-4 losses and lost to terrible OOC teams and thus the strength of the conference compromised. We all know that's not gonna happen.
  18. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Coach's eyes won't be opened. He'll look at the stats, say there's nothing wrong with his system, and continue doing the same thing.
  19. danky1313

danky1313 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    This is the biggest thing I am afraid of and IMO probably one of the few things that can hold back this team from reaching it's potential.
  20. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,275
    You mean like LSU, South Carolina & FSU....to name just three opponents?
    Plus maybe the poodles, Vanderbilt and even Tennessee to name 3 more?
    Yeah...we have a disaster waiting in the wings.