Just the facts on elite coaches

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by SeaBud, Oct 13, 2013.

1. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    well suffice it to say I do not agree with your characterization that I was "making it sound like....."

I never claimed to represent the fanbase and I did not need your admonishment not to do so. Based on history at UF and based on how other bigtime programs have reacted in similar circumstances, I don't think Muschamp will get more than 4 years unless we win a division title this year or next and if we get all but skunked by all of our primary rivals in 4 years (the lone exception would be the win at fsu last year). I think its pretty clear how most simliarly situated fanbases react under those circumstances.
  2. swampbabe

swampbabe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +434
    Where is there any "sunshine pumping" in my comments? I think the O-line is a big problem, as I have stated previously. I don't see any specific, constructive criticisms in your threads, just complaining. And Bobby Petrino is a sleazebag and I would not want him to represent my alma mater in any way.
  3. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    What you call complaining, I call constructive criticism....like saying we need to overhaul our philosophy and strategy on Offense for example....or saying we should give Kelvin Taylor more of a chance (our hand has just been forced on that unfortunately due to injury).
  4. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Austin - the "facts" are not misleading. They are facts. You can rightfully say that most of these coaches were not first time coaches but then you must go where that question leads. It leads to a valid conversation: should we be hiring 1st time head coaches and if so do they get more leeway? In my opinion we should rarely hire first time coaches (irrelevant now as the deed is done), but if we do, I agree they may need more time to "figure it out". Nobody seems willing to look up the success rate of first time coaches at major programs to give us insight over whether more time produces results (and I don't have time)? How about instead of saying the "facts are presented in a misleading fashion" you PROVE that the facts are misleading by showing data that 1st time coaches given more time have "elite" success. I'd LOVE to see it as it would give me more confidence in CWM!! (HONESTLY).

The rest of the posts complaining about name calling (whiny, sunshine pumper etc) or prematurely positively/negatively predicting Muschamp's future are just irrelevant and make me bummed to have started a thread.
  5. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I agree. Next season is setting up to be the litmus test in my mind.
  6. wulimaster

wulimaster Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Sometimes I think some college football fans derive too much of their self-worth from how well a team plays and crying out for coaching changes is a passive, lazy way for them to demand excellence in their lives that they are otherwise unwilling to go out and get on their own for themselves.

Nobody here, of course. I mean other people.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +673
    He can mathematically still win the SEC.
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,481
    I agree here, but this seems different than your OP. Thats where I disagreed with you. If we lose to UGA and FSU the next 2 years...while failing to make Atlanta, I'm probably with you.

I simply dont feel this will happen. We will make it to Atlanta...as early as this season possibly.

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  9. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Don't forget - CWM can still win the SEC East this year, which would put him on the historical path of elite SEC coaches! I think everyone hopes for this outcome (and beating FSU).
  10. zhillsgator86

zhillsgator86 Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Matt Jones Jeff Driskel Dominique Easley ,Chaz Green ,Andre Debose, Matt Rolin ,Nick Washington, season-ending injuries.
    Take 5 Upperclass starters away from any of our championship teams and see what happens.
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,481
    Ahhh perspective....a dying artform.

Good post zhills.

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  12. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,273
    If Boom finished the year 9-3 and went 10-2 next year, even with losses to Georgia and FSU, I can't see Florida firing him. You fire a coach that goes 6-6, 11-1, 9-3 and 10-2 in four years? Remember, other teams ALSO have goals and ambitions. We could finish 6-2 in the SEC the next two years and STILL not get to Atlanta.

* Since divisional play began, Florida went 6-2 or better in conference play and didn't go to Atlanta in 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2012. That is six times in 21 years.

* Tennessee went 6-2 or better in SEC play and didn't go to Atlanta in 1993, 1995, 1996, 1999, and 2003. Five times.

* Georgia went 6-2 or better in SEC play and didn't go to Atlanta in 1992, 1997, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2007, and 2008. Seven times.

Not once on any of these teams was a coach fired after going 6-2 in SEC play and not make it to Atlanta. it was the train wreck seasons that often followed Zook, Goff, Donnan and Fulmer after those 6-2 years.

Good luck trying to find ANYONE to come here if we fire a coach with a hypothetical record like the one I gave Muschamp.
  13. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,273
    Indeed. Perspective is your friend...
  14. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +335
    Um.....no we weren't. Had Jordan Reed not fumbled we still would have had to actually score the TD and get the 2-pt. conversion to tie the game in which Aaron Murray(who finally woke up in the game) would have had the ball with time left for a game-winning drive. Not to mention if it had gone in OT our offense still would have had to score in OT as well. So to say we were 1 fumble away was not accurate at all.
  15. number1

Ratings Received:
    +335
    Not to mention the team we co-championed with beat us head-to-head.
  16. number1

Ratings Received:
    +335
    And keep in mind Meyer was at Bowling Green and Utah for four of those years.
  17. number1

Ratings Received:
    +335
    We had an elite defense prior to Muschamp as well or did you forget that Charlie Strong was our DC for a few years? Also how did he inherit a dumpster fire when the 2010 class was rated #1?
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,451
    This.

Nick Saban's first five years ncluded three 6 win seasons and one 7 win season, before getting a 9 win season, then bolting for LSU.

Les Miles best season was 9 wins in his first four years.

I'd also point out that the SEC has the strongest collection of coaches, and the most dominant run of seasons of any conference in modern CFB history. This is extreme competitin to win a title in.
  19. insuragator

insuragator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    Muschamp is not the answer - sorry.
  20. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,273
    So who do you have in mind?