Kasey v. Scottie

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GreenNNScaly, Nov 1, 2013.

1. GreenNNScaly

GreenNNScaly Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Never have I seen the Gators with 2 point guards of this quality and ability.

Scottie has been the consumate overachiever. Tremendous athlete. Defensive demon. Improved by leaps and bounds in his 3 yrs under Billy. The only negative has been his offense has been kind of forced but to his credit he has improved and improved and though not dominant definitely very good offensive player. Love him as an all around player and as an athlete.

Kasey - What can you say? Writing this at halftime of the exhibition vs Fla Southern. He has quicks. He has hops. He floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee. You better pick him up past half court or he will hurt you. If you pick him up he can hurt you by finding the open man. OMG as Billy said there will be freshman mistakes. But except for his size the sky is the absolute limit. Kid oozes talent. Don't think the Gators have ever had a freshman PG with this kind of skill and athleticism.
  2. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +596
    I don't think Scotty is the athlete you suggest. He is a very tough physical defender that can hit the spot up 3, hill is a future lottery pick, guy is amazing
  3. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Hill is going to be good.
  4. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    Wilbekin has good athleticism that a lot of people underrate. He doesn't have Hill's athleticism, but he's still very athletic.

And, again, I don't think the theme needs to be "Kasey vs. Scottie." They'll coexist nicely. Wilbekin is a good enough shooter and defender that he'll be able to play off the ball some.
  5. Bullgator40509

Bullgator40509 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    Maybe Kasey AND Scottie- our dynamic duo! :)
  6. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,030
    regardless, they are going to make each other better

we absolutely needs Scotty's defensive mentality to go along with Hill's offense
  7. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    I thought in the first half that I watched Hill showed all the problems one would expect from a talented frosh. He let a DII player pick him clean in the open court. He threw that ball away a few times, he as advertised did not shoot well from the outside. (On making too much about shooting in one game, see my post on another thread about Graham.) He was lost defensively at times.

Now to me he certainly looked much better as a frosh than say Ogbueze a year ago. He is more under control. I am optimistic he can be a quick learner and a solid contributor this year. I am still skeptical that he will blow by high major guards. Remember not only was Hill penetrating to the rim in this game Prather also was able to dribble to the rim on these guys tonight.
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,679
    Agreed. They complement each other very well. Both can play off the ball as well as on it.
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    Our 3 point line D was dreadful all night. Much of it was missing KB, who was great at that, but a lot was missing SW out there. We have to get lots better defending the 3 if we want to be a Top 10 team.
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    Charitable way to say it.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,679
    These boards are ridiculous sometimes. You exaggerate his weaknesses and marginalize his strengths. Sure, he was lost defensively at times. So was our all-SEC defensive team center. That tends to happen when you have a dozen entirely new personnel combinations out there, nearly everyone playing entirely out of position at one time or another, a ton of injuries either being nursed or having limited practice time with certain players, and a pair of walk-ons eating up 20% of the minutes.
    But, hey, you had a nice, representative sample in a single exhibition game with a shell of a roster and no legitimate backup behind Hill to qualify whatever someone can say about him that is positive.

And I don't see the relevance of Prather's penetration for Hill's. Prather was able to get to the rim because he was playing the four and, as least year showed, he can get to the rim at will against bigs. Not sure what that has to do with Hill, who has shown in travel circuit, all star games, and now in an exhibition game that he has a phenomenal extra gear in the open court or in the half court.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,679
    Yes, it was dreadful, but I suspect you don't see many games this season with the same perimeter defensive unit we had out there tonight. We were missing Frazier, Wilbekin, and Finney-Smith, depth problems in the posts forced Prather to play mostly at the four rather than the three, Graham and Walker were getting their first minutes at new positions, Carter is still hobbled and was getting his first minutes for us after only limited workout time, and then you had a walk-on in Donovan. If we are running that unit all season, then you are right: we won't be a top-ten team.
  13. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    Gee:

1. Well, I guess one could say you are minimizing his weakness and exaggerating his strengths too. What I tried to do was offer a balance evaluation of his play. I stand by my analysis.

2. Perhaps you missed my parenthetical remark. I pointed out to some in another thread criticizing a player how well that player shot in this one exhibition a year ago. It is one game as you say. But the worries with Hill coming in were outside shooting, ball security and playing under control. I gave him credit for the last one, but there were issues in the other two.

3. IT WAS FLORIDA SOUTHERN. He may not penetrate quite as well against Wisconsin, Kansas, Alabama, Tennessee etc. The point with Prather is he has not in the past penetrated to the rim with that consistency against top teams and so one might temper one's view of Hill's ability to penetrate against high major defense until he actually shows he can. You may find this surprising, but my experience is that the level of defense of high major college teams is great than that of travel circuit, all star and DII teams.
  14. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,055
    Damn, I missed the game. Completely forgot about it. Can't wait to see them live.
  15. dalwood13

dalwood13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    I don't know why anyone would have concerns about Hill's outside shooting coming in. The kid can shoot the rock - spotting up and off the dribble.
  16. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680
    Don't worry those of us watching on gatorvision missed most of it too
  17. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    Good post. But Casey can get to the rim against any big in the country. If he has a professional future it will be because of this ability. Don't know if Wiltjer ever recovered from getting posterized by Casey. The lack of consistency you cite has more to do with his head than his legs. And perhaps all the more frustrating because of it. That's why so many of us have been waiting for that light to come on with Casey. If he puts it all together he could be a Gerald Wallace type scorer.
  18. Louisville_Gator

Louisville_Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Isn't the main reason why Kasey is as highly touted as he is due to his ability to penetrate & blow by people? If we can't assume this is his strength vs D1 competition, what kind of player are we left with?
  19. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +596
    Gerald Wallace? Now that's funny.
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,679
    Exactly. But I guess all of those all star games weren't play against future D1 competition.