Kent State Professor Calls For Jihad On Israel, Still Has Job

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorplank, Aug 19, 2014.

1. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    Sorry, didn't mean to direct the questions "right at you" I meant them rhetorically.

I read his letter as an expression of deep frustration, maybe with a mix of sadness and desperation. Writing it as an open letter would be the appropriate place to express such anger even if some of what he wrote might be offensive to some.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  2. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +809
    Everyone can teach you something - sometimes it's who and how NOT to be. I think this Professor is an excellent example of my previous maxim.

Since we have some affiliation w/ Florida I'll quote Walt Disney who said there are 3 types of people:
    Well poisoners.
    Lawn mowers.
    Life enrichers.
    I'll throw this guy into Category "A" for "absolutely."
  3. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +970
    So, an Israeli student should not feel intimidated that their professor wants them dead? What about Jewish students who are supportive of relatives in Israel? Should the university condone a professor who urges homicide?

What if a racist professor published things about black people, urging the homicide of black people? Would that be acceptable to you? Would you be o.k. with your tax dollars supporting that individual teaching at a public school? He has your free speech rights, and he only published a strongly worded, intemperate letter. He has rights, right?

If he published his open letter as a professor of the university, then he has to be fired. Either that, or Kent State should rename itself as Jihad University. He most likely should be fired anyway.
  4. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    I'd say, check out your compatriots on the ISIS thread who are calling for the mass killing of people in the ME.

See here, here and here (this last one had three "agrees").

Your silence is deafening.
  5. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +970
    I'll speak up, since you have started to become deaf. YOU WON'T FIND ANY "AGREES" WITH MY NAME ON THEM.

I do support war in Iraq as a means to eliminate the support of terorrism in the middle east, but that does not include indiscriminate killing of civilians.
  6. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    Your silence is still deafening. Why not speak out against their rather offensive comments?

Presumably you are university educated, so I would hope that you can grasp the core value of academic freedom which underlies the very existence of a university. The professor no more deserves to lose his job than sec or the others theirs for expressing rather contemptible views.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  7. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814
    Geez guys. Academic freedom? How long would he keep his job if he made racist comments. He'd be gone before football started.