Judges cite pressure to approve disability payments as program nears insolvency

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by diehardgator1, Jun 28, 2013.

1. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +492
    Another government program under the obama leadership going down the drain. It is eat up with fraud mismanagement and pressure for the applications to be approved. At the current rate the program will be insolvent by 2016. That means more taxes for the working to support a lot of people able to work but have been approved for disability. Once on there they are hard to get off and you pay them for life.

1 in 17 Americans now collect the checks

"Judges testified Thursday that they were pressured to approve Social Security disability payments, amid warnings that the explosion in the number of Americans receiving those payments means the program may become insolvent by 2016.

According to testimony before a House panel on Thursday, recipients may be looking at checks that are 20 percent smaller by then unless changes are made.

Several officials tried to explain the scope and origin of the costly surge that is leading yet another federal benefit program to insolvency.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ts-as-program-nears-insolvency/#ixzz2XWTApnEa
  2. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +922
    That is what Obama wants - People dependent on the government.
  3. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,101
    This is what gives people like me a bad name. I have a myriad of issues that qualify me for disability. I am still trying to work, but make way under the threshold for disability - I'm only pulling in about 20% now of what I made before (which dropped from one of my prior postings). My doc said she'd sign the papers because I obviously qualified, then she changed her mind because she said I was married and he could just support me (he just has a regular job - he's no Fortune 500 exec!). Excuse me??? I've worked since I was 16 and all of a sudden I don't count? (we're talking the general disability not the disability insurance/Medicaid) She said the system is too bloated and that even though I qualify, she didn't feel she could do it for someone so young.

Ugh!!!!!!!!
  4. jmoliver

jmoliver Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    HAsnt this been debated on this board before? The number of applicants as a percentage of the population is relatively flat? Doesn't mean it doesnt have to be looked at.
  5. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    fraud, in "disability" programs??? surely, you can't be serious.
  6. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,069
    I run into people almost daily that are on disability that have no business being on it. Ice, you qualify, maybe you need to go to a doctor that is signing for everyone else to get yours through.
  7. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,101
    Not worth it. She's finally one of the ones that has managed to get my seizures under some semblance of control (2 or so a week now, vs a couple a day), and is willing to coordinate with the doctor who handles my lupus. She's also monitoring my brain tumor.

It sucks, but after spending so much time to find a doctor that can help I can't just change.