Juice Cleanse

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by kkg8r, Jan 8, 2013.

1. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    So, I'm on Day 1 of the BluePrintCleanse 3 Day juice cleanse. I'm a little bored at work and want to keep my mind off of chewing, so I thought I'd check to see if anyone has tried it.

This isn't about weight loss (although if that happens, great) as the juices come in to about 1100 calories a day. I generally stay below 1200 so there isn't much of a drop in calories for me. I just wanted to see what happens. Will I feel better? Will my cravings decrease? Mostly, just want to see if I can mentally do it.

I am 3 juices into my 6 per day. Next up is a water/lemon thing that's supposed to be less of a meal and more of an alkalizing something or other (not a fanatic, Dream. Hold on to your posts calling me crazy :) )

Next up is a Green juice with Kale apple, ginger, etc. It will be my third Green (I had Pineapple, Apple, Mint earlier), and then a Cashew Milk concoction which is about 300 calories.

I just felt my first stomach growl. Guess I'll grab #4.

Fire away Dream!
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +822
    You really are being naughty today. Sorry, not touching this one. :laugh:
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    FYI: I've worked with clients who were already pesrnickety about diet composition, but wanted to lose weight. For these kinds of people, I really don't argue with them and try to get them to loosen up. I just help them lose weight. It's gratifying enough to wean them off the notion that it's something in the food, other than calories, which keeps them from losing weight.
  4. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    It's the juice. It has infected my MIND! :)
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    Damn! Even the chicks are juicing now.
  6. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +354
    This is meant to be a joke but its so true its scary.
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +354
    kk, what made you you want to try this? You know cleanses are are only good at cleaning out your wallet, right?
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    I'm waiting to hear too. Yoga + juicing is going to get her jacked!
  9. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    Honestly? Several reasons.

1. I wanted to see if I could do it. I'm an emotional, impulse eater. I struggle every day to make good eating choices when there's always free food in the office, or when I travel. This is extreme, yes. But if I can do this, I can stay away from the ubiquitous dessert trays that litter our office.

2. It's not a crazy master cleanse, so I feel comfortable with what I'm doing. The juice is obviously good for you. And hell, I didn't have to cook for 3 days for both me and my husband + no dishes to clean! That's worth the $$ right there :) This is probably net-net when it comes to $$ as well when you add up cost of food, no Starbucks, no happy hour scotches. ;)

3. I wanted to see what it would do to my body. It's like a mini experiment for me. I'm curious. I don't see this as any different than taking on a new exercise plan to see if you will get results.

4. It's a 7-9 day commitment. I don't have to think. I don't have to cook I don't have to do anything but drink juice. The only thing that sucks is missing my coffee.

Lastly, I love a good challenge.

PS. It's going well. I feel great. Small hunger yesterday, but that was about the same time as I always need my afternoon snack. Was completely full after the nut drink last night. Watched Downton Abbey. Slept well, but dreamed of cheeseburgers. Woke up an hour early than normal, so I'm trolling the site :)
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +354
    Well I hope it goes well for ya but you lost me at no coffee. I can already imagine the headaches.
  11. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    Last day. I took my blood pressure several times and I no longer have hypertension - this was a new diagnosis in 2012. I chalked it up to stressful job. Seems like it's not stress. So now I guess I need to figure out if it's sodium related or caffeine. I hope it's sodium.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    That's great, kk. I can certainly see where less exposure to caffeine would bring down BP. I don't believe there is any evidence that caffeine raises BP permanently, but it certainly can have a transient effect.

Another possibility: I can see the body simply being temporarily relieved of a task of digestion bringing some relief.

BTW, there are a relative handful of physicians who are prescribing fasting for hypertension. Now, I still do not subscribe to the notion that the reason fasting is so wonderful is because it 'detoxes' the body. I think it's more boring than that. Ex: when hypertensive people go on lengthy fasts we see two things: (1) BP goes down and (2) they lose a significant amount of weight.
  13. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    I have definitely dropped "pounds" while on the fast, I am at the exact weight I was when I was tested in September. I just can't see this being weight related as I am not far out of the norm of my average.

The smart thing to do would be to resume eating, but only eat veggies and fruits and other no sodium foods. Test. Then introduce sodium. Test. Then caffeine. Test.

That's the smart thing to do, but not what I'm going to do. I miss my caffeine. I miss food.

I'll go back to my routine and see what happens. If BP goes up again, I will try the no sodium route and see what happens. Then I'll try the no caffeine route (and pray). If it's still high, then it must be the fasting. I'll tackle that if it gets that far.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    Sounds like real science to me. FWIW, I'll pray for you when eliminate caffeine. :wink:

Also, if you've dropped 'pounds' on a three-day cleanse, that's almost all fluid. Now THAT could, in itself, impact BP. Just another possibility.
  15. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    FWIW, skinny and active as I am, I'm on blood-pressure meds. My sister has spared me some worry and legwork on this though. She's 5-2 105, does yoga, eats fastidiously, has tried every nutritional approach (including reduced caffeine and sodium) under the sun, runs marathons (she's running the Boston Marathon this year) ... and she's on TWO blood pressure meds.
  16. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    I hear you - that's why I used quotes around the word "pounds."

HBP is generally genetic, but I have no family history so that's a bit perplexing. Maybe I'm adopted. I do have green eyes... :)

I am currently sporting a non-caffeine headache. Weird how it popped up 4 days later... I guess that's the shelf life.
  17. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    Green eyes ? I could have guessed. :wink:
  18. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +720
    What kind of juice?? :joecool:
  19. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    kk, how did the caffeine experiment turn out ?

kk ? KK ?! :wink:
  20. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    Haven't started it. Been in SanFran since Saturday. Just got back. I'll check my BP tomorrow morning and decide what to do from there. Really hoping its still low. Fingers crossed!!