Josh Evans says team wasn't into playing at the Sugar Bowl.

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by geauxgator1, Jun 21, 2013.

1. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    How do we know Louisville wasn't half-assing it in the Sugar Bowl? They weren't playing for a National Championship either.
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,893
    It was their national championship.
  3. WESGATORS

WESGATORS VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +860
    It doesn't matter. Just as it didn't matter when we were playing U-La-La or Missouri last year. When you win, you played hard enough.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,457
    You're virtually alone. The vast majority of the GN say we gave the Georgia game away, and I have yet to see anyone here say FSU was better than Florida, even in 2010-11. We gave away the FSU game in 2011 as well...

If memory serves, the reason we lost to Michigan was due to our inexperienced defense. Y'see, if we would have had our NORMAL defense, we would have won. their defense was decent, ranked 24th. Florida's was ranked 41st, a difference of 17 places. It wasn't like Florida had the 103d ranked defense in the nation. It was simply garbage BY OUR STANDARDS.

By comparison, Oregon had a better offense and defense than Auburn (defense was 34th in an offensive conference to 60th in a defensive conference), yet Auburn won.

Texas A&M had a 57th ranked defense in a defensive conference, while Oklahoma had a 64th ranked defense in an offensive conference, and both had great offenses, yet the Aggies crushed the Sooners in their bowl game. I wonder if sooner fans said they just didn't want to be there?
  5. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    It's clear that you're on some kind of Quixotic crusade against homer fans, but here are a few cliches to consider in this instance:

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean nobody is out go get you.

A blind squirrel will eventually find a nut.

A broken clock is right twice a day.

And every once in awhile a homer fan is actually right when he says his team is better then the one that beat them.

It's simply a matter of fact that sometimes the better team really does lose the game, for any number of reasons including but not limited to their lack of motivation. That's what happened in the Sugar Bowl last season. It was very clear to anyone who saw how the Gators played relative to their earlier performances.
  6. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    The bowl game vs Michigan involved a Senior-laden Michigan team that had underachieved that season after having very high expectations and was going out to win a bowl game for their coach who was being run out of town ...

On the other side was a Florida team with a bunch of Freshmen wondering where they were supposed go to pick up their Crystal Footballs at the bowl game ...
  7. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,427
    Well, I don't know what to tell you except we lie loudest when lie to ourselves. I answered your question as honestly as possible, and that said, we did give away the Louisville game last year. We were the better team, that day and all other days. It was disgusting, inexcusable, and embarassing. Whatever ex post facto excuses we want to generate about not caring and the game being meaningless do nothing to erase the pain of that loss for me. I had hoped that the same would be much more true for our players all off season, but as last Saturday demonstrated they have not quite got that desire to lose to inferior teams out of their system yet. When they do get tired of it, we might see some serious football.
  8. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,746
    Correction: UF was a blocked kick away from going into overtime. The score was tied.
  9. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    Great competitors are competitive even if they're playing against their grandmas. Great competitors hate to lose no matter who they're playing. It was a BCS bowl game. You make a point and annihilate the s*** out of Louisville. They didn't do that. Louisville was the better team that day. And for what it's worth, who wouldn't want Teddy Bridgewater taking snaps in the orange and blue? He's good. I'd take him over Manziel in a heartbeat. Yea, I'm a local, but the kid has pinpoint accuracy and moves well with the ball. He's never going to beat himself. The Gators found that out last January.
  10. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I view them as only marginally better than NFL preseason games in most cases and wish more of us would boycott the damn things to force more change in the system.

IMHO, too many people buy into the over-hyped bowl games as being important ... they are not that important to me and based on the poor performances we see in bowl games every year they are not that important some players and teams across the nation ...
  11. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,746
    I think the '97 game where we beat FSU at home, FSU was probably the better team. Great effort by the Gators (who were also very good) to take that one and deny FSU a possible NC.

When Zook's team beat LSU for their only(?) loss, I think LSU was the better team.

I'm sure I could come up with quite a few more (particularly from our more recent multiple-loss seasons) if I could review the record - my memory of specific games from specific seasons is generally awful.

But, there are always quite a few fans from all teams that will never give the other team any credit. That said, I have always (since the '70's) HATED it when we get matched with a much-lower ranked team in the bowl games, because I'm convinced it can cause the team (any team) to not get fired up for the game - even though they SHOULD get fired up for every game, but human nature is what it is.

So, you're wrong that the excuses started after we lost the game. The "excuses" started before the game :wink: when some of us (including me) warned that the sucky match-up with Louisville (which is starting to get more luster now with all the buzz they're getting) increased the chances that UF might not show up for the game.
  12. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +466
    Whose revenue? Ours? Let's remember that we LOST money on our bowl trip last year. We got a share of the bowl money (most went to the SEC) but then we had to buy Sugar Bowl tix at their normal price, and that, plus travel expenses, ate up all our profit. Again- we LOST money on the Sugar. In the same vein, Clemson lost money when they went to the Orange a few years ago. Bowls aren't beneficial to the participating teams.

If you mean ESPN'S revenue, or Sugar Bowl revenue- I agree, it would hurt their revenue. But I care about the Gators and CFB as a whole. And for them we would all be better off if bowls were officially exhibitions.
  13. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Thank You! The myth that schools make money off of bowl games needs to be done away with ...
  14. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,457
    All quite trite, to be frank...

I am no fan of homers because like all mobs, the homer doesn't think about mitigating factors, strength of schedules, opponents, or anything else. They simply want RESULTS, and if they don't get the desired result, they usually want HEADS to ROLL, usually without any idea what really went on, aside from what they see with their own eyes, which often are deceived.

You didn't answer my question. When was the last time we lost to an OOC opponent or historical rival because they were the better team, even if for only that day?
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,457
    Appreciate the honest answers, but you showed examples of underdog Gator winis - not losses when Florida was favored.

My point.

So the presumption, of course, is that if BOTH teams were EQUALLY motivated, Florida would have crushed Louisville? Doesn't show a lot of respect for Charlie Strong and his Cards, does it?
  16. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I didn't answer your question because you didn't address it to me. I'd say the last time we lost to the team that was the better team -- at least for that day -- was last Saturday against the Hurricanes.

So since I answered your question, I expect you'll answer mine: When was the last time the Gators lost to an inferior team? Has it ever happened? Or in your opinion does the final score determine which team is better, by definition?
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,457
    It's an open question, Lincoln, and you were honest enough to answer that. Coming from someone who hates the Canes as much as I do, that is virtuous.

By definition, the scoreboard determines who the better team is THAT DAY. One does not know who the better team is overall until the end of season. Going back to 1990:

Year---------Florida (- H to H)-----Opponent----------Opp W/L (- H to H)

2012.................11-1.......................Louisville....................10-2
    2011...................7-6.......................None
    2010...................8-4.......................USCe............................8-5
    2008.................13-0.......................Ole Miss........................8-3
    2007...................9-3.......................Auburn..........................8-4
    2007...................9-3.......................Michigan........................8-4
    2006.................13-0.......................Auburn........................10-2
    2005...................9-2.......................USCe.............................6-5
    2004...................7-4.......................Miss State.....................2-8
    2003...................8-5.......................None
    2002...................8-4.......................Ole Miss.........................6-6
    2001.................10-1.......................Auburn...........................6-5
    2001.................10-1.......................Tennessee...................10-2
    2000.................10-2.......................Miss State......................7-4
    1999...................9-4.......................None
    1998.................10-1.......................Florida State.................10-2
    1997.................10-1.......................LSU.................................8-3
    1997.................10-1.......................Georgia...........................9-2
    1996.................12-0.......................Florida State.................10-1
    1995.................12-1.......................None
    1994.................10-2-1....................None
    1993.................11-1.......................None
    1992...................9-3.......................Tennessee......................8-3
    1992...................9-3.......................Miss State.......................6-5
    1991.................10-1.......................Syracuse.........................9-2
    1991.................10-1.......................Notre Dame.....................9-3
    1990...................9-1.......................Tennessee.......................8-2-2
    1990...................9-1.......................Florida State....................9-2

Now I know there are flows with this, but absent anythig better, I have to conclude that Florida was probably a better team than the teams that best us, even if they were the better team that day.
  18. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Disagree. The only thing the scoreboard definitively and objectively determines is who scored more points and thus who won the game. There could be any number of reasons on any number of days as to why the team that scored the most points that day was not necessarily the better team, on that day or any other day.

Final win/loss records, like the score of any particular game, are not necessarily the determining factor in which teams are better than others. That's especially true when comparing teams in different conferences with few or no common opponents on their schedules.

In your attempt to portray yourself as the dispassionate Mr. Spock of Gator fans you have relied on reasoning that is....dare I say....illogical.
  19. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    I don't blame WM or the rest of the staff for the Louisville game. If coaches knew how to motivate kids to play at their highest level every game we'd have a lot more undefeated teams than we do.
  20. socal_g8tr

socal_g8tr New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I was worried when we drew Louisville. They had the key ingredient for most upsets, which is a good quarterback. Consider the fact that our pash rush was not very strong last year and we needed to blitz to get pressure on the QB, that gives a guy like Bridgewater a lot of opportunities. I don't think we didn't try so much as we were shellshocked. I think the whole coaching staff was unnerved by the way Bridgewater was just putting the ball in the perfect spot each time. Especially after opening up the game with a pick 6. That onsides kick to open the second half seemed very desparate and based on what unfolded, it could be one of the worst plays ever in terms of consequences. It's right up there with putting Wuerffel in the 5 receiver set in his own end zone against Nebraska in the '96 Fiesta Bowl.