Kentucky is CBSSports.com's preseason No. 1 team

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Noahtogo24, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Noahtogo24

Noahtogo24 Member

Ratings Received:
    +82 / 2 / -0
  2. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +602 / 30 / -4
    He said on Twitter that it's less of a talent thing and more of a "I won't rank them until they have their full team" kind of thing.
  3. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +514 / 32 / -28
    How far off the average he is for both UK and UF makes me wonder if this is some SEC related bias he's got - for this year at least. He's got UT lower than average also. I've heard him speak about the "lack of quality competition" in the conference in years past. I think he's trying to make some sort of statement.
  4. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +514 / 32 / -28
    But dont' you think UK is closer to 7th than UF is to unranked? His slight to UF is actually what I find most surprising.

Edit: Been a long day. I misread your post. I still don't think its an adequate explanation. Many teams have various issues. In the end, you've gotta go with what is safe to assume IMO. I can't picture what lineup could possibly leave them unranked and why such a line up would be a safe assumption.
  5. Noahtogo24

Noahtogo24 Member

Ratings Received:
    +82 / 2 / -0

Okay, that makes sense. Does anybody think they know how many scholarship players we should have vs Wisconsin?

Oh and he definitely did that to Kentucky to get a rise out of their fans in my opinion.
  6. brianobriano

brianobriano Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Has it be confirmed who is out/supended and until when? When will we have a full starting squad.
  7. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, as of now UF has the following line up:

PG: Wilbekin, Hill
    SG: Frazier, Graham
    SF: Finney-Smith, Prather
    PF: Harris,
    C: Young

So I guess he is worried about UF's depth in the front court? Could he also lowering UK's ranking because Cauley-Stein is out like Yeguete?
  8. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +284 / 3 / -3
    I mean, I can understand a certain "wait and see" approach, but there's no indication that our suspensions/injuries will drag out through the season. It doesn't require a tremendous amount of foresight to make an educated guess about the strength of UF's roster when taken as a whole, and I have a hell of a time imagining that's not one of the 25 best teams in the country.
  9. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Unless he is waiting for C.Walker to be officially on UF's roster to rank them?
  10. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +284 / 3 / -3
    I suppose. But not to denigrate Walker and his extreme talent at all, I don't think he's the difference between an unranked Florida team and a contending Florida team.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BengermanV

Ratings Received:
    +602 / 30 / -4
    Yeah, I'm with you REM. I just think he meant that it's impossible to judge our talent until we know exactly who is playing, and who isn't. I'm not sure it means that even without some of our guys we wouldn't be in the Top 25, he just didn't know where we would be.
  12. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +175 / 20 / -5

Agree, but Walker, Yeguete and Carter could be the difference between a decent/good team and a national title team. My guess is that if and when Gottlieb finds out that we will have a full squad, he puts us well up in the top 10.
  13. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +151 / 16 / -5
    UK#1. Huh? They return only 2 starters. What? But they are both sophomores. Say what. But they have 7 Mcdonald AllAmericans. So.But they have Coach Cheataparri. And.

Too bad I don't have a bookie. Id take that bet that they wont be 1 at the end of the season. Make that by Feb. Heck., make that by Jan, maybe even Dec.
  14. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +514 / 32 / -28

I can do ya one better - I actually think UK loses to Michigan State in November.

I do think they've got a shot at number 1 by the end of the year though, despite youth. Time will tell.
  15. BengermanV

Ratings Received:
    +602 / 30 / -4
    I don't blame the pollsters for putting UK #1. I don't think I would do it, though. Obviously there is talent, but it's hard to gage that talent when almost all of the players on the other team have exclusively gone up against high schoolers at this point. Will they end up there? It's very possible. Do I think I would hand them that spot, despite not seeing 3/4ths of them play a game of college basketball? No.
  16. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +456 / 14 / -2
    Ranking UK #1 is not crazy. The last time they had a solid nucleus of players coming back to mesh with the freshmen they had a great year.

Of course, neither of the returning players is a senior and a glue guy like Darius Miller, and it is doubtful that any of the freshmen will be a once-in-a-decade talent like Anthony Davis. Plus, while UK will be deep, that won't be true for the PG position, where freshmen struggles or an injury could really cost them.

As for UF and Gottlieb, the Gators do have an unusual number of question marks going into the season, but most should be resolved in the first couple weeks of the campaign. If he's ranking the teams on how good they are day one, I get it. If it's a prediction for season' send, his ranking makes no sense.
  17. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Of course it is crazy to rank UK #1. What solid nucleus of players coming back do they have? In the past sports writers had more sense than this, but then in the past a complete know nothing like Gary Parrish would have had to break into the business and learn a bit about college basketball before getting as much visibility as he has now.

This year they have returning Soph Cauley-Stein and Soph Poythress. In 2011 they had Soph T. Jones, Soph D. Lamb, SR D. Miller and SR Vargas. That is 3 starters and a guy in Vargas who at least knew what it took in college basketball. Heck last year with Wiltjer, Harrow and Mayes, UK had a more solid nucleus of veteran players.

A reasonable ranking would have proven teams in the top 5 and more speculative teams like UK and KU in the next five. This does not mean UK can not win it all. Serious people rank based on what they know and some speculation, not complete speculation.
  18. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +508 / 9 / -2
    I guess these types of rankings come down to the particular person's criteria for ranking. If you asked me to rank teams as I see them AT THIS MOMENT IF THEY PLAYED TODAY, I'd rank the Gators outside the top 25. If you asked me to rank the teams today based on how I see them at the end of the season, I'd rank the Gators in the top 10.
  19. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +514 / 32 / -28

I can't make a case for why UK, without question, should be preseason #1 (although the coaches poll that just came out has them there also - not just a writer thing I guess).

I just can't see your comparison of returnees there. You're really counting Vargas??? Well, then count John Hood (and Polson for that matter).

What I see as the difference, if you're going to compare, is no Miller and the two sophomores that are back are not coming off of an experience in the final four.

I've always said that experience (and returning players) are overrated when it is suggested that they are absolutely necessary. It is ALL about how the players play. Everyone gives credit to Lamb, Jones and Miller for UK's title in '12. That's deserved, don't get me wrong. But are you really, is anyone really, suggesting that if you replaced those three players with Knight, Randle and a second MKG - that UK wouldn't have still won a title as a result? I think they would have.
  20. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I counted Vargas only because he had been recruiting and had learned what it took to win at UF and UK. He was a former 5 star recruit that all of UK's frosh 5 star recruits could look to and see that if they did not work hard they might not progress. Is there anyone like that on UK's current team? I think a vet like Vargas brings some value to a team of potentially cocky young guys, but I can certainly see your objection to that.