Joker Phillips resigns; Chris Leak to coach receivers

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Jun 11, 2014.

1. bigtifosi

bigtifosi Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Maybe Joker was having a meal by himself and the kid just walked up and sat down. Not wanting to be rude, Joker did not tell him he had to leave.

Or perhaps, the kid was sent over to sit with Joker by that very same scUM person who took the photo. Could it have been a setup?

We will probably never know the whole story.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. rump74

rump74 Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    I hope youre right, brother. This program is long overdue for it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +306
    Me too, but would we really give Leak the credit for that?
  4. ces1948

ces1948 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +109
    You're probably right we'll never know the whole story, that begs the question of why won't know the whole story.
  5. floridavol29

floridavol29 Member

Ratings Received:
    +48
    The not wanting to be rude thing really doesn't work. He knows the rules. As for the other, he probably wouldn't have gotten canned over it.

And to whatever poster knocked down some straw man arguments about the severity of the punishment... I never speculated on the severity of the punishment. If this is the only violation... then the punishment would be relatively minor, maybe some lost OVs. No biggie.

And yes, I'm sure it goes on at every university including Vandy, but that is one dumb defense when you've been caught.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +698
    I'm not a conspiracy theorist guy, but I do find it interesting that people (did I read 3 somewhere?) just happened to be there to take a picture of this. I know everyone has a camera on their cell phone now so that's not hard to believe, but how many here would have known that it was a) Joker Phillips b) it was a recruit and c) it was a violation because it was a dead period?

He apparently did it, so I dont have a problem with any discipline for him but this seems very 'coincidental'
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,819
    Agree - you'd really have to follow recruiting to know all that.

Could be a setup or could be Miami was in town to make an illegal contact with the same recruit and Joker beat them to it, so they got the pic instead.
  8. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +429
    Not that Joker Phillips is a household name but he was a head coach at Kentucky. A lot of college football fans would recognize his face. They may not know who he is off the top of their head, but they'd probably know he's somebody.

Also keep in mind this likely took place in the kid's home town and he's probably pretty well known in the community. These kids are superstars in their community, especially if they're good enough to attract big school attention.

Anyone who follows recruiting heavily, and there are a lot of them, would know it's a dead period. When they see a superstar kid, sitting with somebody they recognize as a coach from somewhere, it' doesn't take a whole lot to put the pieces together. And when people see something like that, they talk and probably all of them are going to take a photo. So I'm not buying the conspiracy theory.

I would expect a coach like Phillips to be a little smarter than to take a chance on being seen in a public place with a recruit during the dead period. He deserved to get caught and fired.

Like I said, I doubt it was a planned meeting that the kid knew about. I really don't think Joker would be stupid enough to arrange a restaurant meeting with a kid. My guess is that Joker found out where the kid was going to be eating (maybe from a close friend relative who's a Gator fan) and made sure he just happened to be there to "accidentally" bump into the kid and say hello and talk a little. Joker has always struck me as somebody who has tried to push the envelope of the rules or bend them a little, but I don't think he's a cheater. I think this happens a lot more often than people realize and with lots of coaches.

If that's the case, the question becomes whether this is something Muschamp knew about or did Joker do it on his own? If it was Joker acting alone, then taking swift action to fire him will probably keep us from getting in any significant trouble. But if it comes out later that this is something that other coaches on our staff have been doing, then we could be in bigger trouble.
  9. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +938
    If not, it wouldn't be the first time. He's used to it...
  10. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +261
    Even the few UK fans who are more interested in football than basketball probably wouldn't recognize Joker in a social setting; and I know the vast majority of our fans wouldn't, even those of us who follow the program and recruiting closely.

If this only turns out to be a secondary violation, it'll be virtually harmless as far as repercussions are concerned. Every program in the country commits a dozen or more of those every single year, and either self-reports them or finds themselves in this same situation of a rival reporting it for them... nothing ever comes of it.
  11. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +222
    With cameras on every phone and the NCAA's crazy rules, it's only a matter of time before you're caught.

I can't believe Bama has not be caught. I know a lot of people at UF and LSU who would love to nail Sabin, me included.
  12. floridavol29

floridavol29 Member

Ratings Received:
    +48
    [​IMG]

solid post
  13. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +306
    I was saying that because, if we have 2 1,000-yard receivers, it is going to be because of improved QB and O-line play, and offensive scheme. I don't think the WRs are going to go "Michigan 2007 in the Capital One Bowl" and start making all types of circus catches because of Leak. lol
  14. g8tr96

g8tr96 Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +801

I believe you missed the point #1

I think Worm was referring to CL as being used to not getting any credit because it's widely argued that the 2006 NC title was Tebow"s since CL is hardly mentioned when it's discussed.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +938
    Dead on! If I had a dollar for every time I read that Tebow "led the Gators to two National Championships," I could buy a steak dinner at Morton's. If I had a dollar for every I time I read, "but if Tebow didn't get that 4th and 1 against Tennessee (without ever mentioning Leak's three TD passes to win the game 21-20), we wouldn't have gone to the MNC game," I could by a Magnum of Dom Perignon to wash that steak down...:D

I love Tim, but Tebow can be like a Black Hole, sucking the attention away from everything around him.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,057
    Gotta laugh at these dumb comments. If we were winning, you wouldn't be saying chit about where he went to college. Do you think Carolina fans complain about spurrier going to florida? Win or lose, they love him. Yes, there has been times when it looked a little bleak for Carolina. They stood firm with him and it has payed off. We need to rally behind coach muschamp during this tough time in gator history.

Or you can be a child and call him the 'dawg coach'.

GO GATORS!
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. ces1948

ces1948 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +109
    Seems like a pretty minor thing to fire er ah have a coach resign over. Got to be some parts to this we're not hearing.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. SeaCay

SeaCay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +162
    While I don't discount the possibility of that, there also this- Muschamp has been pretty straightforward with playing it by the rules. He's booted off some guys that would have stayed aboard with other coaches. Muschamp may have packed Joker's bags for a simple infraction like this, in order to: 1) keep more infractions from being a possibility (remove this offender, set the tone with this infraction for other coaches/staff), 2) keep the NCAA at bay. Another possibility is Foley dropped the hammer due to the same reasons.

Agree that we're not hearing everything.
  19. regator

regator Member

Ratings Received:
    +172
    No but that sounds like an FSU fan trying to come up with a plausible story why Winston didn't steal the crab legs.
    The most likely story is he did.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +896
    By the way, do you we have to stop recruiting the player JP had lunch with?