Kasey v. Scottie

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GreenNNScaly, Nov 1, 2013.

1. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Actually, I thought that Hill was not particularly impressive given the hype. He obviously has a lot of ability, skills and quickness, but he will make freshman mistakes.

Wilbekin, as he always does, will do what is necessary to help the team, whether that be playing the 4 or working with Hill. He has been one of the most underrated players ever to play for the Gators. His basketball IQ is simply off the charts, and you don't make the SEC defensive 1st team unless you are extremely athletic (defense utterly depends on athleticism and he has always been an outstanding defensive player for the Gators, even when he was an early, 17 year old freshman and shut down Tennessee's stud offensive 6'7" small forward - you can't do that unless you are extremely athletic - QUOD ERAT DEMONSTRATUM!!!).

They will likely complement each other very well, however, being the best - I question that. The Gators have had some pretty good complimentary Guard combinations, like Bret Nelson, Justin Hamilton, Teddy Dupay and Kenyon Weeks among others. Adding Frazier and Carter to the mix might make this year's group comparable to that one, perhaps.
  2. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +746
    I sure hope we're not forced to put Wilbekin at PF.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,696
    I think he is referring to 2011-12, when Wilbekin and Beal both had to play some limited four down the stretch.
  4. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +746
    Ah, ok. I don't recall that. I really really hope it doesn't get that bad this year.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,696
    Seriously. It was just for a few games after Yeguete got hurt and when Prather was either limited or out altogether. What it did show was how cerebral and physical Wilbekin is on the court (not to mention Beal).
  6. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Brett Nelson & Anthony Roberson were on the same team and both 5 Star HS recruits. Both solid college players.
  7. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +324
    I didn't see much of Kasey 's ability to set up shots for other players. He can get to the basket & handle himself against college players, but I'm more concerned with his passing & assists.
  8. LetItFly

LetItFly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +221
    Who was he going to set up....our best players/shooters were not playing. Dwalker, prather and Graham can not do anything from the outside. (Dwalker is improving). We were completely one diminsional and just drove to the basket all game. We also missed about 10 shots that could have given Hill an assist, but again we were playing with horrible shooters.
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,696
    He has always been a great passer and playmaker. But we were mostly playing with perimeter guys at the post. Who among them is going to post up? Or finish a pick and roll? Everyone was missing shots, but he was setting them up, or at least getting would-be hockey assists. Better way to think of it is that we were dead offensively without him. All dribbling and no shot creation. When we came in then game, we got penetration and open looks on the perimeter, even if we weren't making them.
  10. Louisville_Gator

Louisville_Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Don't forget, Kasey is playing arguably the most important/toughest position on the floor as a freshman. Growing pains are more evident when the ball is always in your hands. When Beal was here I had moments where I didn't understand the hype (shooting didn't match my expectations), then a 5 min stretch would remind me that he's the real deal. That's how Kasey will be, but at a more demanding position.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. tim

tim Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    ^ this. The one play that really stood out to me in terms of setting people up was when he almost got stripped at he foul line, kept the ball alive with some fancy handles, and then found an open Graham on the sideline. I remember being impressed with his ball handling and simultaneous awareness
    • Like Like x 1
  12. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    In the exhibition, Kasey showed why he's a McDonald's All-American, and he showed why he's still a freshman. Not to worry. He'll get better each day. You usually DON'T hand over the point guard position to a freshman, unless he's really talented.
  13. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +324
    I didn't say he couldn't or wouldn't be able to run the offense, just that I didn't see it (and yes, there are valid reasons for that, as you both pointed out) & was hoping to see some aspect of that part of his game. His position is the most difficult transition to make from high school. The offense is different, the players are different, etc. So, until I see that he's made the transition (which as I noted he was able to make in regard to penetrating against & handling pressure from college players) it's a concern for me.