Josh Evans says team wasn't into playing at the Sugar Bowl.

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by geauxgator1, Jun 21, 2013.

1. rounds

rounds New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Unfortunately, Boom's philosophy, so far publically, at least, is that all games are equally important... A good idea, on paper, but you are dealing with 17-21 year-olds for the most part. It is the coaches job to get the team ready to play at full potential, not too high, not too low-it is why we pay them big bucks.
    Expecting kids to do it themselves is wrong-headed, imo. Another loss to Jawja and Will may change his philosophy...
  2. sec1

sec1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +54
    gator 7 5 is right .... i agree
  3. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Against Oregon I think we would've looked a little better than KSU did but not enough better to make it a truly competitive game.
  4. socraticsilence

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Why? That's an entitlement mentality- I mean I think we probably beat most of the BCS teams last year (I'd only favor Bama, Oregon and Stanford, we'd be equal with KSU, be slightly favored over FSU and Wisky and favored by a ton over N. Illinois).
  5. socraticsilence

Ratings Received:
    +5
    I would hope so as I don't think Will has 2 more losses to Georgia left in him, unless they're seperated by a ton of wins. He's already the least successful coach in that rivalry in more than two decades, doubt the Bulls would tolerate 4 straight regardless of his success otherwise.
  6. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    It was obvious. We were flat as hell. Yes I know some are going to prattle on about poor sportsmanship, we should never be down ever, blah blah blah blah. It happens. We are not the first team it has happened to and we won't be the last. It has happened to us before and it will happen again. It is reality.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. wci347

wci347 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +307
    They will eventually play again - perhaps with no one from either team from the Sugar Bowl game still on roster. But it will be major motivation for us when it happens.
  8. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,827
    There is some sort of weird concept that players are robots and should be able to shed all outside variables. The real world just doesn't work like that.
  9. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,473
    It is what it is. However, I was thrilled to hear his opinion on our coaches, qb, and the team. If I was a recruit, this would definitely get my attention. He said a lot of great things about our program.
  10. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,118
    Good post.
  11. gatorkarl

gatorkarl VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    I don't see one positive thing to take from that game, can't even say the extra practices were a plus because the results of those practices were heartbreaking to watch. The only thing of importance is that from now until the end of record keeping of college football the Gators got another bowl loss.
  12. bearshark

bearshark Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Rather, we were into the game as players or fans, diappointed or not, at game time Louisville was ready to play and they were the better team for those 2.5 to 3 hours at the Sucralose Bowl.
  13. Swamp_Swagger

Swamp_Swagger Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    After being a crap whole of a team for two years, to a BCS bowl team when everybody had written you out from the start? I agree we could have maybe reached the title game but after being a bottom dweller you would think they would have been estatic that they help push Florida back near the top.

UL played like it was the Super Bowl and spanked us good. I think we would when 9 out tens times, but we underestimated them, they took a early lead thus taking away our run game along with Bridgewater being better than I thought
  14. 1984Gator

1984Gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Then again, urban wasn't invested so why quote him?
  15. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    This is simply unrealistic. Of course the players were disappointed. We've seen it many times. It sucks but.....deal with it. Its the reality. Teams get disappointed in their bowl matchups and come out flat sometimes. I believe the same was true of Southern Cal and LSU this past bowl season.

I swear some of y'all act like this has never happened before. It has. Many times. It will continue to happen. No it is not a reflection of a particularly bad coaching staff. It happens quite often. It always has and it always will.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,473
    How many of you were looking forward to watching that game?? How many of you were excited when you heard we would be playing them in the Sugar? I was more excited about playing Tennessee than the Sugar bowl. It is not an excuse for us losing but I can understand the disappointment the team felt. Time to move forward and look ahead to next year. I felt pretty good after reading what JE had to say about this teams potential next year.
  17. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Good thing you didn't put your money on Cincy in the 2009 Sugar Bowl. Or on Maryland in the Orange Bowl a few years back. : - )
  18. 1gatorbear

1gatorbear Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Obviously, we were good but not that good.
  19. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    During Meyer's glory years at UF -- before his health issues hit -- UF was a machine that beat good teams and bad teams, or lost close games to good teams. I think we only suffered one blowout loss where we were totally dominated during that period from 2005 to 2009 - to Bama in 2005.

I'm a nervous wreck on gameday, but in all my years as a UF fan, I had never been so confident about our chances of winning week in and week out as when UM was our coach. Say what you will about UM, he had the team ready to play no matter the quality of competition.
  20. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,462
    Those extra practices are huge for the younger players. The people it benefited the most you didn't even get to see play.