1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Joker Phillips resigns; Chris Leak to coach receivers

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Jun 11, 2014.

1. g8tr96

g8tr96 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +964
    +1000
  2. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,365
    The ones that I have talked to like him and think he's very knowledgable. I think he will do fine. I think Joker just had that father figure/role model character that the guys were drawn to.
  3. irongator9

irongator9 Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    I hope Leak turns out to be a great coach, but speaking purely from a fan perspective, this is just another frustrating setback for a regime with an already slim margin of error. After everything that's transpired over the past four years (particularly on the offensive side of the ball) and heading into what is thought by most to be a "make or break" season, you can't have this nonsense. Pat Dooley referred to it as "Zookluck" because it happened at a time when WM finally had put together the staff he envisioned - but what does it say about this regime if it took the fourth year to put together an ideal staff in the first place? Is this now a potential excuse for any lack of production in the passing game this season? The fan base doesn't want to hear that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,705
    C'mon. What staff selects its coaches quickly and keeps them for years? I can think of Beamer at VT, but even he changed up his offense after years of stumbling. As our receivers were basically inert last year, I am confident that we will have a more cohesive staff. The fans are making way too much of this.
  5. irongator9

irongator9 Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    It's not that big of a deal in and of itself. I'm speaking more to the larger perspective of a regime sorely needing to prove its offensive mettle to a highly skeptical fan base. You probably don't want to lose your receivers coach to something like this heading into a season pre-loaded with pressure. Could they not skip a beat and Leak turn out to be an even better coach? Yeah, but at this point in the game the fans don't want to hear about another potential stubbed toe on the offensive side of the football.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  6. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    I hear ya.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  7. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,692
    Well said. Completely agree.
  8. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +456
    I don't think it matters one bit. If our offense doesn't improve substantially, there will be a new "regime" in town.

I believe it really is as simple as that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,007
    Haha Miami coaches are being banned.

Luther Campbell, the former frontman of the controversial rap group 2 Live Crew and current defensive coordinator at Miami (Fla.) Norland High School, wrote in today's Miami New Times that University of Miami football assistants are banned from several high schools around the state due to accusations the Hurricanes turned in a recruiting violation to the NCAA on former Florida assistant Joker Phillips.

"Both universities are not commenting on the matter," Campbell wrote. "However, head coaches at several high schools around the state have decided to ban Miami coaches from coming on their campuses."

Here is the link to the full Miami New Times article from Campbell.
  10. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,099
    I figure anyone who refers to our coaches as a regime, is really not hoping for the best for our staff
  11. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,915
    Makes sense, coaches don't like snitching cheaters. I hope they are banned from schools with talent.

Oh, and me so hawny.