Kids React to Controversial Cheerios Commercial

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, Jul 17, 2013.

1. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +632
    I'm one of the older ones on the board here. Though I was raised to overcome the racism inherent in Florida when I was growing up (civil rights era), when a young lady of our acquaintance fell in love with a black man, her parents (and myself) were appalled. For reasons I can't even explain, it didn't feel right.

Today, my oldest daughter is married to a wonderful Ugandan man and my two grandsons are a beautiful mix of the two.

My second daughter is engaged to be married to a Vietnamese immigrant. Again, an outstanding young man of great character.

I guess God showed me!!! :)
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,105
    The fact that racial mixing is possible is the best indication that there is nothing wrong or unnatural about it.
  3. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    Loved everything about this post, rep to you sir
  4. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    This is part of the problem. I witnessed mixed children (specifically white/black mix) have social disadvantages in school because they cant relate totally to white or black. So to me, its more about skin color than anything else with an exception, behavior. By that I mean when you see a white girl with a black man, she typically will act like she is from the ghetto. I absolutely do NOT want that for my daughter. To me, thats worst case scenario.

Im not necessarily worried about myself in this situation. More about my daughters future and their kids future in school and life in general. Like it or not, people do still look down upon mixed couples and their children.

Answered this above but, not me, my kids and grand kids, socially.

I don't quite understand this question.

I will do the same thing my mom did to me. At some point I will tell my children that as their dad I have certain expectations and goals for them in life and marriage. I will tell them that you should treat all people of any color as if they were your family unless they do something wrong to you, but I hope that they would marry with their own "kind" or I guess to explain that more, closer to their shade of color. Then as my mom did, I will backoff and let her live her life. Im sure my mom didn't like that I started hanging out with mostly black kids in high school or that I exclusively listened to rap and sometimes wore baggy clothes, but she let it go as a "phase" and I guess hoped for the best.

People will think Im a hypocrite because I married a Cuban girl but I met her when I was about 10 years old and didn't even know she was Cuban because she just looked like a tan white girl. We dated on and off throughout middle school and high school and ended up getting married after I came back from the Navy.

I guess if there was a gun to my head, my biggest fear is my daughter being influenced to act different than how she is raised. Im not saying white girls that act "ghetto" are bad people, I just don't want that for my kids.
  5. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +235
    Wow, just wow,
    Do you realize that skin color is not exclusive to a "kind"? A group of nomads that travels from the northern hemisphere to the southern hemisphere have and will completely change skin color over the course of 5 thousand years simply due to the forces of evolution and natural selection - it is what is on the inside that counts, as you have found with your wife.
  6. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Did I not say that? I said above everything else its behavior. I mean, what is up with people and not reading what is written? It's really getting old. Read a sentence, comprehend it, then respond. It's really not hard at all.

I mean ITS RIGHT THERE. Plus, please get off of your high horse because Im just not afraid to say what some of you closet racists (not you by the way) dont want to express what you feel deep inside.