Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Jonathan Decoster discusses Florida OL in spring, decision to join Gators

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatorrick22, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Jonathan Decoster is one of the more interesting coaches we have, especially when he describes the complexity of teaching the O-line.

This article goes into more detail that I thought even existed in teaching the O-line. When I got done reading this article I realized that coaching the O-line will not be problem this coming year, and it wasn't the reason why we were awful in pass protection last year. It was injuries like I have been saying all along. Now... fast forward to this year.

This is a new year with a new healthier group of young men on the O-line and Decoster is working with the O-line along with Sale. The great news is that they are both on the same exact page and that is an advantage when it comes to teaching these young Gator lineman.

I think we got a great addition to our coaching staff. All we need is a healthy team of players and the coaches will do the rest. One more thing... size, length and talent is NOT a problem with our group of young football O-lineman... It's a matter of how much can they learn in one off season?

Read on, and enjoy...

https://247sports.com/college/flori...fensive-line-rob-sale-billy-napier-230315240/

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Thanks, it sounds complicated but I certainly don't know much about coaching Oline. I just hope it's not so complicated that our guys don't get it and react too slow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, as I was reading through his interview I thought that he too. Too much information might not be a good thing, but he does seem to make sure that he comes back to the fundamental basics every day, so that's good.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. pigpen

pigpen VIP Member

Aug 30, 2023
    So 2 OL coaches is not unusual,in the NFL. Does make since As they have around 15 players to coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We have 17 OL on Spring roster, a handful are walk on types, so we are looking at around 12 they have to coach together. Seems reasonable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    True but getting back to my earlier point that if it takes two coaches to teach 15 or so players, maybe what they are coaching is too complicated.

• Like Like x 1
  7. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

Before we cast judgement on the coaching abilities, let us take a look at the numbers.
    • We have at least 15 OL linemen in the mix.
    • The average practice is 3 to 4 hours a day.
    • Thus, two coaches for 15 players breaks down to 16 to 24 minutes for a player to get one one contact with the coach. per practice session.
    • 16 to 24 minutes is not a lot of one on one practice time when you factor in a 2 to a 3 hour practice.
    • We also need to consider that on each snap in practice that the two coaches have their eyes on the two tackles, two guards, and on center.
    • With five guys lining up on a snap and two coaches looking on, three guys are going to get overlook on every snap.
    • Of course the two coaches are going to look at the practice videos and critic and coach up all of the linemen the next day.
    • So the 16 to 24 minutes consist of a recap of the prior day (video) and the live snaps.
    • It is the Freshmen that require the most time. The upper classmen do not need as much one on one contact.
    • It is not the coaching scheme that is too hard. I believe that just getting everyone (Freshmen and upper classmen) on the same page is the hard part.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    THIS!!! He provided a complex explanation regarding the difficulty of being a lineman in the SEC. He referred to it as "highly technical," and he used terms that was Greek to most of us. Clearly, DeCoster is a craftsmen!

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    Outstanding article, thanks for sharing!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, just because Napier did something unconventional, hiring two OL coaches, does not mean it's too complicated. It seems more likely Napier doesn't expect Sale to be a full time OL coach because he's, by title, involved in coordinating the offense.

11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And not to be confused with Roger DeCoster

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The thought has crossed my mind.

13. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Only reason anyone cares about two OL coaches is that OL was terrible and horrible special teams was missing a coach. Won’t touch the third rail, OC ;)

Just win and no one will give a rodents derrière

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Finlake48

Finlake48 Sophomore

Jul 19, 2017
    All of this is totally correct! However, after the 1st game last year…both you and I would have watched each player on EVERY play 3 times…. on film. I think we as fans are correct in wanting to see improvement and an overall higher level of play. Coaches have notoriously sited injuries…haha. I would too ! Right?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That line last year didn’t look to have the talent.

16. northgagator

That line last year (2023) was another rebuild project due to portal transfers in and out. Offensive lines need to have consistency with the personnel and the offensive playbook. Having guys with at least one or two years together in this scenario is a must. Also, having good O-line coaching is a must as well.

17. northgagator

As I said on a similar reply. Last year's line was a rebuild project. These guys need continuity as team and with the scheme.

18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’s the hardest pat to build and continuity is as important as talent. We have a little of bit now. Maybe average

• Agree Agree x 1