Kerwin Bell In?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by diehardgator1, Dec 1, 2013.

1. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +790
    You are right that great coaches usually don't get blamed for much, but the key difference is that if you are proven then you get the benefit of the doubt during a down season. Meyer won a SEC title and national title in 2006 so he got a pass for 2007. When a coach is proven we know what they are capable of so when a bad season comes we can expect for them to rebound. With an unproven coach we have no idea if they are capable of being a good coach, so if the results don't come people understandably doubt them.

Zook and Muschamp won zero national titles, let alone SEC or even SEC East titles plus they had average records so they get no benefit of the doubt from fans.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. TIMaGATOR

TIMaGATOR VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +137
    Meyer has been accused of of micromanaging Mullen at the mud bowl in Tally. Mullen and Tebow convinced Meyer to go with the game plan and run the offense instead of "riding the horse" as Meyer himself was quoted as wanting to alter the game plan due to rain.

I also do not agree with the assertion that a boss having final say over how his organization is run being micromanagement. I would actually consider that to be active management. That said, the UF offense has been terrible and someone needs to make better decisions in it's management and plan to move the damn ball and score some points.
  3. garettk

garettk Member

Ratings Received:
    +134
    Please refrain from anything that could be confused for logic. No one wants there ingrained opinions challenged:)
  4. Hebron13

Hebron13 Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    Ok great coaches or beloved coaches get a pass....because they earned it. Spurrier is in the top 5 all time in face of a university status. He is mostly responsible for what we have at UF. Are you saying this "beloved"status is unique to UF? I wouldn't put Meyer anywhere close to beloved. Now that's a whole mother argument. These coaches today mostly are micromanagers. They manage a lot more minutia than guys like SOS. Control freak is flavor of the last decade with Meyer, Saban, etc. some exceptions but when you put a program on a real map you should get passes for the few things that went wrong. Like you always illustrate it's about returning starters and injuries anyway. As long s that number is above x that has established a history of x amount of wins then Mickey Mouse could be the coach. These guys get too much credit and blame anyway...it's the QB for Xmas sake
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,335
    Zook DID win an SEC East title in 2003.

Double standards are dishonest. When a coach is NOT considered "great," he gets the blame, while "great" coaches get a pass, and the burden of blame goes to the coordinators and/or players.

This is dishonest nosense, IMO. Great coaches can ALSO have bad years, and the reasons for those bad years are exactly the same as those for the average coaches.

The reason Meyer went 9-4 in 2007 is EXACTLY the SAME reason why Zook went 8-5 in 2003 and 2004. Both coaches had very inexperienced defenses those years. Zook was fortunate to have an outstanding quarterback those years (albeit said QB was only a true freshman in 2003), but Meyer had the Heisman Trophy winner on HIS team. I love Meyer, but I wonder how good a coaching job he did. Compare the teams of the last three quarterbacks in the SEC to win the Heisman:

School------------Total Offense----------Total Defense--------# 9+-Win Opp-------W/L Record

Texas A&M.....................3d......................................57th....................................5...................................11-2
    Auburn............................7th....................................60th....................................7...................................14-0
    Florida...........................14th....................................41st.....................................5......................................9-4

Florida had the best defense of the three, but had the worst offense. Was it Meyer's coaching, or was the problem elsewhere?
  6. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,335
    So if you give them a pass for what went wrong in a given game or season, who do you blame for what went wrong? And Spurrier had every bit as much influence on his DCs as any other coach with THEIR coordinators. Blaming Zook, Pruett or Hoke was simply a convenient way to absolve SOS of blame when the Gators lost. Convenient scapegoats.

But you are right in that it happens everywhere. At Virginia Tech, for example, Beamer and DC Bud Foster can do no wrong, so it is usually the OC or a player that gets saddled with the blame. A decade ago, at FSU, Saint Bobby and Mickey Andrews were gods, so all the blame went to Jeff Bowden. At Alabama, Saban gets NO blame for their rare losses, even though in the Auburn loss, Saban called a very stupid play and didn't have his STs ready for a possible return. Spurrier probably averages one loss per year at USCe due to either bad playcalling or bad clock management, yet the Gameckc faithful will find a way to blame either the DC or the QB for the loss. It is not unique to Florida by ANY stretch.

Couldn't agree more, as Larry Coker and Gene Chizik (among many others) demonstrated over the years. And you are also right regarding the quarterbacks. They are ultimately the ones that pull the trigger.
  7. nickdelatorre

nickdelatorre Beat Reporter Staff Member GC Staff GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,698
    Kerwin Bell will not be the offensive coordinator at Florida.
  8. Hebron13

Hebron13 Member

Ratings Received:
    +27

Personally I am not a big "blamer" of coaches. Player play. Now sure clock management, 4th and short decisions etc all impact a game, but at the end of the day , especially when judged over time, not one play or season, to me it's about the players. Sure the coaches recruited them and coached them up at their position but usually it come down to executing. When you are talking the top say 30-40 schools in the country I don't believe coaches do much different. I know offensive and defensive philosophy matter but still at the end of the day players need to execute.

Any coach in America will tell you how hard they work, and they do, but the ones that are more successful execute what they do. Keep in mind my point is over time, so one game or season does not make a good or bad coach.
  9. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +228
    These deep, dark insider "pronouncements" with a hint of unspoken activity bother me a great deal, especially against a great Gator and one of the few I have personally met. Kerwin Bell has always stuck me as being a man of high integrity and it will take a VERY high bar of proof to convince me otherwise.

I hope there are others who feel the same way.
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    I'm not saying Bell will be the OC or that he even has a shot, but history tells us to take these "insider" pronouncements with a metric ton of salt.
  11. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,335
    So it's NOT a done deal?:eek: