Junk food, junk strike

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by MichiGator2002, Jul 29, 2013.

1. RealDeal

RealDeal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    I may stop by McD on the way home tonight for an apple pie and coffee---hopefully they are not on strike.
  2. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497

meH.

It's not like our economy will come to a grinding halt if a few fast food places don't open for one or two days.

If the market demanded higher wages for that kind of job (read, if people are willing to pay 30 to 40% more for fast food, then maybe there is something there.

And a good percentage of FF workers are HS and college students
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Obviously, the whole economy won't grind to a halt. But I would imagine if you are in charge of a fast food chain, you might not think work disruptions and reduced productivity were all that cool if it affected the bottom line in a substantial way. At some point, the cost/benefit analysis will put paying more to keep a happy & productive work force in place with slightly reduced profits above reduced profits from lost productivity, severe turnover issues, and bad PR.
  4. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +445
    This is not an issue with the industry as much as it is with a work force that has no skills and no motivation or desire to move up. A work force that just wants more with out doing anything on their part. Why should the industry have to change operational procedures for a workforce that is lacking. Especially when there is a LARGE pool of unemployed to pull from.
  5. metalcoater

metalcoater Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I guess we will have the $2 dollar menu.
  6. MichaelJoeWilliamson

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Again, I want to look at the profit margins of the stores. That will give one an idea what an increase of nay kind will have to the store owners, be they individual franchise owners or if the stores are company owned.

"Pretty soon, you run out of other people's money."
  7. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Unless they run out of customers, then they won't be running out of other people's money. They just may realize that to keep other people's money rolling in, they may have to pay a little more for other people's labor. Or not.
  8. MichaelJoeWilliamson

Ratings Received:
    +497
  9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,224
    So let me respond with a question. When Apple's stock and earnings were at or near an all time high, why were they still willing to go in and clean up their China factories? Those people could quit if they chose and more labor was available, at the time Apple's earnings weren't taking a hit. And by the way, HP followed closely behind them in that action....So what compelled them to do so?
  10. Tasselhoff

Ratings Received:
    +445
    That is another topic all together. And apple was taken some bad press for those horrible conditions.
    If people want to make low income jobs their career..m.then they should expect low income careers. They should not expect the company to make the low income job a livable career .
  11. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    Or live a life style that exceeds your income level. I was reading about the strikes yesterday, and they interviewed a single mom with 4 kids. She worked at a fast food joint for 7.25 an hour. I feel bad for her kids, but not her.
  12. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    There is some cognitive dissonance as it pertains to income and spending, but I never take those things at face value. She may have had a husband that made money before or previously had access to more money before. And once you have your kids, your options are limited.
  13. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    Very true, I don't know her situation personally so I regret what I said. But generally speaking, there seem to be a lot of people that put themselves in situations where they are trying to pay for things they can't afford.
  14. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Not to pick on you, but "trying to pay for things you can't afford" can include school, job skills and other things that can move you up. People have argued on this thread they should be "improving their skills" instead of asking for more pay, seemingly forgetting that costs money (and time), of which there is little left over if you can barely make rent, groceries, etc by working full-time.
  15. Tasselhoff

Ratings Received:
    +445
    No one said it would be easy. And in that income bracket there are plenty of grants and loans avaimiable for schooling.
    40 hrs a week plus night school or online classes is something many many have done. It is nothing new.
  16. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    Very true, but I figured everyone knew what I meant by "paying for things they can't afford" ; Tangible goods, not stuff investing in yourself.
  17. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    "Plenty" of grants is a stretch, epecially all-expense type grants. But the point is, borrowing money or going into debt to pay for education, job skills etc. is technically "living a lifestyle" you can't afford.
  18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,224
    The two are very similar. While what was happening in their factories was clearly worse, companies facing a large scale issue like this have three choices - Stand their ground, change for moral reasons, or change because the negative press and work disruptions outweigh the benefit of the lower salary.
    Last month McDonalds put out a video for their employees on how to live on their salary and they got mocked nationally, both by comedians and journalists. They have had plenty of bad press, as part of my job I have news articles related to the economy from all major outlets and even late night jokes sent to me every day, they took a lot of heat. It isn't a coincidence that they planned this strike now when this is still in the media's consciousness. They know that to win they need more stories written and Now is their best shot.
    To use an example closer to home, Walmart beefed up its health benefits several years ago after facing public pressure and they could probably find new employees in 10 minutes. Its not unprecedented. The workers think if they can get enough press, similar to Walmart or apple they will win and they are probably right. Question is whether the public cares enough to raise the noise to a level where it truly puts the fast food joints on the defensive. Time will tell.
  19. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    One of the reasons the age of fast food workers is going up is due to a dearth of better paying jobs to move into. Going to school does not guarantee you can land a better job. It improves your chances but the market is tight in a lot of areas and without experience those who come out of college are often passed up.