Kerwin is WM's best chance at regaining Gator Nation's love

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by msa3, Nov 10, 2013.

1. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +893
    I posted this on the other side, but I thought I'd do it here, too.

Assuming he is retained, I think the best chance WM has of regaining the support of Gator fans is to hire Kerwin Bell and turn him loose. I don't say that because I know KB will be a great coordinator -- I don't know -- but because bringing him in will make most Gator fans enthusiastic for the 2014 season. He's a name they know well (unlike most OCs) and has built-in good will. He'll get something WM doesn't get anymore -- the benefit of the doubt.

He's got some level of credibility, he's a Gator legend (I think only SOS and TT would have the same level of positive feeling surrounding him) and his offense does well at Jacksonville. Granted, it's Jacksonville, but most fans don't know the names of OCs around the country. And there are enough transitional success stories -- Malzhan, Kelly, Briles -- to make you think that it can work. Doesn't mean it will, but given where we are, fans need hope as much as they need anything.

The key would be letting him do as he sees fit. That would be hard, but doing things WM's way hasn't been working so well lately.

This is as much a perception move as it is a football one, but I think it's one that's based in reason, and if WM is going to have any level of fan support through the off season and going into 2014 -- if there is going to be any level of optimism among casual fans -- he needs to tap into already existing good will. No one available would do that better than Kerwin.

It might seem desperate. Given the way WM likes to play, it would be desperate. But you know what they say about desperate times.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,864
    Sorry. I just dont get the KB love...as an OC. I get the love as a former player...just not as an OC.
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,943
    Yep. Bump Leak up to QB coach; James Bates for DC; Louis Oliver for DB coach; Max Starks to coach up the OL. Neal Anderson will coach the RBs. It's the only way to save the fanbase.
  4. gatorcrimlaw08

gatorcrimlaw08 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    I don't see Muschamp letting anyone run wild with our offense.
  5. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,033
    Exactly.

Unfortunately.
  6. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,033
    ...but it is a great idea.
  7. masterswordmaster

masterswordmaster Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    If you take any other person with the same resume as Kerwin Bell and made him the OC at the University of Florida, our fanbase would openly revolt. He only gets so much love because he used to play at UF.
  8. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +278
    Yes his 4-6 record would inspire tons of confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  9. TWGator

TWGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +108
    This. How many times have you heard Bell's name mentioned around any other coaching vacancies? He's only talked about by UF fans. This coming from a guy who idolized Kerwin when he was a kid...
  10. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +882
    Love Kerwin, but the only way to satisfy us at this point is tear it all down and build it back it up. I think we can win sooner that way and it's better for the long run.
  11. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +893
    43-25 at Jacksonville. 512 yards a game this year. For his career about 450 a game with non-schlaorship players.

Enough to be credible.
  12. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,164

Problem is, Muschamp would micro-manage him. Muschamp has recruited the certain style of players he wants to run an offense with, so he'll make sure his OC runs the plays he wants.

A lot of folks don't realize that Weis too was being micro-managed and saw a great opportunity to get another HBC'ing job at the same time and so parted ways with UF amicably. I know that will be contested here, but it's something I heard once from a friend at UF. I can't prove it, but it sort of makes sense to me.

Then Pease, an OC known for his offensive versatility and aggressiveness is hired in a somewhat heated battle for his services between Muschamp and Bama's Nick Saban, and has since ceremoniously flopped as we have not really seen much of that same versatile, aggressive OC at UF in his two seasons.

Muschamp is a control freak of sorts, and he needs to learn to let his assistants do their jobs and oversee them, not micro-manage them.
  13. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Sure...In the MAC maybe.
  14. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    The OP is correct on all counts. Yes it would be a risk but it would garner him some desperately needed goodwill. That said....would Kerwin take the job under these circumstances? Its a very tall order to come in and be responsible for pulling a 180 degree turn in one season OR....everybody gets fired. If you're Kerwin, do you really want to run that risk? He is coaching his son Kade who is the QB at JU right now.

Also, there have been rumors that he was offered the job 2 years ago but turned it down because he would have had to run the ultra conservative clock chewing Offense Muschamp wants. Whether that is true or not, none of us will ever know but given how much he talks about it as part of the overall philosophy, I do think Muschamp has a strong influence on how the Offense is run.
  15. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +893
    How many times do you recognize the name of anyone rumored for an OC job, unless they were a fired head coach?

I'm not saying it's perfect, but who else is out there that's an OC now that would get anyone's attention or excited?

I would rather a new head coach. But if we don't get one, this hire not only has to be good, it has to be exciting. Or else 2014 is going to be more of the same.
  16. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    FTR, Bell has been offered QB coach and OC jobs at other programs and has turned them down. I know Charlie Strong offered him the OC job at Louisville.
  17. TNGatorFan

TNGatorFan Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    That is EXACTLY why we are in this position! WM needs to stick to the defense and let the OC (Pease) run the offense the way he wants to. Pease is a good OC. He didn't put up those offensive numbers at Boise because he was bad and there is no way he got better talent there.

Give up the control and let Pease loose. The problem isn't with the offensive coaches it's with the defensive head coach's control complex over the offensive system.
  18. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,859
    I don't think Muschamp should be fired right now.

If he were to hire Kerwin Bell as his OC, with his job riding on it next year, that would move me firmly into the "what in the heck is this guy thinking, is he out of his dang mind?" camp.
  19. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +893
    I think it's a win-win for Kerwin. If the offense gets better, he gets a lot of accolades. If it stinks, the blame falls more on WM. If the offense is good and the team doesn't perform, then KB is in the easy promotion spot.

There's a lot more risk for Muschamp in this than Kerwin -- it's a difficult thing to hire the guy who, if successful, could succeed you. But it's what good CEOs do. And, assuming he's back, he's running out of options.
  20. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +525
    I'm sorry, but I just don't think most of Gator nation would care. There is a small subset of the fanbase online and in Ocala that always tries to drum up support for him, but I don't think most fans would care one way or another. Just get the best candidate available.