Josh Evans says team wasn't into playing at the Sugar Bowl.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by geauxgator1, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +755
    Some good ideas and points. If I were commish I would change all bowls outside of the playoffs to exhibitions- like they used to be in the old days. Make them rewards for a great season and let teams play their 2nd-3rd string, non-starting seniors, walk-ons, etc.

There is no other sport on the planet with 4-6 weeks between competitions. It is impossible to stay motivated and treat these games like regular season games. So let's drop the pretense and label them the exhibitions that they are.
  2. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +448
    That would hurt revenue too much.
  3. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    Why did lville have a different "attitude" than uf?
  4. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,096
    Because the opportunity to "knock off FLORIDA" is a much bigger deal given Louisville's history than the opportunity to "knock off Louisville" is given FLORIDA's history.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,914
    Exactly, that was probably the best bowl Louisville ever had and ever will get. For UF, it was just another meaningless bowl when the BCSCG was within our grasp (if only USC beat Notre Dame).
  6. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,054
    Please...

Seriously, some of you would rather go to the dentist's office for a root canal without anesthesia than admit the other team was better, even for only that game...

An honest question:

Tell me, when was the lat time Florida lost a game to an OOC team or historical rival because we either didn't want to be there, gave it away, or was our coach's fault?

1995 Nebraska?
  7. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,914
    Thats not hard to say, Louisville was better that day.

Happy?

They weren't more talented, they aren't a better team.. They wanted it more and they were the better team that day.

With that said, even with all you claiming Louisville is a world beater, even after we played one of our worst games... We STILL had a chance to beat them if it weren't for that last INT Jeff threw.

So please spare me with the talk about Louisville being this great team that needs all this respect. Hey, sounds like the same thing you said about Miami.
  8. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    This is generally why I watch less and less Bowl Games every year.
    - The games occur 30-45 days after the end of the season.
    - All too often, one team is jacked about being there and the other one could give a hoot.
    - The only game that really matters is the BCS Champ Game.
    - The match-ups often suck.
    - so on and so forth
  9. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,096
    Wait a minute, I have no problem saying that Louisville was better that day. I still wouldn't trade their season for ours simply because their ended up with a Sugar Bowl victory.

Identifying a lack of motivation is not the same thing as failing to acknowledge that the other team did what they needed to do to win the game.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  10. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,054
    You are exaggerating, as ever. I didn;t say that Louisville or Miami were "world beaters."

You say "one of our WORST games? You mean worse than:

Mizzou? 276 gained, 335 allowed, yet won 14-7. Gee, didja know that Mizzou had FOUR interceptions? Why, I bet all the Mizzou fans said that Florida didn't win the game. Mizzou simply gave it AWAY!! ROTFL!

La-Lafayette? 311 gained, 267 allowed against a mid-major, yet won 27-20. Gee, I guess Rajin Cajun fans said that THEY gave the game away because of that dcritical fumble! I suppose we didn't really want to win that one, either.

FSU? 399 gained, 311 allowed, but FSU had FIVE turnovers, with three TDs occurring with drives inside the FSU 37 yard line. I guess the Noles gave that game away as well?

Louisville outgained Florida by 50 yards. They had an 11 minute edge in TOP. Are you saying that the Gators gave the game away?!? and that was hardly Louisville's best game. They gained fewer yards in only one other game that year, and had three games where they allowed fewer yards.

Honestly, do I think Florida is more talented than Louisville and Miami? Yes, I do. The recruiting rankings tell us that. Then again, over the past decade, Florida State, Clemson and Miami had far more talent than Virginia Tech, and since 2004, VT has more ACC titles than FSU, Clemson and Miami combined.

Better program? Sure! Just look at Florida's program over the past decade and compare to Louisville and Miami. No question about that.

On PAPER, Florida is a better program with superior talent. But that is why we play teh games, and as long as we line up against another team, that team deserves respect. We are not so Gawd Almighty to sneer at opponents, and when we lose, rather than be classy and acknowledge that the other team was better, even if for that day, we make excuses and throw coaches and players under the bus.

Lame and weak...
  11. rtgator

rtgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +870
    Using a basketball analogy, Louisville played the game like it was a Final 4 game. We played the game like it was an NIT game.
  12. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,096
    My gripe isn't with Louisville. Heck, I was happy for them (after all, it was just an exhibition game). My gripe is with the bowl system and the unnatural desire to try to convince fans that wins and losses in meaningless games are important. I don't sneer at Louisville. I sneer at the Sugar Bowl committee.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  13. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,054
    True, Wes, but too many people take it as gospel that if Florida loses a game, it is either because (a) they didn't want to be there; (b) they gave the game away; (c) the coaches are incompetent and need to be fired; (d) the players suck and need to be benched, and/or (e) the officials and/or weather screwed us, because they hate the Gators.

No one will answer my honest question, which is: "When was the last OOC team or historical rival that best us because they were the better team? You've been here a long time, and can doubtless recite the excuses by memory.
  14. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,914
    Oh boy Wormwood the broken record... Respect this and that team. Their D is so great. This team is great. blah blah blah blah blah

Slobbing all over our rivals all the time. slurp slurp
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,054
    Of this, we both agree. As for bowl games being nothing more than exhibitions, they still count in the final W/L records and final rankings, and fans do not often forgive bowl losses, that is, unless the coach is SOS...
  16. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Winner! Sums up my complaints about the bowl system.
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,054
    Normally, I would never do this, but I'll probably have to put you on ignore. You are putting words into my mouth, i.e., lying. I never said the other teams were great, or that their defense was great. What I did say whas that the other teams were probably better than you Kool-Aid drinkers want to admit. I said that Louisville was a damned good team who had a great year, and that it is too early to know whether Miami was mediocre or a very good team. Many pundits consider them to be a good team this year.

But if you want to demean and insult me for respecting other teams, so be it. When we lose, I won't be the one hysterically whing about not wanting to be there, giving the game away, demanding Mushamp's or Pease's firing, or insist that Driskel sucks and needs to be benched.

I'll leave that childish attitude for you and other like-minded Kool-Aid drinkers...
  18. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,914
    Oh no, ignore? Thats rich coming from someone calling another person childish.

Ignore? lmao
  19. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,054
    Normally I think it is childish to ignore posters, but you do nothing but insult and lie. No value added.
  20. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,982
    On historical rivals, Georgia last season was a better team than the Gators. I know how many times we turned the ball over. They played a sloppy game, too, and turned it over a number of times. Their game was less sloppy than ours. I think if both teams played their peak games last year Georgia would have won. No, I don't enjoy saying that. For what it's worth, which is very little, the crims were the better team in 2010 and 2011. I think we all know how awful Florida was during those years, though.

On OOC games (not including the crims already mentioned), Michigan was a better team than Florida in the 2008 bowl game. Again, it's painful to admit, but with both teams playing their best football, I think Michigan wins more often than not. Our offense was great; theirs was just good. Their defense was good; ours was garbage (with much potential) that season.

Is that an honest enough answer?