Junk food, junk strike

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by MichiGator2002, Jul 29, 2013.

1. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,605
    I guess this is what those "worker centers" that are intentional circumvention of labor laws have been working toward --

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/29/fast-food-workers-plan-one-day-strike-for-monday/

Very simple guys -- the attendance policy stands, and anyone that misses a shift Monday without a doctor's note is fired. Anybody, note or no note, who is photographed having appeared at one of these demonstrations instead of their scheduled shift, is fired.

Just what profit margin do these mow-rons think a franchise restaurant runs on that it can stay open if it increases its payroll by >100%?
  2. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,118
    Can you really strike for labor as unskilled as a fast food employee? Talk about replaceable....
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Of course you can ... a strike is a calculated move that requires mass to have impact at low levels. You can replace a few here and there in - ahem - short order, but losing a bunch of employees at once is fairly devastating.

That said, when you're at the bottom rung, you should probably spend more energy on moving up a spot than striking.
  4. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +492
    I dont think in todays market it will be hard to replace them. There are 10 Million illegal aliens just waiting for their job
  5. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    If y'all want everyone paying income taxes it might help if everyone actually made some money, even if your Big Mac costs 15 cents more. I don't get the animus directed at those who work the menial jobs which most of us benefit from being filled by somebody, or resent those trying to make more at it.
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,168
    Of course. In fact, non-union workers are far more flexible on when and how to strike. But the prospect of success is always based on a) being able to shut down production, and b) being able to block/impede replacement workers, assuming they are readily available. I think the idea here isnt a long term strike, just a disruption of production for a short period of time in order to gain some (really, any) leverage WRT pay, hours and working conditions. Many fast food workers get part-time hours but are expected to be available for a full-time schedule, which impedes their ability to hold down a second job, which is usually required with FF wages.
  7. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +1,118
    I don't have animosity towards anyone, nor do I resent them for trying to make more at it. I mean, who wouldn't want to get paid more? But the cost of a Big Mac going up 15 cents, isn't in a vacuum. That's 15 cents less, multiplied by every Big Mac sold daily, that won't be spent somewhere else. Or perhaps it's not spent on a Big Mac at all, but on a Whopper that is now 15 cents less down the street.

The market determines the price of goods and labor, and fast food burgers are quite an elastic good; as are fast food employees quite replaceable. Sorry if that bothers you.
  8. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +3,605
    Are you one of this desolates who actually labor under the naive delusions that a franchise restaurant can more than double its labor costs and stay open?
  9. dynogator

dynogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +289
    Doubling the pay is a lot. Might have been more effective to ask for a more moderate increase, say $10. I couldn't find McDonald's profit figure, but total revenue was 26 billion dollars, so I would think they could afford an increase.
  10. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +1,118
    I understand they CAN strike, I just think the prospects of success are close to nil. It's a non-unionized, low-skill, easily replaceable job field. And based on the cities the strikes are happening in, there are lots of unemployed that may want those jobs.
  11. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +1,118
    Probably just a starting point for bargaining. I really really hope they don't actually expect double wages.
  12. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,168
    I think their prospects for gains are actually better than a NLRA-type union strike. Though, I doubt this will get them anything like $15/hr. They can coordinate with other FF workers across the city, and can be far more unpredictable tactically. If you are union, the NLRA outlaws solidarity strikes, and other cooperative actions, makes striking more formal and isolated.
  13. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,168
    Well, your initial bargaining position always starts off higher right?
  14. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +1,118
    True, but I'd imagine it will be a lot less organized than a union strike. I'll be curious to see how it plays out, that's for sure.
  15. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +3,605
    Finishing position for bargaining should be get back to work or you're fired.

We need a call to our small business owners and managers to do the work of deprogramming the summer breaking or after school high school and college age employees who show up under the illusion that the company exists to have available jobs and that the first penny earned on the first widget sold is profit that they should have more of.
  16. dynogator

dynogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +289
    True, but unrealistically higher seems counterproductive. I guess I just don't know how the game is played.
  17. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +1,118
    Apparently one of the goals of the strike is to allow unionization. Are there unions in any other unskilled labor field? I'm drawing a blank.
  18. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,168
    $15 isnt all that "unrealistic," especially in a big city. The average worker is already at $9-10/hr already. The national minimum wage in Australia is $15/hr, and the country seems to be doing ok, despite paying a bit more for hamburgers and other things. The US loves its cheap labor though, so its no wonder $15/hr is widely perceived as some sort of unrealistic fantasy.
  19. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +3,605
    The last thing our economy needs is new unionized fast food, retail, and casual dining. In fact, it would probably be the last thing for our economy, period.
  20. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +3,605
    It is an unrealistic fantasy at a franchise restaurant. You have no idea whatsoever what the costs and margins are in that sort of business, do you?