Josh Evans says team wasn't into playing at the Sugar Bowl.

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by geauxgator1, Jun 21, 2013.

1. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +468
    What would have happened in that game if they wouldn't have returned that first interception for a touchdown? Anyone think we would have won the game?
  2. cudigator

cudigator Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    On to Toledo..
    • Like Like x 1
  3. brimley

brimley Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    I received "crap" when I posted the Lville pairing for a BCS game was unfair to UF. I still stand by it, and unfortunately the way the game went showed the players agreed with me! I don't care who is the coach...when you have UF go 11-1 against the best competition in football and their reward is a slightly watched game against a lesser Big East program, Lville?...there is no way to "pump them up"! Do you really think the staff went all who cares on the game? These players are still somewhat "kids".

Even though they were upset to not be playing for all the marbles...I 100% think if they had been matched up against Oregon, hell Kansas St a/t/t...we would have seen a MUCH different Gator team.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Who knows..I can understand your feeling the way you do, but, maybe we just came up against a team that matched up very well against us, and we had no answer. I don't buy that we were a much better team than they. It looked just the opposite to me. Maybe our charmed existence just ran it's course for the year.
  5. rtgator

rtgator VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +470
    My wife and I attended the Sugar Bowl and saw the drubbing up close and personal (2nd row seats). Needless to say, it was quite disappointing.

After the game, I had three thoughts.

1. Louisville and Bridgewater were much better than we thought.

2. The first play of the game (i.e Louisville interception for a TD) set the tone for the game, with Louisville as the aggressor.

3. To use a basketball analogy. Louisville played like it was a Final Four game, while the Gators played like it was an NIT game.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +236
    No, it would not be a 134 point swing. Although we were the closest 2nd place in a long time, Stanford still beat us handily.
  7. ncg8or

ncg8or Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    We had several guys that appeared more interested in drawing attention to themselves after making a play on defense than anything to do with the team, the showboating was pretty embarassing...especially since we were getting pummelled.
  8. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,821
    Why are you posting this stuff on two different names?
  9. keypox

keypox Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +119
    fu I mean uf Josh Evans
  10. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    Bowl games are only useful if there is a title on the line. Otherwise it's just a mixed bag of motivation and personal agendas. That is a fact. Florida was playing to get out of New Orleans w/o injury. Marquee guys not wanting to screw up draft status. Louisville was playing for respect.

Ultimately it's water under the bridge. What's past is past.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  11. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,366
    how come we didn't always have that attitude with bowl games?
  12. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    I'm not sure what you're referring to but I remember a number of lackluster performances under SOS and '05/'07 under Meyer.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  13. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +825
    (1) the expansion of the bowls. It used to be something special to make it to a bowl game, now there are 34 bowl games and 1 playoff game (even the powers that be are smart enough to shed the inferior "bowl" label from it). There is actually a tie-in for the Conference USA's #7 team.

(2) All the benefits are distributed before hand, and they are all equal for both sides; there's virtually no stake in the game. Not that there used to be stake in the game, but there weren't nearly as many benefits distributed before hand either. Making it to the better bowl game is the big deal. Winning it is no more important than whether the offense or defense does better in the ORANGE & BLUE game.

(3) Ever since we've had a playoff, the focus has always been on that game as a premium compared to the other games. The "BCS" distinction is artificial and hollow to most fans, consider how many times fans have voiced an interest to play a more meaningful opponent in a lesser game. Matchups are what drive the interest for those who are still able to find significant interest in the bowls.

(4) Having non-SEC Champion SEC teams make the Sugar Bowl takes a lot of air out of the thrill of making it to the Sugar Bowl. When FLORIDA played Notre Dame, West Virginia, SWAC (x2), and Miami, those were all a big deal if not for any other reason than FLORIDA earned the Sugar Bowl due to winning the SEC. It seems a bit cheap to qualify for the Sugar Bowl as a non-champion (for an SEC team at least). Great for revenue (in theory), but it's not what it used to be.

There are many ways to fix the problem and still keep the bowls interesting. Make the benefit split 60/40 instead of 50/50 (including the gifts the players receive). Play the bowls the first week of the next season and make the games count towards the following year. Either one of those changes would have a significant impact. Both would make the bowl games huge.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  14. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    Judging from last Saturday, they have very poor memories.

We don't have enough talent to beat a reasonable team with a few good players who wants it more than we do. Football is an emotional game and we play like ho-hum. That won't cut it.

Remember in b-ball, "P-H-D"? Poor, hungry, desperate. We seem to believe in rich, stuffed and overconfident.
  15. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Jeff Driskel clearly wasn't into playing against scUM last week. He was worried about getting out of Miami Gardens healthy and not screwing up his draft status.
  16. sleeze

sleeze Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +54
  17. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,528
    Yep.

[​IMG]
  18. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +826
    Regarding F$U, true until we pop their little hope balloon again!
  19. Brandished

Brandished New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Bowl games are not viewed as exhibition games and I don't agree that guys play thru them actively avoiding injury instead of trying to win. Thats loser talk, excuse making. This was a BCS game against a talented team with a great qb. A great qb is a difference maker. Louisville had that and UF didn't. The second ul was able to handle UFs d line the game was in doubt. This didn't look like a game that UF gave away. Unlike the Miami game, UF wasn't particularly sloppy. Ul took that game and they looked competent doing it. UF was a blocked kick away from losing to ulm. I think the luck just ran out.
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    (he threw for the most yards in his career but otherwise great joke!)