Josh Smith goes for the money...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ArtVandelay, Jul 7, 2013.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    I think he is one of the most over-rated players in the NBA. He obviously just wanted the money and didn't care about winning. He could have gotten a decent contract with a good team with a chance to win. He puts up good numbers, but never really helps a team win.
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,075
    Smith has always been sort of a mystery to me. Unbelievably athletic and skilled, and when he plays with energy is as good a frontcourt defender as you will find in the NBA, but never had that competitive streak to maximize it.

Not sure I can blame him for this decision. The Hawks weren't offering him much and, had they, it isn't like they were going to be a competitive team anyway. They also weren't open to a sign and trade with the Rockets and Houston didn't have any money to sign him outright. This was his best shot at a payday and he took it. He can still be a good role player for a contender on his next deal.
  3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +156
    Josh Smith is a loser plain and simple. His basketball IQ is poor, his effort is inconsistent and his will to win is nonexistent. I'm so glad he's not on the Hawks anymore. The Pistons will regret signing him.
  4. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +415
    I agree. His numbers are good, but his talent should really help a team more than he does.

The money would have been there from someone and he could have taken a little less and been on a good team like Iguodala did. He could have taken the money from the Kings, but took less to be on the Warriors to try to win.
  5. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,318
    I don't blame smith at all but I just don't get this move at all from detroits standpoint. Smith isn't a 3, he's just not, so where are you going to play him? They already have 2 very promising big men in Monroe and Drummond that need minutes and smith isn't the best influence for young players (especially when one on the knocks on Drummond coming out of school was playing hard all the time). They finally got out of the last salary cap bind dumars put them in when he inexplicably and wildly overpaid for villanueva and gordon and now he goes out and does it again. At best this lets them compete for the 8th seed and the right to be swept by miami when the upcomming draft and free agent class are ridiculously stacked.

I know he's a hometown hero but that was a long time ago as was that championship, Dumars better start updating his resume.
  6. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +831
    I was a Hawks season ticket holder for a year and Smith has to be the most frustrating player I've watched in recent years. So much athleticism, so much potential, but so damn lazy. He is a match up nightmare, too quick for most 4's, too strong for most 3's, but he makes it so easy by settling for 3 pointers and not being active. Huge waste of money, at this point of his career there is no more "potential". He is what he is.
  7. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +859
    If you are JOsh Smith you absolutely go for the money. When you get to be an older NBA player a la Ray Allen you certainly have enough money to say "I'll take less to go for a ship". When you are Josh Smith's age you take all the money you can because you coud get injured tomorrow.
  8. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,318
    That and then you can just force a trade in years anyhow
  9. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,152
    Good point.
  10. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    Overpaid chucker. He needs to stop taking so many terrible jumpers.
  11. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +415
    I agree in part. He could have gotten a lot of money elsewhere though.

Are you saying that Iguodala should have taken more money from the Kings instead of GS?
  12. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,123

There's nothing absolute about it. Not everyone makes every decision based on padding the bottom line.

If I am Josh Smith, I try to get myself into position to compete for championships; and I firmly believe I could eke out some kind of spartan existence living on $50 million instead of $100 million :joecool:
  13. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +415
    If it was 100 million instead of 50 million I would understand.

We are talking about him getting 56 million instead of maybe 48 million. For that difference, I would think a Championship contender would be a better choice.
  14. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +137
    that is still 8 Million dollars, which is guaranteed vs a possible championship.
  15. gatordd

gatordd Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    he is worthless on offense for the most part
  16. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +859
    This! 8 million may be a relatively small amount when you are making ~50 mil but it is still 8 million and I can assure you someone living like they make 50 million will want to continue to do that when they retire. Josh Smith may or may not get another good contract depending on if he gets injured and so that extra 8 million may have to last his whole life. It is a smart business move to take as much as you can in your early NBA contracts.
  17. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +415
    It's easy for me to sit here and say its only 8 million, but there are many other factors other than just the actual salary.

- signing with a team that has no state income tax
    - endorsements (do you know what % of earnings are salary for many NBA players?) It's not as much as you might think.

I think he would have been better served signing with a contender. I think it tells you a lot about him.
  18. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,123
    Again, that's not everyone. Not everyone who makes $50 million (or even $5 billion) lives like they are trying to spend it all before they're 50. Some very rich people live far, FAR within their means and even frugally in some cases.

Yes, most of your mega-successful, but ridiculously shallow, show people (who ironically tend to emote with the best of them about the plight of the poor and mean old profit-grabbing CEO's and corporations while furiously spending their own vast fortunes) and athletes spend their money like it's burning their pockets. But, not all.

And, believe me, I'm as big of a champion as you'll find of the glory of capitalism and the right of people to make as much money as they legally can and spend it as they wish. But, it sure doesn't mean I respect those people who make all their decisions based on padding their bottom line as much as I respect those who give as much, or more, weight to other factors in their decision making.

But, you're right - if Josh Smith is spending it as fast as he can make it, he probably should go for max contract over any other consideration.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. co_gator89

co_gator89 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,235
    If all you ever saw of Josh Smith was whatever they put on SportsCenter then you probably think he's a pretty good player. But like someone else said earlier, the guy is just vastly overrated.