Jon Horford Opens Up On Transfer - ESPN Reports Horford To UF

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ETGator1, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Devon, 6'8" tall and growing, very good offensive arsenal, can get open to shoot or drive. His defense I would bet is decent. If you are looking at defense, play DFS when the other team has the ball. Play D. Robinson when we have the ball at the three. This would open the pg spot to have Dwalk running the pt and having a lot of good three pt shooters on the floor. Kasey Hill starts at the point, but Chioza and Dwalk could be situational pgs when the other team dictates the change. Billy will have his hands full with playing time. A great thing if Horford comes in. Horford would stabilize our front line and we would be deep at every position. I believe Billy's defense focus wears the Gators down in our ever growing seasons and tournaments. With a deep team injuries would be less if giving out a lot of minutes to at least 10 or 11 players. Maybe this year would allow it. Our SEC brothers are watching and wanting our place in the pecking order.
  2. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +334
    Was watching the 06 & 07 championship games...you can't have enough bigs. Horford, Noah, Richard, Moss, Speights...we threw a lot of bigs at UCLA and OSU. Would love to get the younger Horford even if it's just for one year!
  3. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    Practicing again Horford everyday in practice would certainly help our younger bigs, particularly Chris Walker
  4. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +711
    Agreed
  5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Good point.
    Cliff Richardson would have started for AT LEAST 90% of the major conference programs his last season. Adrien Morse would have started for 50%. And of course Maurice Speekes is an NBA guy. (Mispronunciations courtesy of Billy Packer).

Greg Oden had a bit of a stunned look when Horford and Noah took a seat and Chris came in. Oden was probably thinking, "All right! Domination time!" But Chris puts a beefy hand on him and says, "Uh-uh, Junior. You just stay right there."
  6. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +217
    No one develops big men for the NBA like Billy D.
  7. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    Great post. Let's not forget some of the other bigs that Billy did a great job in developing, including David Leach, Udimious Hasbrouk, Vermin Mackeral, Alexander Tiris, Erik Mercy and Map Brunner.
    • Funny Funny x 4
  8. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    We're forgetting about Paul Young and Will Sucrets, already?
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
    Funny you should call it UM. I had (but unfortunately lost) a Gainesville Sun newspaper clipping from some time in the mid to late 1980's. It had a quote in it from a Michigan football player that said that he really wanted to go to Miami, but his GPA and test scores were too low to go there. I got a lot of mileage out of that. I know for a fact that it got back to the then President of U Michigan because I gave it to a friend that was a friend of his and it was forwarded. Much hilarity ensued.

Just because a school happens to be first rate academically doesn't mean that the athletes that play there are. UNC is the poster child for that.

That being said I have no idea about Jon's academic credentials. They may be fine. But saying that he went to Michigan so they must be OK is not correct. My department would reject a Michigan grad if they didn't meet our standards.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    So-called Academic Credentials depend upon what what is viewing.

If it is Test Scores, that is essentially worthless as a predictor of anything at a college or university, other than having a very low order correlation of around .20 with first semester grades, they predict absolutely nothing else at all. By the way, that first semester correlation is the only thing that the Moronic Testing Companies claim, because they haven't found anything else either, despite spending $Millions and $Millions attempting to find something to justify the insane use of testing that is around today.

If you are talking about High School Grade Point Average or Class Rank, this is a relatively strong predictor, but still only relates perhaps .30-35 with ultimate graduation, in other words, it accounts for about 9-12% of the variance in Graduation that a given entry cohort of students exhibits. Not a predictor you can exactly hang your hat on.

If you are speaking of Course Rigor in high school, there have been at least 5,000,000,000 different opinions on what Rigor consists of. In 2007, I conducted an extensive series of researches on a wide variety of student entry characteristics and managed to come up with a functional definition of Rigor that held up quite well over time for that 2007 cohort (about 4,500 USF students), but it didn't tie to specific courses or passing AP exams, or even getting any types of grades. What it identifies, I am fairly sure, is nothing other than a given student's MOTIVATION or INTEREST. I identified 4 different areas where this could be measured: More than the minimum number of STEM or Language Courses (English and Foreign), having taken an AP course (not having passed or passed the Moronic AP tests), having Taken a Dual Enrollment Course with both College and High School Credits associated (however, not having passed that test). Our Admissions Office added some not as valuable predictors, but the key is for a student to exhibit at least two of these, and the more, the better. USF continues to use this, and it may be at least partly attributable for the rather astounding rise in USF's freshman IPEDS graduation rates over the past several years, from about 47% in 2000 to over 60% recently. I tied the number of Rigor Criteria with high school GPA to take advantage of that predictors contribution. Of course, Admissions Office people don't have much of a clue regarding what actually works, because they only thing they are graded on is how many applicants they bring through the door, so, by now they have almsot completely altered the original and proven functional criteria, which they termed ASFs - (Academic Success Factors) and which are now called ASP [AS-Predictors]). The current less valid criteria are here: http://usfweb2.usf.edu/admissions/academic-success-predictors.html, and a paper about the original ones and how they assisted Guidance Counselors tell students what they needed in order to get into USF, a school which accepts only some 40% of applicants today, is here: http://eric.ed.gov/?q=micceri&id=ED510107

Anyway, the whole concept of Academic Credentials is incredibly overrated because, in fact, there is really only one factor that matters regarding how successful a given student will be, and this is their motivation to succeed and their interest in succeeding. In comparison, everything else pales to almost meaninglessness.

Michigan is a very nice school in a beautiful location (in summer at least, the only time a wise person would go there), and it has a strong reputation. Exactly what that is supposed to mean is another unanswerable question.

So, if Horford was successful at Michigan for 3 years, he should do fine in Gainesville.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +377
    Some of your points are valid, but some are not.

As a person that at one time screened every applicant into the graduate programs of my department for about 10 years and then tracked performance versus undergraduate credentials I would agree with you that GRE scores are meaningless. Unfortunately they are not meaningless to the Grad School at UF because GRE scores of accepted students enters into the gawd-awful US News and World Report ranking of graduate programs and so they try to screen out as many students that hurt that metric as they can.

Sigh.

I snipped the rest of my response as nearly everyone else would find it tedious.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    I've also been involved with graduate admissions at the dept and college level. First, as Lurker suggests, it is a different situation with grad applications compared to undergrad. After 35 years of it I can usually identify the ones who will struggle. But for the others there are so many personal factors that predicting success is impossible. From what I understand, different disciplines may place more or less emphasis on different measures. BTW, if I understand the rule, a transfer like Horford would have to enter a graduate program that isn't available at UM. Given UM's size, there might not be many viable options for him
  13. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +852
    I'm betting Mich lacks a Recreation / Tourism degree.
  14. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +377
    Maybe. But if they don't I bet that they have an equivalent.

Added in edit: Everyone should read James Thurber's "University Days" about football players at Ohio State WAY back when.

Do you think that it is better now?
  15. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    I don't know very much about the rule--there are lots of names for similar programs, and lots of subtle differences for programs with the same name. OTOH tourism to Michigan's Upper Peninsula is a big deal, so who knows. Time for the crack NBN research team to hit the Goog
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +161
    If the kid can play hoops, we can find an academic program for him.
  17. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    Horford is really bright and is a terrific writer. I doubt that he would be coming to UF to take up basket weaving.
  18. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    Horford will come here with his undergrad degree and a desire to play basketball elsewhere his final season. Everyone was congratulatory to Cody Riggs when he moved on to ND. The same should be for Horford, whether he comes here are not
  19. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Is there any update on this or any known timetable on Horford?

As far as D Walker, I would agree with the above, until Prather had his MONSTER SR Season turn around. D Walker is WAY better this season than he was last, so who knows how much more he can improve. If he can give us 8-12 minutes next year, along with Graham, Carter, CC & Francis, we will be able to run and press for 40 minutes or until the other team pukes. Next year will be the deepest team we have had in a long time IF guys can earn a spot in the rotation. We have the bodies...
  20. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +177
    Nah. As big as Michigan is, UF is much bigger. In fact, Michigan State is bigger than Michigan, and UF is quite a bit larger than Michigan State. UF offers more degree programs on one campus than any school in the US. Mr. Horford would have no problem finding a challenging graduate program that Michigan does not offer. Now whether that program is of any interest to him may be another story.