John Egbunu - Potential transfer candidate from USF

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Jonas, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Agree, I am more comfortable expecting impact from the incoming freshmen than I am these two guys coming off some pretty serious injuries/surgeries.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +701
    You are right, grant1. I meant that it would be too crowded for more bigs. We've got a great frontcourt for next season.
  3. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    I don't really see DFS at the 3, unless our offense really needs his shooting. I was thinking the other options at the 3 are more athletic than DFS.
    I could see any change would be CW starting at the 5, with DFS at the 4. Both Harris & Horford off the bench. Of course with Murphy out the 1st month or so, DFS could start at the 3 then.
  4. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +142
    DFS is pretty damn athletic really, and I am sure they will be working on his shot. Devin is a good looking young 3 also, plenty of time to experiment too.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,175
    That is sort of my thought, though it has less to do with Finney-Smith's athleticism than his ability to execute our stuff. He doesn't run pick and rolls very well and his only sweet spots at the arc from top of the circle to the left of the wing, not on the wings and the corners, where our 2s/3s get most of their looks. But he could fill in adequately if needed.
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,175
    Precisely. With Murphy likely not eligible until spring, we will have to tinker with the 2-4 spots. But the good news is that our five (Walker/Horf/presumably Harris) and our one (Hill/Chiozza) are set. The rest are much easier to mix and match and move guys around at. We've got great versatility there, too, with Frazier (2/3), D. Walk (2/3), Carter (2/1), Graham (2/3), Francis (2/3/1?), Murphy (3/4), Robinson (3/4), and DFS (4/3).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +701
    What shooting is that?
  8. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +951
    He said shooting not scoring :)
  9. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    Egbunu apparently visited last weekend and is visiting Georgetown this weekend.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +444
    sounds like the Mourning tour
  11. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,351
    I am not sure he visited UF last weekend....not saying he did not, but no one I know is aware that he did....Gtown may get Mourning and this kid...and they stink lol....

12. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    I said shooting, not making!! :)
  13. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +930
    We are so deep on the wing, with 7 scholarship players and 2 walk-ons able to contribute at the 2 and 3. That's the biggest reason I expect to see DFS spend most of his time at the 4.

PG: Hill (2017), Chiozza (2018)
    SG/SF: J. Kurtz (2015)*, Frazier II (2016), Carter (2016), D. Walker (2016), A. Murphy (2016), Graham (2017), Francis (2018), D. Robinson (2018), Hodskins (2018)*
    PF: Finney-Smith (2016), C. Walker (2017)
    C: Harris (2015), Horford (2015)
  14. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    Oh true. I was on a GTown board and they said he visited us last weekend. Some are even talking about Mourning walking on for them which would be crazy.
  15. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +142
    G town is absolutely horrible and there coaching is very suspect. But they use the same FSU factor(Famu girls)when it comes to recruiting( the women at Howard)
  16. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +874
    The only problem with that is most of those guys are not really starting caliber players, 2 of the ones that are [arguably] that caliber are battling potentially career ending injuries (Graham and Carter).

Thus, as of today, we know we have Frazier and D. Walker who have played there for us on the wing thus far. Murphy played the 4 at Duke. Though he practiced some at the 3 for us this season, he has not played there yet so he's an unknown commodity and unknown if Billy wants to play him there. The other 2 (freshman) have not played a game or practiced in our system, and there is no way Billy puts that much on freshmen early in the season and puts DFS on the bench in a post rotation while 2 freshman try to learn our ball screen system.
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,175
    I agree somewhat, at least in the early going, but I still find it far more likely that Frazier and Walker play "down" at the three to give us better floor spacing than for DFS to go "up" to the wing. I can barely recall an instance where he ran a pick and roll last year, and while he was great passing around the perimeter and once he got in the lane, he struggled making most entry passes in our high-low game and handling the ball from the arc. Now, Prather was hardly an ace in some of those phases himself and he did just fine at the three, but I am still skeptical about Finney-Smith getting extended minutes on the wing. More in the early going now that we have Horford as another post, sure. Some minutes here or there in big lineups as the season goes along, sure. But I can't imagine him playing anything like, say, an even split of his minutes there when we have so many available options.
  18. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    I can't disagree with anything you say but the other side of the coin is that at some point you need to have your best 5 players on the floor even if they aren't quite at ideal positions. We've seen Donovan do that numerous times in the past. I tend to think if we are just talking our best 5 guys for next year it is Hill/Frazier/DFS/Walker/Harris. Now that lineup may not get the bulk of the minutes and it may change if a player like Murphy really comes on strong. That being said I have to think that in crunch time Hill/Frazier/DFS/Walker/Harris will be our lineup at least in the first half of the season.
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,175
    Maybe. But how do we know Harris will definitely be among the top five? And will that be offensively or defensively? We subbed DFS and Yeguete liberally at times late in games for offensive-defensive purposes. If we are talking defense, then I can see DFS at the three. He can man up big wings and he fits well in our matchup, 2-3, and 1-3-1 zones. How he will do in the press is an open question since his position has the chief read on traps at midcourt.

I am less confident offensively. Unless Harris really takes a step forward (and we haven't seen the kid play in two years, so who knows where he will offensively), I think Donovan would much rather space the floor with C. Walk at the five and DFS at the four, then either D. Walk (if his shooting is improved), one of the freshman (likely Robinson), or Murphy at the three.

I guess I don't see the "best five" argument being valid in hoops all the time. You have lots of personnel specific stuff that you do, plus you can't guard a center with a perimeter player or a guard with a big. Donovan isn't chained to positions per se (power forward, shooting guard, whatever), but he does run his stuff and running that stuff requires kids who can execute it. That's why I expect him to avail himself of the flexibility we have on the roster and really tinker with things.
  20. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    You are right that everything is speculative (which is the fun of a message board). At USC Harris was a guy with a piss poor work ethic that put up 7/5 with 2.3 blocks in 25 minutes. If this past year gave him a wake up call and his work ethic has improved (along with maturing in the weight room and spending time improving his knowledge of the game) I can't see him not being one of our 5 best overall players. I agree that the "best five" argument isn't valid all game but it is certainly valid in crunch time (with the exception of a player who can't shoot FTs). To me to start the season if we are in a close game at the final minutes, I have to imagine the lineup is Hill/Frazier/DFS/Walker/Harris. I don't think Walker is good enough to be playing in crunch time. Robinson/Murphy could be the wild cards in that situation which why I say things may change as the season progresses.