Kentucky @ LSU 9:00 ESPN

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Jan 28, 2014.

1. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +319
    I agree he'll have to tweak it & try to keep around some 4-year players for leadership, which out of the points you made, I think will be enough. The question is, what 4-year player will want to be recruited to UK when they know that a one-and-done might be recruited in any year to take their place for that year? Perhaps Calipari decides to take the PG position, as a natural leadership position, & recruit 4-year players there. Will the one-and-done players respect the leadership of that PG? This is all a rather slippery slope & it will take some fine tuning to get it right.
  2. gaturguru

gaturguru Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    Actually it is more like reality. I'd take a 1 and done of Anthony Davis over a 4-year Patric Young any day of the week. The problem this year is some of Coach Calipari's players have yet to take the next step and others are just over-rated or will need a lot more time to adjust. We are seeing it with our very own in Kasey Hill and of course Chris Walker might not be a superstar right away.

I love how UK posters attempt to inject rational conversation into these boards only to get run off by extreme homers like yourself.
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +191
    If your roster consists of one and dones you never know if freshman will develop the mentality to win on the road or not - it is a function of experience and do you learn from your experiences or not. At some point one would think given their talent they will figure it out but then again they may not this season - who knows with freshman.

UK is a very good home team which is what one would expect from a roster with talented freshman on it.

I would assume UK will get better as season moves on but I don't think it should be a surprise they lose games like this. Road games are road games and if you have some decent talent which LSU does have (even though the overall league is just average) then games like this happen.

At some point UF is going to lose in the conference and it will probaby be to somebody they should not lose to on paper because it happens every year.

An issue I certainty did note in watching last night was when I believe in the first half when the tv panned to the bench and one of the players was arguing with the coaches and talking back to him which would bring up the issues of attitude and listening to what your coaches want instead of doing your own thing. To me that is a completely different issue in terms of possible chemistry between players and coaches. I'm not sure talking back to your coach is generally a good idea to do but if you have freshman who may think they know it all then you know the coaches still have some work to do with them. You test your team's character when you are losing and see how various players react to it. Last night shows me they still have issues to figure out and like I said you just never know if freshman will figure it out during the season or not.
  4. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +800
    I don't know if it's an inherent bias I have against him, but I HATED seeing Calipari whining during the second half last night. Billy either calmly talks to the refs or he yells at them, but I've never seen him make these sad pouty faces that Cal makes while he screams at the refs. It looks like he is a baby with a loaded diaper.
  5. LetItFly

LetItFly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +221
    Just like his players
  6. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    How come nobody questions Cal's coaching ability?! He assembles year in and year out the best talent laden team in college basketball yet has underachieved more times than not. His coaching style appears to me to constantly berate the officials for calls and then berate his own players for mistakes....is he that great of an X's and O's coach or is he just the best at getting the NBA talent high school kids. Who in the NCAA has 3 legitimate NBA post players and 3 other NBA level players on the roster at one time...it is hard to believe they ever lose with such a talent discrepancy.
  7. LetItFly

Ratings Received:
    +221
    Cal is a horrible coach, but everyone seems blind to this. He relies on the talent he recruits and does not develop talent. He also doesnt coach a team concept....that's why he calls it a players school.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  8. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +800
    Agree with LetItFly's post above mine, and say that I noticed he certainly hasn't taught any of these kids how to properly defend a ball screen...I'm not even sure a couple of them know what a ball screen is. The first one gets them thinking, and the second one has them tripping over themselves. Their defense is crap. I think we roll them at home and win a close one at Rupp...unfortunately I will miss watching my first Gator bball game this season when we play at Rupp because I'll be camping at a music festival. It was a tough call...
  9. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    He really needs to make a stand with their team and bench the whole starting five. he probably still has a team with top 25 talent all on the bench. the starters(outside of james young) showed absolutely zero hustle, if he wants to show his players he means business, put them on the bench and give the guys on the bench a chance
  10. sixoburn

sixoburn Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    I think you guys are under-selling coach Cal a little (on basketball related matters). There are currently a lot of Gators in the NBA, and if you thew them all on a team as freshman, how good would that team be? A big man rotation of (freshman) Noah, Bonner and Horford isn't exactly something you are going to ride to a championship (Horford would be solid). Realistically, the "gator freshman NBA team" gets a big boost this year because Nick Calathes is now playing stateside, and he has been our only freshman who was legitimately an all-SEC player. Freshman Parsons isn't going to win you any games in March. You can compare Anthony Davis to Pat Young, but Cal has signed a lot of big name players since Davis, and how many have been as good as him?

I don't know if (m)any other teams can recruit like Calipari, but remember that Billy kinda voluntarily stopped going after all big name players during the mid 2000s because it is really hard to win with them. Recruiting future classes is very difficult because you have no idea who will be on your roster. You then end up with a bunch of transfers and players leaving early, even if they shouldn't.

One of the under-appreciated aspects of our program is that Billy has become one of the best roster managers in college basketball by relying on solid 4 year players (I would put our current seniors, sans Young, who most wouldn't have expected to stick around 4 years when he signed). But looking forward, Chiozza is going to be a (probably very good) four year player, especially if he gets to learn behind hill for a year, Francis will be here at least 2-3 years, and then you have the 5* guy in Robinson. Getting solid transfers is even better because they practice with you for a year and are older, so they are more experienced when they first step on the court, and since they have already transferred they aren't going anywhere.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +823
    More than anything, I enjoy watching a player's career and the development. Watching a kid like Casey Prather - - - to me, is the most enjoyable aspect of following a team and its players.
    But look, I am not discrediting Cal's approach. It works.
    It is just not my thing.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +823
    I disagree entirely.
    I think he generally does a fantastic job of molding individuals into a team, and managing egos and high profile, immature freshmen. He has done this pretty consistently during his time at UK, sans last season. Most impressive is his ability to often get these guys to commit to the defensive side of the ball.
    I am not a fan of his approach, and would be a bit dissatisfied if I were a UK fan --- simply for reasons of preference. But I think Cal coaches his ass, and does a pretty damn good job of it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,873
    Well that's your take on it. That and 10 bucks will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +596
    I think some of you are trying to have it both ways when you question Cal's coaching ability. Be honest and tell me that you actually think this years UK class is the most talented class ever. ?? After watching these guys, do you think that?

How good do you think Andrew and Aaron Harrison are? How effective of college basketball players are they right now? How's their NBA stock looking for the future even?

How many of UK's starters would you pick, for this year, ahead of Florida's starters? I don't care about who the NBA would pick. Who would you take to win games this year? Unless you'd take mainly UK guys, I don't see how you could connect this to Cal's coaching ability.

I think Cal's first 3 years saw freshmen come in who either came in or developed quickly into (I'd say some of both) players that weren't just physically ready, but brought the intensity and the fight required to succeed in college. The last couple years appears to have had more of the common type of freshmen that are going to take time. It means there could be some rough times as Cal (if Cal) adjusts to this. He can't count on Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, Knight, Davis, MKG types to be available every year apparently.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. peteypab

peteypab Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    For me, it would be very tough to question Calipari's coaching ability. He has been to final fours at 3 different schools.... that is really good. Yes he has had some great players on those teams, but why should that be a knock on his coaching? You have to have talent to win. The problem he is having right now is that his important players on the floor are all freshman. There is no leader to look up to when things get tough. Leaders can only be leaders when they are playing, and if you go to Kentucky you either go to the NBA after 1 year or you watch a freshman get recruited to take your spot the next year.
  16. LetItFly

Ratings Received:
    +221
    He has done well and consistently well because of the talent not his coaching. I honestly believe at least 50 coaches in college could have made the final fours and won multiple championships if they had UKs roster over the last 6 years
  17. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I don't think either of them are point guards. I think they will be very good twos at the next level. They are just too big and have problems with quicker players. So, this to me is a coaching problem, because they are out of position. Someone whether it be agents, NBA scouts, parents or the players themselves are dictating that they should play at this position. I don't believe that I'm smarter about basketball than Calipari, as a matter of fact, I'm sure he has forgotton more in 10 minutes than I will ever know. So why are the Harrison's the "ballhandlers, court leaders" of this team?

That being said, I'm never going to say that Calipari isn't a great coach. You don't win 500+ games and not know what you are doing.
  18. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    If UK is going to make a move anytime soon, they should get the guy from Iowa. He had his guys fired up last night even though they lost. Seems like the guy who will through a wall for his players, i have no reason to like Iowa or watch their games other than how funny that guy is too watch on the sidelines
  19. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +709
    I said earlier I think he is a solid in game coach, and as aka said he does an amazing job of managing egos. That being said I stand by my statement that he does a below average job of developing talent once it is on campus. We see time and time again at UF how big a leap many players make between their freshman and sophomore years....tell me how different WCS/Poythress were then last year? Tell me how much Doron Lamb, Kyle Wiltjer, and Terrence JOnes. Pretty much all those players were quality when they came in didn't build on that raw potential the next year.

I will agree with you that this incoming freshman class that was touted as the best ever was more hype than substance. Cal will have a hard time going undefeated with them.
  20. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +709
    Can you really say from an emotional standpoint you don't get more warm fuzzies seeing players like Darius Miller and Josh Harrellson grow and succeed then you do a guy like MKG? Don't get me wrong MKG seems like a great guy and if I was a UK fan I'd be proud to have him wear Wildcat Blue. That being said, those four year guys who struggle and break out are what (IMO) is the best part about college bball.