Josh Evans says team wasn't into playing at the Sugar Bowl.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by geauxgator1, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +659
    Again- I said it half-jokingly. I completely understand we can't turn down a bowl bid- esp a Sugar Bowl bid. It would make ESPN and the whole college football money machine explode because it contradicts all the prevailing wisdom that bowls are an unequivocal good thing for the participating teams.

But I am trying to understand what we gained by earning a coveted Sugar Bowl bid.
  2. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,131

I don't think you'll actually find many knowledgable fans who would agree the practices don't mean much.

Besides that, whether the players realize it or not, winning a Sugar Bowl is still a great opportunity - particularly when you have a chance to end up as highly ranked as we could have been last season. And, you never know in advance that your team isn't going to "show up." I don't think there's any way to predict it, but sometimes teams do stay together for bowl games even for an opponent that's not exciting and that they supposedly should beat (according to the press clippings and the odds) without working up a sweat.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +221
    "...team wasn't into playing at the Sugar Bowl..." Ya think? I hope the trainers are never 'not into' taping the players ankles, or the coaches are never 'not into' coaching, or the tutors are never 'not into' helping them learn. I have always thought, and still do that the Sugar Bowl is an honor. It is a BCS bowl in our back yard. But-It's over, they got spanked, but I hope to God they learned something. More importantly, I hope they give a crap...
    "We are the boys of ole Florida,
    who play when we want to play...
    We'd rather be listening,
    to Kayne West and bitching...
    we're really the best in the land.
    Oh yeah?

nuff said. GO GATORS!
  4. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    1. the money for the conference is one reason. People say we lost money but we actually made money. Just didnt make as much as we could have.

2. The practices are so important for the younger players. It is an extra spring by going to a bowl game.
  5. gatorzguy28

gatorzguy28 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    I think it was fairly obvious to anyone watching that game that Louisville was thrilled to be there and ready and we were not. That said, I give Charlie all the credit in the world and it showed why everyone had been recruiting Teddy. I know Louisville, UF, Miami, and Alabama all had interest in him. He played amazingly and our lackluster attitude made it look even better. Gotta say, that is up to the coaches to get players ready. UL had theirs ready to go and we didn't.
  6. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +429
    I chalk it up to coaching inexperience (vs. Louisville).

Urban spent alot of time studying how to get his teams ready for bowl games. I remember reading/hearing how Urban had called other coaches and brainstormed about every last detail of lodging to curfew to practice.

Coach Boom, according to what I read and what he said, maybe didn't put the emphasis on the importance of winning a bcs bowl game. When you use the first couple of practices to prepare for next year, you are sending a subtle signal to the team.

I have nothing but respect for Boom, and I'm glad he is our coach. Hopefully in the future he learns from his mistake and we go on to have a really great team going forward.
  7. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,084
    BLAH kicked our ass. No excuse or sense of entitlement to a bigger matchup will change that, and it was flat out embarrassing.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,210
    I wonder if the players really care that they got faced slapped up and down the field in front of national TV. I'm really not sure win or lose it mattered to them as a team. IMO the team was and maybe still is without any player leadership.
  9. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    It would be funny if we somehow played Louisville again somewhere down the line. And they beat us. Again. Wonder what the excuses would be then.
  10. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,023
    The problem is that the mystique of the event is based on hype, not based on anything tangible. The incentive is about "making it to" the big game, not about winning it (the obvious exception being the one playoff game that exists). Teams get an equal share of the bowl money, the players get the exact same compensation (er..."gifts"). It is essentially a glorified exhibition game. That's not to take anything away from a team like Louisville who chose to get up for the game and work hard, execute, and do what they needed to do to win it. It's to say that it simply isn't a big deal to lose a bowl game.

In any 4-year set, would you rather:

Win 2 BCS Bowls and win 2 Citrus Bowls

or

Lose 4 BCS Bowls

(to be clear, the BCS Championship Game is not included in this as it is the one game where additional incentive exists)

This is a pretty clear no-brainer for me - you want to make it to 4 BCS bowl games out of 4 tries rather than only 2 out of 4 tries (regardless of whatever combination of results you come up with outside of winning the national championship). It's a pretty clear financial advantage, it means a more successful regular season, and the players even get better compensation for it.

The regular season is the only thing that matters with the exception of the national championship game. We have 12 games on our schedule that are more important than a non-championship bowl game (13 if you count the SECCG).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  11. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,210
    I believe this goes well beyond the bowl game at least for this year. This team took games off all year when they were deemed to be heavy favorites. There were a few exceptions like uk but uf could have lost some games that shouldn't have been close. I'm convinced its a mindset on the part of the players that has to be changed. IMO this team believes all they have to do is show up and somehow they will win and usually they do. But, some of those games they could have been beat and UL made them pay big time.

For me that's the biggest concern, how to change the teams mindset. Bama could have the same problem but somehow NS doesn't let that happen. I'm hoping WM finds a solution.
  12. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +659
    I don't like excuses any more than you, but let's look at the facts of the situation...

Louisville had lost to 5-7 UConn and 8-5 Syracuse earlier in the year. They won some games but IMO it's fair to say their resume was good but not great.

Meanwhile we beat Vandy, LSU, USCe, TAMU and FSU- all teams that finished with 9+ wins. We only lost once- to a team that took eventual champ Bama to the brink.

Did we have some breaks along the way? Definitely. But the key question to me is if this team played with the effort it displayed vs FSU or LSU would we have beaten Louisville? My biased opinion is that we beat Louisville easily with that kind of effort.

And that's what pisses me off about this.
  13. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    This new generation is pathetic... "Not into playing in the Sugar Bowl"? What? Oh, yes, the new generation that really doesn't care about winning or losing. Everyone gets a trophy. It's okay to lose, it's just a game. The wussification of America.

Old school wouldn't let you beat them in checkers. Old school was going to leave it all on the field even in intramurals. Old school wanted to take out your heart. Old school was jacked up about a scrimmage, let alone the "Sugar Bowl". We're talking about the Sugar Bowl. WTF? When did that become some ho hum game? I blame the coaches but I blame this 'who cares" new generation which is all about "me, me, I, I" and could care less about winning for the team, pride, spirit.

I made a post near the beginning of the season that our offense was so putrid, inconsistent and predictable that our margin of victory was too close against any team. We all saw how that played out as we eeked out wins over average to poor teams. Then we meet a UL team that was very good (don't use their 2 losses to down play them). I keep hearing people say that we were the better team? I never seen that? I don't even know if we had the better players. We certainly didn't at the skilled positions. QB is the most important position on the field and Bridgewater was much more ahead. We play UL 10 times and I see it probably 60/40 in favor of UL because they had an offense with a pulse. Ours was not very good if you are honest.

Saying we weren't interested is just an excuse to better accept an ass whipping. UL handed us our hats and were perfect gentleman in the process. Our players were undisciplined, roosters strutting their feathers after every play, totally clueless to the scoreboard.
  14. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,000
    Ah the old, "old guys are tougher than you" card huh?

Too bad its not formed from factual evidence, just old arrogance. ;)
  15. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Did you ever hear the excuse... "We didn't care about that game", back in the day?

For Josh Evans or anyone to say that is pathetic.

16. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,023
    Hey, I'm all for raising the stakes for the winning team and lower them for the losing team. The new generation is the one paving the way for the playoff system. The old generation is the one coming up with the outrageous prices for these exhibition games and deciding on equal reward just for participating...certainly nothing old school about that.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  17. VanNoord

VanNoord Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +234
    Yep. The Peach Bowl way back when. Had to take like three player votes to even go. Got our asses kicked and the game tape was buried in the practice field.

As for the Sugar Bowl, it was a dream of Gator fans for decades to even get there.

Face it, we were outcoached. Blame Coach Boom, who went pfffffffffff.

One day we'll get Coach Strong.
  18. FLIPCUP

FLIPCUP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,768
    No offense WES, but the playoff system.. soon to grow to a minimum of 8 teams and more, will become nothing more than a tournament. Yep make it like Basketball and Pro Football, screw the regular season and screw strong out of conference games. Just get by so you are invited to the Dance.

Back on topic...
    I don't feel like paying my taxes today or
    I don't feel like being a good Father today or
    I don't feel like being a loving Husband today or
    Damn I hate mealy mouth excuses, give it your best and regardless of the outcome hold your head up. The rest is crap.

and that is all I have to say about that.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,669
    When Spurrier was the coach, just about every loss (when it wasn't Hoke's or Pruett's fault)...
  20. NJG8tor

NJG8tor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    Yeah I can see it now. Alabama gets beat by aTm in the regular season and all the announcers can talk about is despite their loss how "tournament ready" Bama will be in a few weeks.