1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

John Egbunu - Potential transfer candidate from USF

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Jonas, Apr 28, 2014.

1. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,141
    Just pave it all over.
  2. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +416
    What is this thread about anymore?

As an absolutely avid student of life (and, believe it or not, life after about 1880, life includes basketball), I always find it interesting what "wild" animals manage to share space with humans, which is not an easy thing to do due to the fact that humans are taught to fear everything that isn't made of metal, cotton, plastic or asphalt - things that really should be feared.

The fact that a bobcat can make it into Oakland is simply amazing. I live in Eastern outskirts of the Tampa Florida area, and we commonly see gators, raccoons, possums, black racers, indigo snakes, ringneck snakes, various water snakes, black widows, pileated woodpeckers, wood storks, ibis, sandhill cranes, herons, red tailed hawks, barred owls, Florida rats as well as their ubiquitous close cousins, the squirrel, and, of course Seagulls (or more properly, Gulls). Gulls, squirrels and rats are the most common sharers of cities or suburban areas. And, of course, today there are more deer in the US than there were when the first White Invaders arrived because they thrive in farmland areas. Florida is not the best environment for deer however.

Other than birds, most predatory animals have been largely eliminated by humans. I understand there was still a bounty on wolves in Wyoming not too long ago.

Perhaps the most amazing creature in the US is the Pronghorn Antelope. The fastest land animal in the US. Watching one of those guys move is like watching the Michael Jordan of animals. Simply astounding.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,968
  4. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +903
    Armadillos spreading leprosy, and themistocles waxing nostalgic about Florida wildlife. This thread ended up in some strange places. It is truly the offseason
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    That's the funniest thing you've ever said Osiris, haha. Good stuff
  6. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,968
    :D Pretty funny... but maybe not so far fetched.

I actually recall a story several years ago about rabbits in an area of Scotland (I think) that were getting regularly killed and partially eaten and they couldn't figure out what was doing it at first, as they weren't aware of any local predators. Turned out to be the local deer.

Deer attack dogs pretty regularly defending their fawns.

House cats should be pretty safe I think though. From the deer at least. Large hawks or eagles would be a different story.
  7. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,968
    Definitely the off season. I'm here to help. :D
  8. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +903
    This seems like as good a place as any to confess that I secretly look forward to every single time OaktownGator rates or quotes one of my posts, because I know I'm only one click away from seeing his glorious signature.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,968
    I'm with you on all that. I see far more wildlife in my area of Oakland than I ever saw growing up, exposed to a lot of rural areas from Maine to Florida on the east coast.

A big part of it is that there's no hunting out here in my area, so these animals have no reason to hide from us, but it is still impressive how well acclimated they are to living among us.

The number of black widows that used to be in my neighborhood several years ago was a bit disconcerting, especially when my daughter was young and dog was a dumb puppy. I think I may have personally exterminated them from this particular hood though. After getting a few in the house and seeing a bunch in retaining wall areas on my street, I went hunting them and killed over a hundred of them over the course three or four years. Then no more problems. I normally try to live and let live, but don't abide by critters that pose much risk to little ones.

The skunks are a pain in the butt because my dog is too stupid to learn to leave them alone. Glad there aren't any porcupines out here. :eek:
  10. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +696
    I'll take the black widows over the scorpions we get. Nasty little buggers. But if you want to scare yourself, next time you are in Phoenix or Tucson, go outside with a black light. Scorpions glow under it. At least the cats are relatively "immune" to the poison. I think it's because cat pads are thick the poison doesn't get into the blood. Though after every cat v. scorpion battle, I have to clean up the cat barf.

In the outskirts of both Phoenix and Tucson, and in the other rural areas of Arizona, small dogs and cats have to worry about birds of prey. There's usually 1 or 2 stories a year about a small dog or cat being scooped up by a hawk or owl. Often happens to some poor pet of a snowbird who only lives in Arizona part-time.
  11. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Having grown up 12 miles south of Oakland, I suspect a lot of you think of it as a typical inner city urban area. The hills on the northern and eastern side of Oakland are maybe a notch below the hills and valleys in the LA area seen in movies. Not at all urban
  12. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +872
  13. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +171
    So, are we gonna get that shot-blocking, -dunking 7-foot center from USF or what? :mad::confused::)
  14. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +903
    Who? This thread is about native wildlife in our surrounding areas. It seems you got lost on your way to Nuttin but Net? :p
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +866
    Not to mention the Coyotes roaming around those parts, and the increasing Jaguar population in the mountains around Tucson
  16. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +358
    If this young man gets on Gator Country, sees this thread has 6 pages of posts and starts to read, you can be sure he will be headed to some place that doesn't have so many critters ;)
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +585
    The scorpions here are small and just a nuisance. Easy to kill, but they still scare me. When my son was two, I found him squaring off with one and about to step on him without shoes. I always chek my shoes before putting them on because they like to hide there.
    When one of my dogs was a puppy and I was potty training him, every time we went outside to pee, there was an owl watching us. A big one. Had the dog being alone, I'm pretty sure that owl would have tried to kill him.
    My dog ate a rabbit once and then decided to leave the carcass on my back porch, and then throw up blood and gore all over his nice little bed in my kitchen.
    Ugh, sometimes I miss just having lizards, and coquís like in PR. Even if the lizards are small dinosaur size.
  18. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,968
    We have a few scorpions in Oakland area but not enough to be a real worry. I got hammered by one of those little bastards walking barefoot in San Diego area though... got me in that tender area between your toes. Blew up and hurt like a mother. I walked on the heel of that foot for a couple of days, before I could stand letting my toes touch the ground.

My favorite animal in this area I haven't seen in a long time was a Great Horned Owl that used to hang in my neighborhood and sometimes perch on one corner of my deck (which in the hills here is about 40 feet above ground level). Impressive bird. Silent when they fly, even as big as they are. And they hunt skunks, which makes me happy. New construction chased him off. I miss that big bird.
  19. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,096
    Very interesting tread. Been busy on Too Hot over the last few days and this one sort of evolved. Definitely offseason.
  20. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452
    Continuing the "off topic" character of this thread. Please forgive. I am a real softy when it comes to wild life.

It is surprising the kind of wild life you can see close to Downtown Gainesville. I have lived in SE Gainesville and near Downtown since 1982. In my yard I commonly see racoons and possums. There have been bear sitings twice in "da hood", but I didn't get to see either one myself. And once there was a Komodo dragon on the loose that was never captured, but it was an escape and not technically wild life. I wonder what happened to it.

I get lots of cool birds in my yard, but I go out of my way to make my yard attractive to them. I literally spend about $1K per year feeding birds. This past winter I had a male Baltimore Oriole in my yard most of the day every day because I used tangerines from my tangerine tree with an appropriate feeder for him. Gorgeous bird.

And I get a lot of migrating warblers in my yard. Very cool birds if you are into that thing. I saw what had to be a Nashville warbler last fall, but didn't get a picture. That would be a rare siting for here. Male American Redstarts and Black and White Warblers have been in my yard. Beautiful creatures.

I also make my yard attractive to butterflies. It makes me happy to see them. I grow several varieties of milkweeds and passion flower plants just for the butterflies.

As for other "wild life" we used to have a lot of "working girls" and drug dealers plying their trade within view of my front door. Not so much lately. Now it is mostly lame-ass hipsters attempting to play music, but what they are playing it is lame-ass as well. They think that they are "wild", but not so much.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1