Kentucky @ LSU 9:00 ESPN

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Jan 28, 2014.

1. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat <font color=blue>Respected Rival</font>

Ratings Received:
    +598
    Totally agree...maybe this group needs to be taught how to do that tool oh well time to turn the page and move on.

Calipari and I disagree on quite a few things, so him going to the NBA would not hurt my feelings!
  2. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    Wait you live in Ocala cat...I may be moving there soon. Lived there for eight years. If you need a tennis coach let me know :p.
  3. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    The culture of one and done, which is a byproduct of our era of instant gratification, is the problem. The fact that an individual is NBA ready after high school doesn't bother me. However, the hype that extends to those those who think they should be and are not creates problems with team chemistry and coaching dynamics.

I don't feel sorry for Cal because he very willingly has built his roster with multiple one and dones and has sold the hype to these kids. However, his coaching job just got tougher when players such as the Harrisons struggle and don't live up to their billing. Can Cal really use the bench as a means of discipline? Which AAU coach, agent, parent starts complaining? How does this affect the next class of One and Dones if the Harrisons stay (as they probably should)?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +598
    Hey I love playing tennis. I'm not the best after my eye injury though lol
  5. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +598
    The Harrison's have to come back......never really thought they would leave after this year to begin with. We have Ulis coming in and Booker in the backcourt and neither of them is a one and done.....in fact none of our recruits next year are IMHO.
  6. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +593
    Some of you have mentioned the possibility for UK to experience some transfers as well. I don't expect many, or any necessarily, but it also wouldn't shock me to see at some point. Like with any Cal team, if many go pro then we'll lack depth the following year. If few go pro we'll be pretty loaded. If few go pro two years in a row and combine with a solid recruiting class that includes 2 mult-year guys also, then it may mean overkill. We'll see.

I've always said I prefer more of a reliance on one and done players (assuming equal success at least), but I'll be honest and say I'm enjoying watching all of this unfold. It definitely keeps it interesting. My wife went off today about how she's done with it. She's tired of learning new names every year and thinks the new players don't have the personality of Cal's first freshmen. To each their own I guess!
  7. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +598
    I'm not real pleased with the merry go round either however when I think 4 yr players I think of some mediocre players UK has had....probably why I'm not that sold on it.

Calipari will change his philosophy a bit, or leave....or both!

Jeff
  8. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,864
    If most of the players return next year it should be a whole different looking team.
  9. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +593

Just wanted to point out here (FYI) that I hadn't gotten to the "extreme homer" part of this thread before "liking" it. I don't mean to make it seem like I think that of Hall.
  10. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    The fact is..we are over hyping his inabilities here. I don't like us doing it to anyone because then we become "an unreasonable fan base". Cal is an elite coach, simple as that. I want him in the SEC. I want Donovan to have a rival in a sense though they both like each other. I think having UK in the SEC as a strong team only makes us better by having to face them and find ways to compete with them. Transfers, a few five stars, and four year players. I think with the elite defensive coach Donovan has grown into this formula sets up for us to compete yearly with much more consistency than any time in his tenure(outside of 04-06 obviously).
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    Our recent success in the face of their two final fours and one championship should have put our fears about Cal's strategy dooming us (and the rest of the NCAA) to rest.
  12. maleko83

maleko83 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    I agree with you, and I guess what's bothersome is that he has to resort to that kind of coaching style. I mean, forcibly engaging your players in the game while the ball is in play? Maybe I'm just not looking for it, but I can honestly say I've never seen that before.
  13. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    According to some UK fans , Billy has not proved himself yet to be awarded the UK Basketball coach. Maybe one day Cats. By the way call the UF ticket office if you need tix for the final 4 this year. Would that count as a proving point on his resume ?
  14. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +598
    Are you asking me that question? As I stated a long time when I first started posting I was pissed that Pitino recommended Tubby and not Billy. I have ALWAYS wanted BD at UK, but it isnt meant to be and you move on.

Jeff
  15. maleko83

maleko83 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    According to this article, Cal is stating the twins are coming back, but that decision isn't set in stone.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...ker-andrew-wiggins-joel-embiid?eadid=EL/SICOM
  16. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +593

Not saying that can't be true, but I wouldn't put much stock in it at this point. Ultimately, its not Cal's decision. Its still relatively early. What might be more telling IMO, but also backs up this article, is that you've seen UK's staff put less of an effort into recruiting Rashad Vaughn (sp?) lately. Not a chance he'd pick UK if the twins return.

But hey, the twins said that they'd be attending UK "for four years" when they committed. So I'm sure they'll definitely be here three more years.
  17. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +800
    Yeah, 4 total years between the two of them :p
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,273
    Well played, Brad.
  19. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +598
    If the Harrison's want to be like Marquis Teague then go.......he nor they are ready!

Jeff
  20. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +593

Not calling you out or anything Bengerman in renewing this thread, just saw something that reminded me of this discussion. I'm not posting this as proof of being right or anything, I think we understood eachother. Just wanted to give an example of a OAD player returning and connecting with the community.

Nerlens Noel is back in Lexington this weekend and played pickup basketball with some random kids in a random neighborhood on their street. Noel posted this "spoof" video he made with the kids that copies a recent Anthony Davis commercial.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...um=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national
    • Like Like x 1