1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

John Stewart practices deceptive editing

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Feb 9, 2014.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,467
    http://www.ijreview.com/2014/02/113...vely-edits-interviews-to-smear-conservatives/

From the article:

One of Jon Stewart’s favorite lines when someone asks him if he should be more responsible in his representation of news stories and politics is to snidely and smugly retort that they do comedy, not news.

One guest, Libertarian economist Peter Schiff, was so angry at how how his hours-long interview was deceptively edited to make him look bad that he explained at length just how they did it, and how they treat liberals differently:

“They’re just looking for words they can put together like a Frankenstein’s monster,” Peter Schiff, finance expert and recent guest of The Daily Show, told Mediaite. “They wanted to put my words together to create a monster that everyone would hate.”

Now at this point you might be saying, well of course they do, they’re the Daily Show! But it’s instructive to point out exactly how they do this, and why it works.

…Schiff agreed to sit down for an interview to serve as the opposing view in a debate about increasing the minimum wage. He knew he could be walking into a trap, as he revealed, “but you remain optimistic that maybe it’s not.”

And Schiff had reason to be optimistic. A lengthy email he released on Tuesdayshows that a The Daily Show producer offered repeated assurances that he would not be taken out of context. “We NEVER edit out of context,” the staffer wrote. “Meaning we never ever show responses to a question we never asked.”

“[R]est assured,” the producer repeated. “NOTHING will be edited out of context.”
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +10,467
    and more...

You might then think that they do this to all their guests, right? Wrong. Schiff cites a blog from an economist on the other side of the political divide, who was also a guest on the Daily Show and was given all the latitude he needed to present his view as clearly as possible:

The equities analyst revealed on his blog that he was afforded the opportunity by Bee and producers to do multiple takes in order to perfect what he was trying to say.

“All of the answers were recorded following each question in one continuous segment,” Ritholtz wrote. “When I screwed up or ruined a shot, they had to go back to ask the question again, with the response immediately following in the same shot.”

“In other words, they don’t cut up your answers or pull them out of context,” he continued. “Question, Answer, Question, Answer. I assume this keeps litigation from angry remote guests to a minimum.”

If you think this doesn’t make a difference, you’re wrong - polling shows that 21% of Americans aged 18-29 cited the Daily Show or even worse, Saturday Night Live, as their main source for news. This is nearly the same rate as those who said they get their news from mainstream newscasts – 23%.

Schiff’s experience was so bad that this is his only advice to other libertarian or conservatives on appearing on the Daily Show: don’t.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,881
    So he doesn't regret the point he was trying to make, only regrets now he said it, and that's the Daily Show's fault?
    If he wants to make the argument that liberals and conservatives are treated differently that's a separate argument, but complaining because he said something dumb is sour grapes.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,459
    first: it's JON STEWART.
    no one here seems to remember that. lol.
    second, he's a comedian, for all the importance the right tries to attach to him, he does remain a comedian. his show is on comedy central.
    sure he leans left. but who cares how he edits? it's a comedy show.

:)

i thought conservatives already understood not to go on that show. they can't win on that show.
    and on the flip side: jon appeared on bill o'reilly's show (more than once actually, they seem to be friends) but his appearance was shredded, edited...and had a totally different outcome than what actually happened.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +10,467
    who gives a rats ass how the asshat spells his name
  6. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +942
    and the argument is the same, using the daily show for news is as wise as using fox news. don't do it.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. vertigo0923

Ratings Received:
    +5,459
    me. lol.
    :D
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. vertigo0923

Ratings Received:
    +5,459
    yeah. this.
  9. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +10,467
    funny how libs use johnny boy all the time when it meets their needs
  10. vertigo0923

Ratings Received:
    +5,459
    not me.
    i enjoy the show. but i don't use material from the show to justify anything liberal.

oh yeah, that'd be 'jonny boy'

:D
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,222
    "I agreed to do an interview with a comedy show, and when I said something stupid in my interview it made it onto the show while more intelligent things I discussed stayed on the cutting room floor!"

Um, no kidding?

This is similar to why I always wondered how Colbert actually got congressmen to do his "better know a district" segment. Inevitably they'll say something moronic, and inevitably it will make it onto the show because it's a comedy show.

You know what's funny? When a guest or interviewee says something stupid. It's pretty obvious that's what's going to make it onto the show.

And I'm not real clear why he's complaining about "deceptive editing." They didn't piece it together to make it look like he said something he didn't and it's clear that a short segment on a 30 minute show wasn't going to use the whole three hours of interview he recorded. He's just upset they chose to include the stupid remark he decided to make, despite the fact it should be relatively clear going in that if you say something bizarre that makes your interview funny, that's what a comedy show is going to pick to play.
    • Winner Winner x 3
  12. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +942
    last time i used the show as a source he was blasting obama, guess i better retract it.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,082
    It's still a comedy show bill. He's got no one to blame but himself. He's just upset that he said something really stupid and offensive to some, and well, he looked stupid.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,084
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,089
    Where did you get that from? He was giving them the benefit of the doubt because he believed their lies. It's obvious that the show producers lied.
  16. vertigo0923

Ratings Received:
    +5,459
    they do normally throw an ENTIRE interview up on their website. i doubt there's an exception to this.
  17. coreyalan23

coreyalan23 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Creativeediting as opposed to what? Fox News, who are more than one media figure and who actuly hold themselvesvout as a news service and deny that they are a propaganda outfit that gets theit headlines, lead ins, stories and quips from PR firms and political think tanks?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2014
  18. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +975
    LMAO.....you could not have posted this with a straight face considering the daily deceptive editing at Fox News, by conservative talking heads, et al.
  19. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +878
    John Stewart is a poor man's Howard Stern.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +942
    morning drive shock jocks like those two idiots lex and terry are the poor man's stern, they would kill for stewart's position .