Journo Prof: "Very few people of faith" in TV News

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by JerseyGator01, Jun 30, 2013.

1. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +469
    Discrimination by any other name. See it all time in Jersey in various fields dominated by liberals.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-s...sing-often-tv-newsrooms-there-are-plenty-gays

From the link:

On CNN's Reliable Sources Sunday, journalism professor Steve Roberts actually said, "What's missing often in TV newsrooms: there are plenty of gays, there are very few people of faith and very few evangelical Christians who in their own beliefs would be against gay marriage. And this has always bothered me" (video follows with transcript and commentary):

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-s...sing-often-tv-newsrooms-there-are-plenty-gays
  2. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Well, we will never see this professor again with the exception of perhaps on Fox news. When one reports the truth about MSM, you lose your platform. This guy is now banished.
  3. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    actually there are plenty of people of faith in the media. The just might not be ultra religious.

The word 'faith' has a number of meanings.

among the many definitions are the following

one definition has 'faith' being synonymous with 'religion'

another definition of 'faith' is in regard to the spiritual principle of 'faith' which can be in a person whether or not that person is religious or not

try not to assume that all people of a religion are practicing the spiritual principle of 'faith'

The journalism prof himself made the mistake of limiting the concept of 'faith' to Christians. So he himself is guilty of discrimination.

In any case, I agree with the premise that there should be more verbal expression of point of view from various religions during news coverage...Christian, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, etc as well as people who are atheist, agnostic, deist.

or are you interested in only presenting Christian point of view and attempt to turn MSM into a Christian tool to cram your religion down peoples' throats. There are already many Christian shows as well as channels. If people want what Christianity has to offer the person has the means to tune in. Perhaps if the behavior of more Christians was more attractive to people the job of getting people wouldn't be so difficult.
  4. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,567
    I think he wold have a better understanding of it than you old
  5. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    maybe, maybe not.

I've studied religions. My closest friend for years was a priest who I periodically counseled on grief(the priests wife had had 2 subdural hematomas leaving her a quad unable to speak. She lived for years and my friend was in a prolonged grief)

I search for God in many religions. The moments I experience on a conscious level the loving hand of God was when I was in kidney failure very close to death. I was in extreme pain from wounds to legs and back. In a moment for some reason I felt the pain leave me(I had not been medicated for pain for a number of hours). And had memories flood at me of people from the past and imaginings of people in the future. And was at peace. I laid in the hospital bed and then climbed out of bed and went to my knees in a position of prayer. I did not say anything or want anything. My only thought was of thanks. It was after that that I no longer searched for God. Since that time I've felt comfortable and welcomed in a wide variety of houses of worship of many religions.

My experience pretty much is described in the following. And I believe people experience the following in religions as well as without religions. I believe it is the hand of God not the hand of religion.

[​IMG]
  6. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +486
    Maybe allow the majority religion to show itself as the majority for a change. The millions sharing half with the ten that go to the church of what's happening now, isn't exactly what is meant when you don't see faith on tv.
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,375
    How on earth would this guy know?
  8. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    "Maybe allow the majority religion to show itself as the majority for a change."

are you of the opinion that the majority religion is the divine authority because of quantity of members?
  9. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +486
    Nope, but I do believe the majority should be able to see their own kind represented as the majority.

Any time you see a Christian person on tv, you know the guy will be represented as a nut job who is about to commit a crime due to that religion.
  10. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +999
    Hard news = Fact
    Faith = Belief

I'm not sure why we would have or want people of faith "in TV news"
  11. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    "Nope, but I do believe the majority should be able to see their own kind represented as the majority."

That seems to be a bit of an ego trip or attempt to bully other religions.

I don't believe that is really needed. If the conduct of people of a religion is respectable, wise, spiritual, etc---their point of view will attract people....regardless of whether or not it is the majority religion or not...It is the message of a religion not their numbers, how loud they are, etc that matters. And that message tends to reach others best when words match deeds.
  12. Rolo

Rolo New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I'm with Bill on this one. There is zero question that people who say they are deeply Christian always understand all things spiritual better than anyone who does not profess their deep Christianity.
  13. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    Gatorbill---even if the prof of journalism knows the meanings of the word 'faith' it doesn't necessarily mean that he would use it the word in an unbiased manner.The gist of his comments appear that he is pro religion and wants to press things to get religions more air time. Why would he use the word 'faith' in regards to other religions or people who have faith without religion?
  14. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +372

The game being played to discredit people of faith is to always focus and ridicule the lowest common denominator as the representative of the whole.

Belief and facts are not necessarily mutually exclusive

and let's not pretend for a second that these "people of fact" that you talk about don't adhere to their own belief system that influences their perception of reality.
  15. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    if you were to express any beliefs about "faith" in the media, you wouldn't keep your job long--that's not in their model.
  16. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,375
    Well it's also sort of antithetical to the idea of "news," but let's not split hairs.
  17. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,369
    diversity of opinion and background is a good thing in a newsroom
  18. madgator

Ratings Received:
    +372

Like I said.....everyone has their beliefs which effects their perception.

Whether it be religion or environmentalism or collectivism or libertarianism or whatever

the notion of true objectivism is a joke......and the media proves that everyday
  19. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,375
    It's an ideal, a goal. To abandon it because one cannot be "truly objective" is pretty stupid.
  20. madgator

Ratings Received:
    +372
    Unfortunately, objectivism is not a goal of todays media in america.