JUST IN: What Do We Do Now, Gator Nation?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Solari, Nov 14, 2013.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,738
    But Foley has always been demanding of his coaches. In what case has he sat by and watched year after year of mediocre play?

If he believes in Muschamp, perhaps there's a reason. At least for another year. I'm sure both he and Champ recognize the grace period is ending and we'll have play well next year, even if there is a high number of injuries to contend with.
  2. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    I don't know that he would, but I also think that his unfaltering support of WM after this season can give one cause for concern.

Maybe. But there's no evidence of it. If UF loses two of the last three, then it will have its worst record in 30 years, yet JF said he's 1000 percent behind WM. If you don't hold a coach accountable after this year, when do you? If WM wins eight next year and beats Georgia, that's a big improvement over this season. So then he gets '15 because they showed improvement in '14? What if the following year we have another group of seniors departing, so we're down 12 starters again, or another rash of injuries and we lose five? Is than then oaky because there are justifications for it?

If you're willing to use injuries as a reason to overlook this season, what's to say it won't be a reason to overlook the next disaster? And before long, you're a totally and expected-to-be mediocre football program. I want more for UF.

I'm past wanting Muschamp fired, because I know he's not going to be; I'm past wanting Kerwin hired because I know he's not going to be. i just want everyone -- JF, WM, even Machen -- to accept SOME level of responsibility for this mess, and offer a realistic plan to get out of it. Telling us to be more supportive fans isn't it.
  3. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,440
    Great article from a great Gator! Thanks!

Love the story about the players getting together at Florida Field at night, but my mind flashed on an alternative modern-day ending that included GPD getting involved :ninja: :laugh: :joecool:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. capnpen

capnpen Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +229

Agree 100 percent with this and your original post. I understand what Carlos is saying. We've had some nastiness in the fan base where some folks are being just plain mean about Muschamp and his future at UF. There's no good reason for that ever happening. But I've never understood why sitting silently in the midst of misery is being a good fan, and expressing displeasure over the direction of a program is being a bad fan. The blanket term of "negativity" is thrown at us, as though we have no reason to be unhappy about anything. We should just smile and say something pleasant like, "Our punter sure did have a good game today," or "Wasn't the band better than usual?" or "I really like our uniforms this year." Demanding more from our coaches isn't being negative. It's being demanding. And for the money they're making, I would think our fans have a right to that (as do fans of every SEC football program).
  5. DeanMeadGator

DeanMeadGator '63 Gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    Having been a Gator fan for the past 55 years, I have seen the best of times and the worst of times. Football programs, like most everything else in life, rise and fall, ebb and flow.

Coming to the Swamp is always a special experience. It just feels good to be there!

In all kinds of weather ...........................

'63 Gator
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +176
    I am Jeremy Foley and I approved this message.
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,738
    I get the frustration with this team, but there's definitely evidence Muschamp can succeed. Last year is evidence of what he can do with an experienced, talented defense, but little in the way of offensive talent.

Next year we should have an experienced talented defense, plus a LOT more on offense than we had in 2012.

I do agree with you that we need to take responsibilty and have a plan on offense.
  8. FB41ED

FB41ED VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Best message I've read concerning how we need to support our team for the rest of the season! Face reality, complaining here is not going to change anything as regards our program. The decisions, as usual, will be made by the administration and the big money Bull Gators and their decisions always put the University of Florida first which is what we all want, isn't it? Let's show our soon to be recruits that the University of Florida is where they should come. This will only hasten what we all want--to be contenders every year for championships. Thank you Carlos. Go Gators.
  9. medigator

medigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,420
    SHould be required reading for all posters before they are allowed to post again !
  10. mulegator

mulegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    I love Carlos Alvarez. I greatly respect and admire his work ethic, accomplishments, honesty, team spirit and passion.

I certainly agree with Gator Great Carlos Alvarez Vasquez Rodriguez Ubieta ..
    in ALL kinds of weather it's STILL great to be a Florida Gator!
  11. gators8

gators8 Member

Ratings Received:
    +46

I can support this argument.
  12. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +490
    I support the team. The temp coaches we have is another matter. Been quite a few of those since Graves, the first I watched. They have all left at some time, some too early, some way too late.

Yet we still cheer for the present set of players like they are our own kids, which they are.
  13. Saukuf

Saukuf New Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    The AD is one of the best around. Give WM some time and space. Support the home team!!

PS - I was in school at UF during 0-10-1 - wasn't so bad. We had a lot of fun flying drink tops down on the field. Relax folks, it's a game.....
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,133

I certainly can imagine what it's like to live in Tally like he does. :wink:

But as Foley told me in his e-mail to me this morning...

"Will's our guy, Gray".

:roll:
  15. kgator94

kgator94 Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I don't know what we do now, but I know what we won't do....watch Florida in a bowl game.
  16. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +549
    Yeah...but the Gators would probably lose that game, anyway.
  17. Crusher

Crusher Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    Can't do that anymore unless you enjoy being tased by UPD!
  18. Coach1987

Coach1987 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Live in t town also
  19. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Great message from a Great Gator! Thank you Carlos! Maybe this will help a few of the negative posters think twice before they blame everyone from the coaching staff on down for a season that was just not meant to be….
    • Like Like x 1
  20. traubgator

traubgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    Wonder what Carlos Alvarez thinks now.....