John Egbunu - Potential transfer candidate from USF

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Jonas, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +156
    Pretty sure he'd be done.
  2. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,103
    I doubt Egbunu is eligible next season wherever he transfers....coaches getting fired almost never results in a waiver being approved...let's get him in campus soon and take it from there....nothing concrete, but I do know Eli's leg injury was really bad and mid point in season his recovery was going very slow/poorly...
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    We wouldn't need Egbunu next year anyway. Our depth in the post is fine. Plus, he needs some serious work to get up to speed offensively.
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    Right now, it's too crowded in the UF frontcourt for next season. Would love to get a talented 7-footer here to learn the system and how REAL basketball is played, and then have him eligible the season after.

Gator basketball news just gets gooder and gooder, don't it?
  5. GatorChoice

GatorChoice Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    I saw him just a little bit last year, and he appears to be a good athlete - moves very well for his size. Lots of potential there.
  6. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,103
    Agree, one reason we do not recruit a lot of 7 ft is because they do not move well enough, but this kid runs court very well for a larger player (he is somewhere between 6'10" and 7" and 250 or so)....

7. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +479
    Sounds like Graham is the slot that could be used. His situation sounds pretty much like Adam Allen. Just won't be able to overcome that kind of injury.
  8. rtgator

rtgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    I think you mean "Trading Places", with Eddie Murphy.
  9. jmoliver

jmoliver Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +119
    Hell, Mitchel Wilbikin was just released from his LOI for what its worth
  10. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +441
    Dammit, you're right. I thought that sounded wrong when I wrote it. I am covered in shame.
  11. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603
    Following Danny Manning to Wake, no?
  12. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +516
    I wouldn't say its "too crowded", but perfect. We have 4 guys that can play C or PF. 20 minutes each.
  13. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,331
    Even if he couldn't play next season, Egbunu would be great to have in practice to compete against the starters. The more the merrier.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    Very few coaches like to rotate four players in the post in even splits. Donovan prefers a three-man rotation with a fourth who can play limited minutes at the five and a wing who can slide down to the four in small lineups to space the floor. We have lots of options right now at the posts and the rotation is pretty wide open. C. Walk will obviously get his 25 minutes, likely a combination of the five and the four. If Harris is on track, then he certainly gets a minimum of 12-15 at the five, though he could conceivably get starter's minutes. Horford looks like more of a five than a four for us, but also in that 12-15+ range.

The big question is what we do with the other guys. Does DFS play the four again, where he stretched the floor for us and rebounded so well? Or do we try him at the three more? Does Murphy play the four for us, which is where he played at Duke, or the three, which is where we projected him as a prep and he played for us in practice last spring? I suspect adding Horford cements Robinson at the three, though I could easily see him moving down to the four next year or thereafter.

In general, the depth on this team is amazing. If health and discipline issues resolve themselves, this may in fact be the deepest team of Donovan's tenure, with a legitimate 10-12 able to contribute this season. The number in the rotation likely comes down to around 8-10, but we will have a ton of versatility and flexibility.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,331
    I'm curious how you see our incoming frontcourt's offense in comparison to Young and Yeguete. DFS is the only known quantity IMO. Walker didn't show much on offense this past season, and Harris, Horford and Murphy have yet to play in a game.
  16. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    I've thought about the frontcourt rotation too, I'm almost inclined to say leave DFS as the 6th man still getting 20+mpg, and start C. Walker at PF & Harris or Horford at Center. DFS is 1st in for either Harris or Walker, if for Harris, Walker slides to the 5. IF Harris isn't there, I'd start Horford at the 5 with CW at PF, CW would then probably log 13 min at PF and 12 Min at C. DFS/Murphy and Robinson can pick up the extra Min. at PF easy.

Averages:
    Perfect world
    Hill 24 min/Carter 12 min /CC 4 min
    Frazier 24 min/Carter 10 min/ Francis 6 min
    Murphy 20 min/ D. walker 12 min / Robinson 8 min
    C. Walker 15 min / DFS 23 min /Murphy or Robinson 2 min
    Harris 18 min/ CW 10 min / Horford 12 min

Non-Harris
    Hill 24 min/Carter 12 min /CC 4 min
    Frazier 24 min/Carter 10 min/ Francis 6 min
    Murphy 15 min/ D. walker 15 min / Robinson 10 min
    C. Walker 13 min / DFS 23 min /Murphy or Robinson 4 min
    Horford 22 min/ CW 15 min /DFS 3 min

Tough Game line up (9 man rotation)
    Hill 24 min/Carter 12 min
    Frazier 25 min/Carter 15 min
    Murphy 20 min/ D. walker 10 min / Robinson 10 min
    C. Walker 13 min / DFS 23 min /Murphy or Robinson 4 min
    Horford 22 min/ CW 15 min /DFS 3 min
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    All of the transfers nplayed elsewhere, though, so we at least of some inkling of what they can bring. Harris has a decent mid range game, Horford isn't terrible on the blocks, and Murphy can face you up, get to the rim, and shoot it with a little range. And Walker will be fine offensively. Not many bigs have his kind of skills. You can't take much from last year because the dude didn't practice until December and played less than two months worth of games.

Plus, I am seldom worried about offense in the post provided we have size and talent. Our offense doesn't depend on scoring in the paint more than it creates offense down there. The floor spacing, pick and roll actions, and high low stuff creates a ton of scoring opportunities for bigs. The real issue is whether we can space the floor better at the four than we did a year ago with Young/Yequete. If so, then the bigs will get their points because you won't be able to double as easily.
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    Typically, our starting/rotating bigs end up in that 20-25 minute range. I don't see any world in which DFS stays a sixth man or doesn't get 25+ minutes. He is a fourth year player who has been with us for two seasons, he is the only big who can legitimately stretch the floor for us with his shot, and he made some huge plays for us last season (game winning foul shot against FSU, game winning three against Vandy, et al). The big question is whether he starts at the four or the three, not whether he starts.

I am inclined to think we do see C. Walk getting good minutes at the four now that Horford is in the fold, but he still has to prove he can do what we want at the spot in terms of passing out of the high post and top of the key, reading and executing our high ball screens for pick and rolls and pick and pops, defending ball screens, playing at the front of the press, etc.
  19. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +358
    Interesting discussion about the rotation and minutes, but what is the likelihood we could land Egbunu?

No mention of Graham in the rotation discussion, is there any serious discussion of a medical hardship or outright transfer? I would love to have the 7 footer that can hone his skills in practice for a year and then earn serious minutes with the departure of Harris and Horford
  20. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,331
    I think we need to wait and see how he and Carter both bounce back from their medical issues before counting on them at all.
    • Agree Agree x 1