Jon Horford Opens Up On Transfer - ESPN Reports Horford To UF

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ETGator1, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    I think this deserves its own thread:

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/04/michigan_jon_horford_transfer.html

Sounds to me like he missed the boat not coming to UF as a true freshman. He's been sacrificing himself for a guard oriented system. Why it took so long to pull the transfer trigger is a mystery to me no matter how much he cared for his teammates and coaches:

"(Transferring) is something that my family has been trying to persuade me to do for four years," Horford said. "So I guess naturally it's always been inevitable -- when people are telling you something all the time."

Horford's father, Tito, played college basketball at LSU and Miami. As the first Dominican-born player to play in the NBA, he appeared in 63 career games in the league. Al Horford, Jon's brother, won back-to-back national titles at Florida before being the third overall pick in the 2007 NBA draft. He currently plays with the Atlanta Hawks.

"They just felt that it's a system that's difficult for big men to have success, especially when compared to the guards," Jon Horford said. "It's a great offense that's difficult to (defend) and it's a paradise for guards, it really is. If you're a guard and you can shoot and dribble and pass, that's the offense for you, but there is very little emphasis on getting bigs post touches."

Horford spent the last two seasons behind Morgan and McGary in a rotation featuring a point guard, three wings and one true post player.

"It's a system that, if given the minutes, any big could have success. I could have had success," Horford said. "I feel like in the games that I was given good minutes -- 16, 17 minutes and up -- I always had success in the system. It's just that those kind of opportunities were so limited."

Horford averaged 6.8 points and 6.3 rebounds in the 16 games he played over 15 minutes last season.

"I don't think my skill development was limited," Horford said. "What was limited was my opportunity to have experiences crucial to players to gain the confidence and the feel that they need to have success on the highest level.

"The one thing I'm truly lacking, and I can admit it, is experience. From a skills development standpoint, the coaches have done an excellent job preparing me."

Those skills, Horford says, weren't given an opportunity "to be displayed" and are "still waiting to be transferred from the training setting to the game setting."

"You need a coach who is willing to play you through mistakes, who trusts you. ... Once you attain that level of comfort, that's when you see guys blossom," Horford said.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +340
    Hopefully we can bring him in and add him to our big man rotation next year. Especially with the Harris situation.
  3. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +690
    I don't think we pursued him that aggressively out of HS. Not sure what our interest would be now. He's clearly a smart, classy and well spoken kid. Whatever he does, I wish him the best.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. allanhovey

allanhovey Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +207
    Do we even have room for him? I mean, aren't all our scholarships taken for next year?
  5. Crono139

Crono139 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +86
    Lose 4 seniors, add 3 newbies = 1 left
  6. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    I think a guard heavy system can be great for a big man. Lots of rebounds off missed 3 pointers and easy baskets when the guards drive and the defense collapses. Not sure what happened with him there, but Beilein is a great coach. If Horford was better than the players in front of him, he would have played.
  7. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +835
    I'm guessing the Horfords won't be caring if and where Joe gets a scholarship.

It will be interesting to see where he winds up.
  8. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +668
    Horford and Harris would be a nice combo to have to add to the front line. I would think the Horfords would trust Billy more than anyone else out there.
  9. ETGator1

Ratings Received:
    +215
    You're right. I got this from Scout. They listed 3 offers: Michigan/Alabama/Providence:

Schools of Interest:
    SchoolInterest LevelOffer?Visit DateSigned LOI?

MichiganVerbalYesNone
    AlabamaNo InterestYesNone
    FloridaNo InterestNoNone
    KentuckyNo InterestNoNone
    Michigan StateNo InterestNoNone
    MinnesotaNo InterestNoNone
    ProvidenceNo InterestYesNone

Jon has gone from a 6-8/200 3 star athlete to 6-10/250 with far better skills/experience than we can expect in 14-15 from any true freshman. Maybe he goes to Alabama (Anthony Grant could seriously use him) or Providence, but I hope Billy D gives him serious consideration. Either that or get Damontre Harris cleared up to the positive side of the ledger.
  10. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +414
    The fact that Damonte Harris is practicing with the team means that he is out of the doghouse, although he is sure to be on a short leash.

Honestly, I don't really think that adding another player with 1 or at most 2 years left of scholarship eligibility left is such a good idea.

Now, someone like Finney-Smith who had 3 years remaining would be a far better option.
  11. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +681
    Think we passed on him in HS and I'm guessing he wants to go to a place where he can definitely start. Doubt that would be the case here.
  12. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    I would bet that he is an option is Mourning's son picks GTown over UF and frankly, I would expect much more out of Jon than any true FR.

PG - 2 - KH, CC
    SG - 3 - MF, EC, DG
    SF - 3 - DW, DR, BF
    PF - 2 - DFS, AM
    C - 2 - CW, DH

That's 12 if we lose no one else, so we have one spot.
    Arguments for: It's only one year, we can replace his ship with a FR next year.
    Arguments against: It's only one year and we lose DH and most likely CW & DFS to the draft. Not sure if AM is a JR or SR, so it is better to have a FR come in and learn this year and be ready next year. Of course, if Trey Mourning doesn't pick us, I don't know that there is anyone else on the board to take.
  13. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +340
    My understanding is it's Mourning or nothing as far as the freshman class, so why not add Horford if he's willing to come? You can never have enough quality big men and his 6.8 points and 6.3 rebounds in games where he got over 15 minutes is not bad.
  14. ETGator1

Ratings Received:
    +215
    I'd only disagree to say that if we don't get Trey Mourning, UF could help itself a lot for the 14-15 season by taking a senior one and done like Jon Horford to complete the roster with a quality player. My preference is to get Mourning for the long run if possible. However, I don't see it happening with Alonzo so tied in with Georgetown as has been revealed by Bullis.

Another Dorian-Finney Smith, if there is one available, would have to sit a year unless it's from a school with a removed coach and the player asks for an NCAA appeal to play rather than sitting out. Inasmuch as we've passed most of the coaching changes by now, there may not be a Dorian Finney-Smith out there or one that can play immediately if an appeal is granted by the NCAA, see Eli Carter without the injury.
  15. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +737
    wouldn't he have to sit out a year?
  16. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +234
    If you are talking about Jon then no he won't have to sit out a year. He will graduate from Michigan this spring. Thus, he is technically not a transfer but merely taking classes as a graduate student with one year left of NCAA eligibity. The transfer rules don't apply in that situation.
  17. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +479
    UF is recruiting another 6'9 kid who is coming in for a visit Kevin Ndahiro
  18. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +370
    I keep repeating myself, but I think that if we could get Chris Obekpa, that would be in our best interest.
  19. ETGator1

Ratings Received:
    +215
    Bullis said in a different thread that Obekpa isn't coming to UF.
  20. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,592
    Can't see many reasons why we wouldn't go after him then? Averaging 6 points and 6 rebounds in the Big Ten is a pretty good indicator that he can be pretty productive here too. Donovan's track record with putting bigs in the NBA (or other professional leagues) speaks for itself.

Could be a no-brainer for both parties...hoping we get him!