Just gettin that kinda feeling...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by EZE2005, Jan 29, 2014.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626
    Exactly to this and all of the above. The NCAA tournament is and has always been a crapshoot. Nothing the entire season can prepare you for playing a single elimination tournament on three consecutive weekends at foreign venues across the country, staying in hotels the better part of the week, doing homework in your hotel room, being away from your regular film rooms, training facilities, etc., and playing against entirely unfamiliar opponents. That is what makes a run like ours in 2006 and 2007 so special and so darn rare. It takes skill, depth, maturity, good draws, and a ton of luck along the way. In 2006, we were fortunate not only to see Brewer's crazy shot go in and get the continuation call against Georgetown (and them miss a wide open jumper for the win after Brewer slipped), but also that we got to face tremendously undersized opponents in Nova and George Mason in key games. In 2007, we would have struggled mightily against that same Georgetown team that lost to Ohio State in the opposite semi or against the Kansas team that beat us earlier in the year and lost to UCLA after barfing the ball all over the court, but we never faced them. The same thing could be said about some of our runs in recent years.

That's why my expectations are always a little more specific, or at least things I can reasonably predict should happen. At this stage, we should win at least a partial league title, if not an outright league title. It would make three in four years, after having a total of two outright league titles in program history prior to it. That to me is a very attainable goal and failing to do that would be something of a disappointment. I would also like to see us advance to the finals of the SECs, if only because a top-two seed would make that much easier, and I would like to see us "beat our seed" in the NCAAs (#1 get to the Final Four, #2 get to the regional final, #3/#4 get to the second weekend, etc.). Those are a little harder to control, though, but I do think they are very realistic goals. Anything else is a bonus for me.
  2. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,894
    I have expectations. I expect this is going to be a great season. But that can mean a lot of things.
  3. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +846
    For all the wet blankets, is it OK to say that my "hopes" became greater for a natty? Because I am hopeful.
    And for the record, I am fully capable of enjoying the moment and hoping for greater things down the road. It's easy given that I am human and capable of abstract thought.
  4. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +640
    I agree that the things we'll probably see early on from Chris Walker are dunks, blocks, and high flying plays in general. What people do seem to forget is that we already have one of, if not the most athletic players in the country already in Casey Prather. I'd argue Hill is up there too, but he has yet to show any real polish.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626
    Of course it is "OK." Just don't bitch about it when unrealistic expectations aren't met.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +846
    But that's what fans do. It's a game. Being passionate about it is fun. Feeling the joy when you win is great and it is so great because we know that losing sucks.
    I'm not saying to come on here and start the whole fire Billy if we lose in the Sweet 16. I'm not that guy. But sometimes the fun police becomes a bit much.
  7. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    I will say this...we are one of if not the best defensive teams out there and that gives us a shot. We had two major flaws for the tourney and one of them just got a boost with Walker and that was depth in the paint (especially with Young in foul trouble). The other is free throw shooting...we shall see if that comes back to bite us but I do like our chances.
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626
    Not saying you are, but I don't think setting realistic expectations makes one the "fun police." In fact, debating those expectations and seeing them met or surpassed may actually be more fun to some of us precisely because we know how hard it is to accomplish even those.
  9. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    The first part shouldn't be a big concern...our starters have been to the tourney enough to get exactly what needs to be done. The last part of the first paragraph..absolutely. With the depth of this tourney it is about seeding and match ups...but I think there are very things we can't adjust too either because of the brilliant coaching Billy has done this year. That press stops any team without great guards. The 2-3 double the post contains most big men(except on rebounds). We can guard one on one with about any team because we are very quick and athletic on the perimeter and have muscle inside. My goals are this team simply does everything it can and win or lose, we walk off the court proud of what we did...and I think if we do that..few can stop us...but some can there is no doubt.
  10. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +965
    Agreed...though we need to defend the arc better too..be a nightmare to have a Creighton like three point crazy team in our bracket if we don't cover up the arc better than we have been(well till Tennessee lol).
  11. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Chris Walker just did a moon shot and didn't even need NASA.
  12. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +846
    I think this may be circular???
  13. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +965
    I'd like some pi.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626
    In what sense (if you aren't joking)? Realistic expectations are those you think could reasonably occur, knowing that even within reason there is the possibility they might not occur. That I think it reasonable for us to win the league title doesn't take way the fun if it does because there are number of things (injuries, misfortune, bad play) that could derail it. Failing to meet those expectations would be disappointing.
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,612
    Everybody loves pi!

16. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,757
    If we don't watch out, we will become UK fans. Enjoy the season and know that the tournament is kind of wily.
  17. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +176
    Elite 8, 4 years in a row would be a rare accomplishment (I think). Seniors would have their legacy.
  18. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,499
    Unless asked, it would be good thing and make for a much better world for the control freaks to stop telling others what they should expect, and what they should do if their expectations aren't met.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626
    Or for some of you to actually contribute to a discussion rather than trolling and commenting on the posting style of others. About the the only time you show up on this board.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Fanatics come in all colors, sizes, shapes and personality types?
    Who knew?